Safeway NorCal: 12pk Coke/Pepsi 10.99

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Safeway NorCal: 12pk Coke/Pepsi 10.99

Post by storewanderer »

Well, 9.99 wasn't enough. So now Safeway NorCal wants 10.99 for a 12pk of Coke or Pepsi. Unreal. I am sure a Buy 2 get 2 Free sale is on.

Save Mart threw the first punch on this- they went to 10.99 on 12pk Coke last week (3.99 2 Liter). They kept Pepsi at 9.99 though.

Wal Mart meanwhile is running 7.28 for 12pk Coke/Pepsi in this region as ceiling price. Price may be lower at some locations and may go down some weeks.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Safeway NorCal: 12pk Coke/Pepsi 10.99

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: January 12th, 2024, 11:02 pm Well, 9.99 wasn't enough. So now Safeway NorCal wants 10.99 for a 12pk of Coke or Pepsi. Unreal. I am sure a Buy 2 get 2 Free sale is on.

Save Mart threw the first punch on this- they went to 10.99 on 12pk Coke last week (3.99 2 Liter). They kept Pepsi at 9.99 though.

Wal Mart meanwhile is running 7.28 for 12pk Coke/Pepsi in this region as ceiling price. Price may be lower at some locations and may go down some weeks.
Profit taking before the big super bowl sale (which will somehow be a higher price than last year).
Super S

Post by Super S »

I have seen $9.99 here in WA. Even WinCo has been at $7.99 at times.

This has caused me to switch to store brand pop.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Super S wrote: January 13th, 2024, 4:57 am I have seen $9.99 here in WA. Even WinCo has been at $7.99 at times.

This has caused me to switch to store brand pop.
Though it seems that at least one store in an area (and often more than one) will have either Coke or Pepsi items on sale on any given week, so someone who pays a little attention can get them at a far lower price than these "regular" prices listed at stores 99.9% of the time :)
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I know we all talk about the sales here but if I go into a store during an "off sale" week, a busy store, like many of the Safeway units in NorCal are, I only have to stand on the soda aisle for a few minutes before I see someone place one of these full price 12 packs in their cart.

At stores with less traffic like Save Mart these are not moving much at full price.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

In Northern California and especially the San Francisco Bay Area you will see many people who know nothing about Winco or other discount stores. They mindlessly buy items at Safeway at full price. They either don't want to bother to drive somewhere else or they have never even been to Winco.

There are so few Winco stores and those are probably 45 or more minutes away.

Safeway has brainwashed so many people into accepting high prices.

There are even many people who will never step foot in a Walmart. Even Walmart stores are very few and far between in the San Francisco Bay Area. There is a strong anti-Walmart sentiment in the Bay Area. People would rather shop at Whole Foods just to be supposedly more ethical.

Safeway would never get away with prices like this in other parts of the country.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

Alpha8472 wrote: January 13th, 2024, 5:20 pm In Northern California and especially the San Francisco Bay Area you will see many people who know nothing about Winco or other discount stores. They mindlessly buy items at Safeway at full price. They either don't want to bother to drive somewhere else or they have never even been to Winco.

There are even many people who will never step foot in a Walmart. Even Walmart stores are very few and far between in the San Francisco Bay Area. There is a strong anti-Walmart sentiment in the Bay Area. People would rather shop at Whole Foods just to be supposedly more ethical.

Safeway would never get away with prices like this in other parts of the country.
I don't think it's brainwashing or ignorance. Some people simply value their time and don't want to drive around from store to store or go shopping far away in order to save a bit on their grocery bill. For a tech worker or other professional making a good salary, it doesn't make sense to chase sales when they could spend that time doing something more productive.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: January 13th, 2024, 6:30 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: January 13th, 2024, 5:20 pm In Northern California and especially the San Francisco Bay Area you will see many people who know nothing about Winco or other discount stores. They mindlessly buy items at Safeway at full price. They either don't want to bother to drive somewhere else or they have never even been to Winco.

I don't think it's brainwashing or ignorance. Some people simply value their time and don't want to drive around from store to store or go shopping far away in order to save a bit on their grocery bill. For a tech worker or other professional making a good salary, it doesn't make sense to chase sales when they could spend that time doing something more productive.
There are people like that in every market, but lack of proper competition is what has enabled Safeway to run such outrageous prices in NorCal.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

I do most of my shopping at Aldi, but even their Coke prices are on the high side. Since I buy a lot of Diet Coke, I just wait until one of the major chains has a decent sale (I always check Flipp to see which one(s) are the cheapest). For example, right now both Ralphs and Food4Less are at $5 for a 12-pack. Maybe next week it will be Vons/Albertsons, or Stater Bros.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

Not to defend Safeway and their horrid pricing, but I don't believe that most retailers have too much say when it comes to soda prices from Coke/Pepsi given they are vendor items...soda has become ridiculously expensive everywhere. Surely Safeway has it marked up a bit, but their cost is likely more than one might think.

(Here on the East Coast, Acme has 12 packs for $9.99, so in the same realm of expensiveness.) As others have said though, stores frequently run promotions on soda, but it is still a lot more pricey than it used to be.