Another New Build Stater Bros opens in Ontario/Rancho Cucamonga

California. No non-grocery posts.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Another New Build Stater Bros opens in Ontario/Rancho Cucamonga

Post by ClownLoach »

Forgot to post, but Stater Bros continues to invest in new stores even in established areas. In the Ontario Mills shopping area Stater Bros opened another new store with their new format a couple of weeks ago on Haven along the border of Rancho Cucamonga.

They are also continuing to invest in real, major remodels; the Temecula Stater Bros remodel has expanded to tearing off the exterior of the storefront in the last few days and when completed the entire store will be brand new inside including the full demolition of all perimeter departments such as meat, bakery, etc. which are being fully rebuilt with all new equipment and refrigeration. The remodel has been underway for three months now and according to store workers will not be completed until June 2024. This was an Albertsons that was the first supermarket in that part of town.
storewanderer

Re: Another New Build Stater Bros opens in Ontario/Rancho Cucamonga

Post by storewanderer »

They are really trying. When the competitors Vons/Albertsons/Ralphs barely ever build any new stores it is easy for them to justify doing this. I guess there is that one Vons or Albertsons under construction north of San Diego that was supposed to open years ago and still isn't open yet, I wonder if it is even under construction yet. As far as Ralphs goes I think Kroger forgot what a new build store even is in CA, OR, or WA. I think the last new CA Store was the Oakland FoodsCo.

~ttps://www.facebook.com/StaterBrosMarkets/vide ... 0548984249
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Another New Build Stater Bros opens in Ontario/Rancho Cucamonga

Post by ClownLoach »

I did get to visit the new Ontario store this weekend. It is similar, but not an exact clone of the 3 month old Chino store.

Stater is moving in a very interesting and unexpected direction. They are trying to maintain the image of a mainstream American supermarket while adding ethnic options, and I felt there were even more in Ontario. Chino had a lot of Asian options such as expanded seafood and Shabu-Shabu sliced meats, while the Ontario store skews more Hispanic. When you walk in there is a cart of hot tamales and a guacamole made to order station adjacent to the fruit cutting area which is now a perimeter counter like deli instead of a freestanding station as in their traditional format (gives it more presence). They have a taco and burrito counter next to the fried chicken counter. The bakery has the traditional bagels and muffins next to a case of pan dulce. The international foods aisles are expansive. And they have maintained the lifting of what I call "Ralphs architecture" with the lower ceiling around the perimeter for better lighting but the open ceiling over center store as most late 90's to early 2000's Ralphs stores had before switching to all warehouse ceilings. They are trying to make a supermarket for everyone which is a smart way to compete in SoCal. I also like the fact that they aren't insulting the customer as Kroger did with their slotting of the lower quality Food4Less stores as their Hispanic option. I'm interested in seeing how the Temecula Stater remodel goes when it finishes this summer; that store used to have a large, custom designed "Wines of Temecula" area with Tiffany glass fixtures that was demolished in the remodel. Curious if that location will also implement these concepts as the area needs a quality Hispanic and Asian market but instead has Albertsons sitting on 8 stores when they obviously only have the business to operate 3 or 4 max but they don't want to give up the space.