7-Eleven Self Checkout

Gas stations & convenience stores (AM/PM, 7-Eleven, etc.)
storewanderer

7-Eleven Self Checkout

Post by storewanderer »

Went into a 7-Eleven (this unit is corporate operated), it had a self checkout unit. Basically a screen and a scanner/printer/pinpad.

Found something to buy as they had a table of candy that said $1 with Speedy Rewards (okay). On the candy aisle they had these items marked with signs that said $1 with 7Rewards. Anyway I took one of the candy and went to the self checkout and scanned it. No item found, it said. Tried a couple more times. Went to cashier, who scanned it without issue. So I guess the self checkout is somehow not the same system as the normal register.

I have never seen self checkout in a 7-Eleven before. Has anyone else?
Alpha8472

Re: 7-Eleven Self Checkout

Post by Alpha8472 »

I have not seen self checkout yet at the newest 7-Eleven stores that opened earlier this year.

However, one just opened up days ago in my city. I will have to take a look.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I went to the newly built 7-Eleven in my city today. It did not have self checkout. However, it did have a large number of futuristic touchscreen drink machines. You could get many varieties of frozen drinks. There were touchscreen coffee and espresso machines serving hot and Iced coffee drinks. The baked goods display was top of the line. It also had a huge prepared food case fully stocked.

I was impressed. There is a 76 Gas Station in front with gas at only $4.07. This is much cheaper than any other station or even Costco. The problem is that they are out of all gas except for regular.

I though it would be overkill as there is an old 7-Eleven just 2 blocks away. This 7-Eleven will probably do much better business than that tiny old one with no gas pumps.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: December 17th, 2023, 8:07 pm I went to the newly built 7-Eleven in my city today. It did not have self checkout. However, it did have a large number of futuristic touchscreen drink machines. You could get many varieties of frozen drinks. There were touchscreen coffee and espresso machines serving hot and Iced coffee drinks. The baked goods display was top of the line. It also had a huge prepared food case fully stocked.

I was impressed. There is a 76 Gas Station in front with gas at only $4.07. This is much cheaper than any other station or even Costco. The problem is that they are out of all gas except for regular.

I though it would be overkill as there is an old 7-Eleven just 2 blocks away. This 7-Eleven will probably do much better business than that tiny old one with no gas pumps.
That is a great deal. Around Reno the gas is still mostly in the 4.49 range with some cheaper places at 4.35 and the higher cost areas still at the 4.69 range. 12 minutes east of Reno in the next county at USA Parkway there are two truck stops with 3.29 gas and as you go east Fernley, Winnemucca, etc. 3.29 is the going price; after Winnemucca it is 85 Octane/Utah fuel but most of the gas sold in Winnemucca at the present time (this seems to change back and forth to 85 Octane/Utah fuel) is 87 Octane/California gas.

Also for some reason in Chester, CA the Holiday Supermarket with a few pumps and an above ground storage tank behind the store had gas at 3.75, one unbranded station was 3.69, but the other branded stations were all 4.59 there. I've never seen bargain gas in Chester before.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

The first new 7–11 in the Phoenix area is being built in Goodyear on Estrella Pkwy South of I-10 (next to a yet to be open Chik-Fil-A with a double drive thru). I don’t know if it is company owned or a franchise, the handful of Phoenix 7-11s are franchises and are mostly dumps.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

jamcool wrote: December 18th, 2023, 10:57 am The first new 7–11 in the Phoenix area is being built in Goodyear on Estrella Pkwy South of I-10 (next to a yet to be open Chik-Fil-A with a double drive thru). I don’t know if it is company owned or a franchise, the handful of Phoenix 7-11s are franchises and are mostly dumps.
Can't be worse than Los Angeles 🤢
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

jamcool wrote: December 18th, 2023, 10:57 am The first new 7–11 in the Phoenix area is being built in Goodyear on Estrella Pkwy South of I-10 (next to a yet to be open Chik-Fil-A with a double drive thru). I don’t know if it is company owned or a franchise, the handful of Phoenix 7-11s are franchises and are mostly dumps.
I don't know why they are bothering. I guess the base of Speedways in AZ outside Phoenix is strong so they may feel the need to do something to beef up Phoenix, but as I see it in Phoenix between QT and Circle K the market is wrapped up. Circle K has really improved its store base, it is quite impressive what they have done- they still have a long ways to go but they have done more than I ever thought they could do.

The new build Speedway in Mesa doesn't appear to do much business at all. Nice enough site but it is no QT or Circle K.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

So the 7-Eleven self checkout can only scan "long" bar codes. It cannot scan "short" bar codes as some candy, soda, etc. have.

It also has an "item finder" and I pressed that to look around and it comes up with various food service items and numerous items not sold in that store such as Laredo Taco and various others.

The receipt does not look like the receipt from the standard 7-Eleven cash register. This is funny. This is a corporate 7-Eleven and also for some reason the 7-Eleven cash register does not control the gas pumps so if you buy gas they run that through a separate Gilbarco cash register (yet the pumps say 7-Eleven on them, not sure why this is- this location had EMV Chip Card acceptance on the gas pumps before others around did and I think in order to do that they had to move the gas pumps onto this separate cash register). So basically they have three different point of sale systems going in this one single unit- the regular 7-Eleven register for cashier transactions of merchandise, the Gilbarco register for fuel, and now this odd self checkout.

If they moved over to the Radiant system Speedway uses they could get self checkout, gas pumps, EMV Chip Cards, and the normal register all under the same software but I guess they'd rather tear apart Speedway's excellent systems than use them. Fools.
bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

storewanderer wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 1:03 am So the 7-Eleven self checkout can only scan "long" bar codes. It cannot scan "short" bar codes as some candy, soda, etc. have.

It also has an "item finder" and I pressed that to look around and it comes up with various food service items and numerous items not sold in that store such as Laredo Taco and various others.

The receipt does not look like the receipt from the standard 7-Eleven cash register. This is funny. This is a corporate 7-Eleven and also for some reason the 7-Eleven cash register does not control the gas pumps so if you buy gas they run that through a separate Gilbarco cash register (yet the pumps say 7-Eleven on them, not sure why this is- this location had EMV Chip Card acceptance on the gas pumps before others around did and I think in order to do that they had to move the gas pumps onto this separate cash register). So basically they have three different point of sale systems going in this one single unit- the regular 7-Eleven register for cashier transactions of merchandise, the Gilbarco register for fuel, and now this odd self checkout.

If they moved over to the Radiant system Speedway uses they could get self checkout, gas pumps, EMV Chip Cards, and the normal register all under the same software but I guess they'd rather tear apart Speedway's excellent systems than use them. Fools.
What store is this - Rock and Longley, or one out in Lemmon Valley?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

bryceleinan wrote: December 23rd, 2023, 7:58 am
storewanderer wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 1:03 am So the 7-Eleven self checkout can only scan "long" bar codes. It cannot scan "short" bar codes as some candy, soda, etc. have.

What store is this - Rock and Longley, or one out in Lemmon Valley?
This is the one out in Portola. The sign still says Sierra Energy but inside is a store merchandised with 7 Eleven products and using 7 Eleven cash registers. Still no 7 Eleven drink equipment though.

There is no self checkout at either of the new build franchise operated units in Reno.