Fred Meyer not open extended hours in 2023 ahead of Christmas

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Fred Meyer not open extended hours in 2023 ahead of Christmas

Post by SamSpade »

Hello,
It seems like Fred Meyer is not opening extended hours this year (historically they have opened until midnight).

Earlier the stores did start opening at 6 instead of 7 am though. That has continued, with entrance by the "food" door only until 7 am.
storewanderer

Re: Fred Meyer not open extended hours in 2023 ahead of Christmas

Post by storewanderer »

SamSpade wrote: December 15th, 2023, 11:09 pm Hello,
It seems like Fred Meyer is not opening extended hours this year (historically they have opened until midnight).

Earlier the stores did start opening at 6 instead of 7 am though. That has continued, with entrance by the "food" door only until 7 am.
Similar for Wal Mart, 6 AM to 11 PM.

Kohls is open until Midnight and Macy's is open until 11 PM. I don't think Kohls has done this since before COVID but I recall the late hours at Macy's last year.

Dillards is springing all the way to 9 PM this coming week. They haven't been up that late in years.
Super S

Post by Super S »

My local Fred Meyer is still closing the GM doors at 9PM. The store itself closes at 11PM.

I don;t think they really need to be open extended hours, given how the GM side has scaled back some things and how little traffic that side of the store has as a result. All it would really do is become a magnet for shoplifting. And, unfortunately, it appears that some of the issues that have been plaguing Portland are spreading north, as I am starting to see a few more random locked cases appearing here and there.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

I don't think anyone is going to get back to the midnight madness of past years. So many box stores were staying open until 10pm, 11pm, midnight and all that they got for it were a few dollars in sales, armed robberies, employees quitting, and trashed stores. If you normally close at 9pm then I would think 10pm for Thanksgiving weekend and the 5 days before Christmas Eve is plenty. Seeing stores that normally close at 7 or 8 on a Sunday staying open until 11pm was ridiculous. That's why they have online ordering for the person who has to shop at 10pm on a Sunday night.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

It seems Target is open until Midnight (I think they normally close at 10 or 11?) and of all places, Ollie's has their stores open until 11, which seems a bit silly. I can't wait to see the retail numbers that come in after the holidays as everywhere I've been has been an 'average' level of busy. Even at Costco, we have not hit our daily sales plan numbers on most days, including today (Saturday),
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

mbz321 wrote: December 16th, 2023, 5:43 pm It seems Target is open until Midnight (I think they normally close at 10 or 11?) and of all places, Ollie's has their stores open until 11, which seems a bit silly. I can't wait to see the retail numbers that come in after the holidays as everywhere I've been has been an 'average' level of busy. Even at Costco, we have not hit our daily sales plan numbers on most days, including today (Saturday),
What is most troubling is prices are absolutely up across the board from last year everywhere I go. There seem to be fewer deep discounts and less inventory in general. Maybe the retail industry will disappoint on sales but exceed expectations on profits.

Somehow I expect we will hear it was another record retail sales holiday.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

mbz321 wrote: December 16th, 2023, 5:43 pm It seems Target is open until Midnight (I think they normally close at 10 or 11?) and of all places, Ollie's has their stores open until 11, which seems a bit silly. I can't wait to see the retail numbers that come in after the holidays as everywhere I've been has been an 'average' level of busy. Even at Costco, we have not hit our daily sales plan numbers on most days, including today (Saturday),
That's still a cutback at Target. Several years ago they were midnight pretty much all of November and December with 1am and 2am closes on the last few weekends and week before Christmas. It was an operational disaster because they were still doing overnight 10pm to 6am truck processing and basically the stores struggled to keep together so by Christmas Eve they needed a two week process to get the store put back together which is ridiculous. I would not be surprised if the average Target is saving thousands of hours a week right now with the earlier closings.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: December 18th, 2023, 3:47 pm
That's still a cutback at Target. Several years ago they were midnight pretty much all of November and December with 1am and 2am closes on the last few weekends and week before Christmas. It was an operational disaster because they were still doing overnight 10pm to 6am truck processing and basically the stores struggled to keep together so by Christmas Eve they needed a two week process to get the store put back together which is ridiculous. I would not be surprised if the average Target is saving thousands of hours a week right now with the earlier closings.
I don't remember those 1 AM or 2 AM closures, was that maybe only in some markets? Midnight is more than sufficient. And I say that as a late night shopper who likes to shop after 10 PM.

I remember the open 24 hours Kohls. That was really stupid. I feel like Macys did that too, maybe not?
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

ClownLoach wrote: December 18th, 2023, 3:47 pm That's still a cutback at Target. Several years ago they were midnight pretty much all of November and December with 1am and 2am closes on the last few weekends and week before Christmas. It was an operational disaster because they were still doing overnight 10pm to 6am truck processing and basically the stores struggled to keep together so by Christmas Eve they needed a two week process to get the store put back together which is ridiculous. I would not be surprised if the average Target is saving thousands of hours a week right now with the earlier closings.
I guess it just depends on the number of staff and how they are set up to work.

We used to have 24-hour supermarkets, and the one I was in 20+ years ago now, they basically had the traditional overnight stock crew, and when someone was ready to check out, one person (generally working to restock near the front somewhere) would stop and run the register, then go back to stocking.

That way the majority of work was going on uninterrupted, with the few sales hopefully covering the cost of the employee for those short times they were working checkout vs. stocking.

Of course, at that time there was also likely less (if any) issue with people trying to leave with unpaid items (particularly since it would be kind of obvious when there weren't many non-employees in the building, and with employees scattered around to see what they were doing), so that may be more issue these days.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: December 18th, 2023, 11:18 pm
ClownLoach wrote: December 18th, 2023, 3:47 pm
I don't remember those 1 AM or 2 AM closures, was that maybe only in some markets? Midnight is more than sufficient. And I say that as a late night shopper who likes to shop after 10 PM.

I remember the open 24 hours Kohls. That was really stupid. I feel like Macys did that too, maybe not?
Trying to remember, at one point Home Depot was open 24/7, Macy's, Sears, Kmart, Toys R Us were open 24/7 right up to Christmas Eve. I thought Walmart had 24 hour operation as well. Target was definitely 2am as my wife had to close those Saturday nights and then be back in the morning even though she lived over an hour from the store. Circuit City and Best Buy and Comp USA did midnight. I think one of their competitors did all night the week before Christmas, could have been Ultimate.

The Home Depot round the clock operation was year round. I remember breaking an aquarium part and shopping to fix the pipe fitting at 3am, that was fun.