7-Eleven Self Checkout

Gas stations & convenience stores (AM/PM, 7-Eleven, etc.)
Alpha8472

Re: 7-Eleven Self Checkout

Post by Alpha8472 »

I don't know if self checkout really helps out that much at convenience stores. You find self checkout at some Chevron Extra Mile Stores. The employees end up having a hard time telling who paid or not.
storewanderer

Re: 7-Eleven Self Checkout

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: December 23rd, 2023, 5:35 pm I don't know if self checkout really helps out that much at convenience stores. You find self checkout at some Chevron Extra Mile Stores. The employees end up having a hard time telling who paid or not.
Self checkout has worked great at Maverik. The way they are set up is it is basically a regular register with a screen facing the customer and a screen facing the cashier. So the cashier who is usually standing right there running a regular register next to it can see everything you are scanning/doing and if you have an issue like difficulty finding a drink size the cashier can just add it on from their side. They have the plastic bags on a roll like a roll of paper towels on a paper towel holder so there is no clutter at the counter in the transaction area.

Many customers use self checkout at Maverik. The employees can tell who pays because the screens when idle have a giant message that says MAVERIK SELF CHECKOUT but then once you start to scan items through it lists your items/has an item selection screen/finish and pay etc. and once you pay it immediately goes back to that MAVERIK SELF CHECKOUT screen so if someone walks off before that comes up it is very obvious to see they did not pay.

Maverik uses an in-house POS system. It is the old Flying J system from before Pilot took Flying J over. Since Flying J did everything possible in house... Maverik dug that out from the dead.

I have seen self checkout at some other gas stations. The Rocket at DEN Airport has self checkout and it seemed to be working well (same system you see used at Extra Mile) but wasn't being monitored. That is an extremely busy site and it was getting quite a bit of use.

The worst implementation is Circle K. Terrible self checkout. It is supposed to detect your items without you having to scan. It is wildly inaccurate in my experience. Wrong size drink cup, complete mess on a drink refill (charges you full price in a Circle K cup, and is just clueless if you bring in a different cup), no way to ring up a cup of ice, just a good idea poorly implemented. It is also rather slow. The receipt looks weird, it isn't the same as the regular register, item descriptions are sloppy on it. I've seen that same system used at some airport kiosks but haven't tried it at those.