Safeway Northern California Ad Has The Vons Logo Now

California. No non-grocery posts.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Safeway Northern California Ad Has The Vons Logo Now

Post by Romr123 »

I see this two ways...in Michigan I see the Meijer and Aldi ad (one page only) inserted into in the Sunday paper (which I do get delivered). Helps me make my Meijer list (I'm there 3 weeks out of 5, I'd estimate) CVS/RA used to be there, but no longer. Get the mailed "universal delivery" ad which includes an ad for Kroger and each of the nearby Spartan and Hollywood (which uses SuperValu) stores.

That ad never gets me into Kroger nor the Spartan store (1980s vintage Kroger fully-featured block store on main drag of inner-ring suburb--nothing more than a stereotypical urban Chaldean supermarket; has a pharmacy). The ad Hollywood runs is always a 2 week ad, and they have particularly good meat but meh produce, though their on-special produce can be a good deal (since it's often local from the wholesale market rather than through a distributor)

Out in Coachella Valley, CA the Sunday newspaper (which I buy at Jensen's) has a few random store ads but never anything you can rely on. The "universal delivery" mailer includes Albervons/Ralphs/Stater/Vallarta/Cardenas/Aldi and a random fast food restaurant coupon sheet. I rely on that to target my "big" shopping versus "fill-in" for the week--avoid Ralphs (why do those stores suck so in PSP) and Vallarta (where are they located??).

A good ad will get me into Stater (normally Sunrise/Vista Chino----really good store) once during the week, a meh ad makes me not bother.

I need an ad for Cardenas to trigger me to bother going (my husband enjoys steam-table Mexican a lot more than I do). Maybe go once a month/6 weeks.

Aldi and Albervons--I use the ad to make my shopping list. Am in Aldi every other week and Albervons 2 weeks out of 3
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

buckguy wrote: December 1st, 2023, 2:32 pm I wonder how many people read them anymore. The Washington Post sends an aggregation of them to households who aren't print subscribers of the Post. They mostly windup in the recycling bin right away. I use the websites to see who has what on sale and to browse the ads.

Chains like Giant have had access to "next week's ad" for several years online--a switch to two tweek ads doesn't seem like much of a stretch and, increasingly, they seem to have some items on sale for an entire month
The issue isn't really if they send them out in print or not, more that they are offering less different specials when they run the same ad for two weeks rather than a new one each week. It may depend on how each store does ads, as some have more things similar each week and others seem to be more varied (which means losing some of that variety).
storewanderer wrote: December 1st, 2023, 10:53 pm For a drugstore like CVS, Walgreens or Rite Aid this is a great idea as they are already pretty low volume operations and more convenience focused, but I'd also potentially propose just going to a smaller weekly ad with better promotions. These stores spend 15-20 hours of manpower every Sunday to hang ad tags, this is just too long.
I suspect that is part of the issue - always seems to take them a day or more to get the tags posted, meaning those shopping Sunday have problems confirming what is actually on sale. Less of an issue if you don't have to do it as often (maybe switch some shifts around to have more doing it, maybe even do some of it on Saturday PM to have it all or mostly ready when they open Sunday).
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Perhaps switching to electronic shelf tags might be a better option. Best Buy uses electronic shelf tags as well as Kohl's.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: December 9th, 2023, 4:13 pm Perhaps switching to electronic shelf tags might be a better option. Best Buy uses electronic shelf tags as well as Kohl's.
Holiday/Sav-Mor in NorCal has converted all stores to electronic shelf tags. It looks fantastic. Very clean, sleek, organized.

There is another chain I went into somewhere on a trip who had electronic shelf tags in their store and I was impressed with it at the time. But now I forget what store it was or where it was.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Sears in Concord, California has electronic price tags. That is the only good thing about the store.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: December 9th, 2023, 5:58 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: December 9th, 2023, 4:13 pm Perhaps switching to electronic shelf tags might be a better option. Best Buy uses electronic shelf tags as well as Kohl's.
Holiday/Sav-Mor in NorCal has converted all stores to electronic shelf tags. It looks fantastic. Very clean, sleek, organized.

There is another chain I went into somewhere on a trip who had electronic shelf tags in their store and I was impressed with it at the time. But now I forget what store it was or where it was.
The Bristol Farms getting suspicious rumors of closing down recently added a fancy new version of these electronic shelf strips.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: December 9th, 2023, 7:23 pm

The Bristol Farms getting suspicious rumors of closing down recently added a fancy new version of these electronic shelf strips.
I think the store I went to with the electronic shelf tags may have been an Aldi back in IL.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I noticed that my local Sears has gone back to paper price tags. There are only a small number of electronic price tags left. Perhaps the electronic price tags were stolen or broke.

Now Sears uses big paper charts saying 50 percent off and showing original prices and the new 50 percent off prices.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: December 9th, 2023, 7:28 pm
ClownLoach wrote: December 9th, 2023, 7:23 pm

I think the store I went to with the electronic shelf tags may have been an Aldi back in IL.
Before Amazon bought Whole Foods, they had converted all shelf tags to individual LCD screen units. The oddity was that they would light up with a red light for sale items, but WFM would still manually affix a paper price tag to the electronic tag for the sales. I guess people didn't notice the sale items without a separate paper tag. The last WFM I visited had switched back to all paper tags but I think they are not consistent from store to store; remember that they didn't even run on the same POS or other systems until Amazon forced them to upgrade. I remember the Monterey store had stickers from a local cash register vendor on every register and a old two line screen system like Costco still uses until the upgrade.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I have noticed when I view Yahoo pages, the ads seems to be VONS ads and not Safeway ads. This is the San Francisco Bay Area, so we are far from any VONS stores.

When I click on the ads, it goes to the VONS website.

The weekly ads still have the Pak N Save and VONS logos.