Jack In the Box Offers 24 Days of Christmas Deals Starting Dec. 1

Alpha8472

Jack In the Box Offers 24 Days of Christmas Deals Starting Dec. 1

Post by Alpha8472 »

I have not been to Jack In The Box much at all after they stopped their free food offers on their app a while ago. They used to have free food every week when the app was new. Then it all stopped. They still have some discounts, but it involved buying a dollar amount of food first.

Every day of the week is a different food item. These free food deals seem kind of good. I do like the free fries, drink, and shake.

Sunday - Jumbo Egg Roll
Monday - Breakfast Jack
Tuesday - Two Tacos
Wednesday - Oreo Shake
Thursday - Jumbo Jack Burger
Friday - A choice of Curly, French, or Halfies Fries
Saturday - Fountain Drink

https://www.brandeating.com/2023/11/jac ... -2023.html
bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Re: Jack In the Box Offers 24 Days of Christmas Deals Starting Dec. 1

Post by bryceleinan »

@storewanderer - any bets if the Reno locations can execute on this? In the last week, Dayton has been closed more than it’s been open - supposedly they had “system issues.” It’ll be interesting to see if any of the local locations get an uptick in business.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

bryceleinan wrote: December 1st, 2023, 6:49 am @storewanderer - any bets if the Reno locations can execute on this? In the last week, Dayton has been closed more than it’s been open - supposedly they had “system issues.” It’ll be interesting to see if any of the local locations get an uptick in business.
They've had some random free items since around Halloween and no issues with the visits to the core middle Reno locations. I've had positive experiences on both service and food. Management is visible and professional. It reminds me of how they ran the units 5 years ago.

I did go to the Gardnerville one once, and will not go back anytime soon. Took over 10 minutes, I was the only customer, and didn't like some of what I saw with the food handling as I was standing there. It was also quite dirty inside. Whoever is overseeing the units outside Reno isn't doing a good job. The South Lake Tahoe unit is still drive through only and open like 8am to 5pm or something. Not sure why it's even open.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Alpha8472 wrote: November 30th, 2023, 8:56 pm I have not been to Jack In The Box much at all after they stopped their free food offers on their app a while ago. They used to have free food every week when the app was new. Then it all stopped. They still have some discounts, but it involved buying a dollar amount of food first.

Every day of the week is a different food item. These free food deals seem kind of good. I do like the free fries, drink, and shake.

Sunday - Jumbo Egg Roll
Monday - Breakfast Jack
Tuesday - Two Tacos
Wednesday - Oreo Shake
Thursday - Jumbo Jack Burger
Friday - A choice of Curly, French, or Halfies Fries
Saturday - Fountain Drink

https://www.brandeating.com/2023/11/jac ... -2023.html
There is also a T-Mobile Tuesday offer running right now for a Free Spicy Chicken sandwich at Jack. Also Burger King just launched a month of daily specials.

I always thought December was a good month for fast food and January / February is when you get promotional. Guess that's not the case.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: December 1st, 2023, 10:01 am
There is also a T-Mobile Tuesday offer running right now for a Free Spicy Chicken sandwich at Jack. Also Burger King just launched a month of daily specials.

I always thought December was a good month for fast food and January / February is when you get promotional. Guess that's not the case.
This industry and its franchisees have pushed the limit on pricing. They are pricing themselves out.

I think similar to how Target got when all of the other general merchandise "non essential" retail closed during COVID, these fast foods got similarly arrogant when many restaurants closed but they could still be open during COVID. They though the sky was the limit on pricing and now you have McDonalds Big Mac combos over $10, fries pushing $4 for a medium, and various other pricing that in no way equates to the quality or portion size of what is being sold.

Then they say how much people were willing to pay for their products via Doordash, etc. and also seemed to get more confident in increasing prices.

In the mean time many of these chains have screwed around with the menu and messed up or removed too many of the items. Del Taco completely gutted its breakfast variety. McDonalds has cut so many menu items and their "upgraded" burgers are worse than the old ones, nauseating onions now due to being soaked in old grease, just disgusting, need to go back to the raw onion or give the customer an option of raw or these old grease soaked onions. Wendys got rid of those "go wraps" and their temporary items are uninteresting, they keep screwing with the frosty flavors currently pushing that cough drop tasting peppermint which is horrid, after the somehow good but completely artificial tasting pumpkin one. For instance Carl's Jr. used to have a BBQ Chicken on a Honey Wheat bun. This was a great item, it has been overpriced for years. Sometime in the past couple years they started to put it on a normal white hamburger bun and it just isn't the same anymore; there is no reason to go buy it anymore.

But In N Out is busier than ever. So is Raising Cane's. So is Panda Express. Chains that have a strong quality and service reputation and maintain menu consistency (even if not adding and subtracting products constantly) continue to do VERY well. What is the common denominator to those chains? Mostly corporate operated units...
Super S

Post by Super S »

In the past week, I stopped at a Jack In The Box for a milkshake. It was almost $7.00 for a regular. If they don't address their pricing there are going to be locations closing, they are at the point where they are charging more than their food is worth.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Super S wrote: December 1st, 2023, 5:18 pm In the past week, I stopped at a Jack In The Box for a milkshake. It was almost $7.00 for a regular. If they don't address their pricing there are going to be locations closing, they are at the point where they are charging more than their food is worth.
Wow, the locations in my area are 5.29 for the milkshake and I thought that was bad.

This is the problem with all of these brands- McDonalds, Burger King, Jack in the Box. Pricing has gone WILD with certain franchisees. I noticed more price hikes at McDonalds today when I went to claim the free medium fry with $1 purchase. Drinks are now 1.49 (was 1.29), the Big Mac solo is now 6.49 (was 6.19), the Cheeseburger single is now 2.89 (was 2.69).
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I don't think the free food is helping Jack In The Box that much. I went on Friday night and there were no cars in line at the drive thru at my local Jack In The Box. I don't know how they can stay in business much longer. At least the dining room seems to be open until late at night.

Business is really down lately. Most nights there is usually only 1 car waiting at the drive thru. Before the pandemic there would be about 10 cars in line and wait times of about 20 minutes.

In the San Francisco Bay Area prices vary widely from city to city. Shakes are $3.99 at my local Jack In The Box while McDonald's is $4.79. Burger King is $4.29.

Medium Whopper Combo is $12.99. Medium Big Mac meal is $10.39. Medium Jumbo Jack Meal is $8.38.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I am seeing what you describe of business being down at all fast foods.

I think this is an industry problem. I expect a hard turn to "value" shortly. If the franchisees will allow it. They may not. I guess the entire industry can turn into Carls Jrs. - how the heck do they stay in business? No value items, no snack items, two employees on duty at a time, hardly any customers, dark interiors (lights off to save money), interiors that are the wrong temperature (heat/cooling not set good again to save money)...
Super S

Post by Super S »

Alpha8472 wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 1:59 pm I don't think the free food is helping Jack In The Box that much. I went on Friday night and there were no cars in line at the drive thru at my local Jack In The Box. I don't know how they can stay in business much longer. At least the dining room seems to be open until late at night.

Business is really down lately. Most nights there is usually only 1 car waiting at the drive thru. Before the pandemic there would be about 10 cars in line and wait times of about 20 minutes.

In the San Francisco Bay Area prices vary widely from city to city. Shakes are $3.99 at my local Jack In The Box while McDonald's is $4.79. Burger King is $4.29.

Medium Whopper Combo is $12.99. Medium Big Mac meal is $10.39. Medium Jumbo Jack Meal is $8.38.
I think that Jack In The Box chased off a lot of customers due to how they operated during the pandemic, and, at some locations, continue to do so to this day. Locations were randomly closing whenever they felt like it with total disregard to posted hours, and many where the lobby was closed (and at some this is still the case at random times during the day) They have gained a reputation of being unreliable and expensive...$7.00 for a regular milkshake, $4.00 for a basic Breakfast Jack, etc. It's almost as if they raised their prices to compensate for the drop off in business.

There are others which have continued using various reasons to open and close whenever they want to, but I have seen this more at Jack than any other chain in my area.

And with Burger King, you just never know if you will get something fresh or something reheated in a microwave. Their quality alone does not justify their high prices. $12.99 for a Whopper combo is more than that is worth.

In my area, Wendy's and McDonald's at least are maintaining consistent quality, but still, a Dave's Single combo is over $10.00 now.

But I will say that high prices are affecting nearly every restaurant here in Washington. Those San Francisco combo prices are not far off from what we pay here, it's difficult to find any kind of combo for under $10.00. In Washington a big factor is the high minimum wage, which also includes restaurant workers.

A lot of fast food places need to take a long hard look at their menu prices and make them more fair. When people have to rely on an app and/or coupons for reasonable prices, and often will stop at a fast food place because they are short on time, many do not want to fumble around with an app or coupons in the drive-thru and will go elsewhere.