Village of Orange closing interior.

ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Village of Orange closing interior.

Post by ClownLoach »

Retailuser wrote: January 29th, 2024, 7:46 am http://www.retailwatchers.com/viewforum ... 52b4b64cb2 The California section dedicated to that state maybe?
Back on topic has anyone checked out that mall lately?
The parking lot has been overrun with panhandlers and homeless for over a decade. The Walmart is what I'd call a Soviet-style operation (although they want to expand into part of the dead mall and make it a true supercenter). Broken auto glass all over the parking lot. Restaurants do not last long there, even chain franchises. Last time I was there I did not feel safe going into the Homegoods and encountered multiple panhandlers probably because I was driving a Lexus. There was nothing to check out then, and the entire mall needs to be bulldozed. The Target nearby is also a rough store, and the Best Buy closed after only 15 years likely due to high shrink. That area of Orange is very rough, I managed a store there for only a year and it gave me more headaches than any I had dealt with in Los Angeles county. My employees would have to chase homeless people out of the loading dock each day for truck unloads, and they would encounter needles and worse everywhere. We had to lock the restrooms and train everyone on proper handling of trash to prevent accidental needle stabs as they wouldn't use the sharps bins. The area has many older, smaller apartment complexes that have been converted to drug rehab centers and halfway houses. That is the driver of the problems in the neighborhood. These rehab centers drain the patients benefits until they run out then throw them out on the streets. The Orange County Register did an in depth investigation into this problem and found dozens of these operations in that area and even more along Harbor Blvd neighborhoods in Costa Mesa. It is a horrible problem and frankly the people who run these facilities should be imprisoned, when they're done the "patients" are still addicted to drugs and are now homeless in a neighborhood they don't know and have no resources in. Meanwhile the owners get rich, and at public expense.
pseudo3d

Re: Village of Orange closing interior.

Post by pseudo3d »

I checked out some of the pictures of this mall, reminds me a bit of Almeda Mall in Houston which I visited recently. One thing I noticed when I looked into the mall's history was that Wal-Mart DID open into the mall in 1998 but in 2003 that got demolished in a renovation.

I didn't see any pictures of Sprouts from the mall, does it even open into the mall?