New Ralphs/Kroger Interior

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: New Ralphs/Kroger Interior

Post by storewanderer »

SoCalShopper1023 wrote: February 13th, 2024, 12:10 am I came across a Vons in Anaheim Hills, that was previously a Pavilions and converted to the Vons banner sometime in the past couple of years.

This store appears to have had the “Pavilions Lifestyle” decor (that most Pavilions had at one point before they went with the standard Lifestyle remodels)

When it converted to Vons it got the Colorful Lifestyle repaint on top of the Pavilions styled signage. They didn’t even bother changing the Aisle markers, as it still has the Pavilions styled aisle markers (from what I see on Yelp). The store looks so mismatched and tacky in my opinion. This is probably one of the laziest “remodels” that I’ve seen.
Looking at photos of that Anaheim Hills Store I see also they have some fixtures in the standard Lifestyle format placed on the front wall and above the deli sandwich counter. So they have most of the departments with Pavilions looking wall letters but then some random ones with the standard Lifestyle wall letters. Different color wall letters too. They could do so much better. Do wall letters really cost that much?

Also find it ironic they ordered in new wall letters in the old Lifestyle style... for that front wall area and sandwich counter... could have gotten Pavilions format wall letters?
SoCalShopper1023
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by SoCalShopper1023 »

storewanderer wrote: February 13th, 2024, 12:29 am
SoCalShopper1023 wrote: February 13th, 2024, 12:10 am I came across a Vons in Anaheim Hills, that was previously a Pavilions and converted to the Vons banner sometime in the past couple of years.

This store appears to have had the “Pavilions Lifestyle” decor (that most Pavilions had at one point before they went with the standard Lifestyle remodels)

When it converted to Vons it got the Colorful Lifestyle repaint on top of the Pavilions styled signage. They didn’t even bother changing the Aisle markers, as it still has the Pavilions styled aisle markers (from what I see on Yelp). The store looks so mismatched and tacky in my opinion. This is probably one of the laziest “remodels” that I’ve seen.
Looking at photos of that Anaheim Hills Store I see also they have some fixtures in the standard Lifestyle format placed on the front wall and above the deli sandwich counter. So they have most of the departments with Pavilions looking wall letters but then some random ones with the standard Lifestyle wall letters. Different color wall letters too. They could do so much better. Do wall letters really cost that much?

Also find it ironic they ordered in new wall letters in the old Lifestyle style... for that front wall area and sandwich counter... could have gotten Pavilions format wall letters?
Exactly, or at the very least they could have changed those aisle markers to the Lifestyle Era ones that they are using for Colorful Lifestyle at other stores.

Those Pavilions aisle markers look very outdated, and don’t match at all with the repaint.
brendenmoney
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Post by brendenmoney »

SoCalShopper1023 wrote: February 13th, 2024, 12:45 am

Exactly, or at the very least they could have changed those aisle markers to the Lifestyle Era ones that they are using for Colorful Lifestyle at other stores.

Those Pavilions aisle markers look very outdated, and don’t match at all with the repaint.
The Anaheim Hills Vons is very unique in that it is the only Pavilions variant Lifestyle interior that received the repainted colorful lifestyle (at least that I know of). It was probably a cheap remodel to quickly convert the store to a Vons, unlike the former Long Beach Pavilions which had a more thorough remodel when it converted to a Vons. I imagine Albertsons and Kroger want to divest this store as it is a very large store in comparison to the Ralphs Fresh Fare up the road, or the other Anaheim Hills Vons one exit West one the 91. If the merger doesn't happen, I'm sure Albertsons will likely downsize this store and give it a more thorough remodel, likely to the Modern/Safeway Florida interior that is now more prevalent.

One another note, I may mention after seeing some Modern interior Safeway stores in NorCal, Albertsons definitely does a much better job with their store remodels with Safeway stores in NorCal (although I'm sure someone can point out some examples of cheaply done NorCal stores somewhere). Albertsons has also made much more investment in new stores in NorCal in comparison to SoCal since their merger with Safeway, as the only "new" SoCal stores that have opened after the merger are stores which they bought back from Haggen. Really the largest remodels Albertsons has completed in SoCal in the past few years is probably either the Albertsons to Pavilions in San Clemente, or the Long Beach Pavilions to Vons conversion, although I'm not sure when the Coronado Vons completed their renovation. The Coronado Vons renovation was also pretty big.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

brendenmoney wrote: February 13th, 2024, 9:46 am
SoCalShopper1023 wrote: February 13th, 2024, 12:45 am

The Anaheim Hills Vons is very unique in that it is the only Pavilions variant Lifestyle interior that received the repainted colorful lifestyle (at least that I know of). It was probably a cheap remodel to quickly convert the store to a Vons, unlike the former Long Beach Pavilions which had a more thorough remodel when it converted to a Vons. I imagine Albertsons and Kroger want to divest this store as it is a very large store in comparison to the Ralphs Fresh Fare up the road, or the other Anaheim Hills Vons one exit West one the 91. If the merger doesn't happen, I'm sure Albertsons will likely downsize this store and give it a more thorough remodel, likely to the Modern/Safeway Florida interior that is now more prevalent.

One another note, I may mention after seeing some Modern interior Safeway stores in NorCal, Albertsons definitely does a much better job with their store remodels with Safeway stores in NorCal (although I'm sure someone can point out some examples of cheaply done NorCal stores somewhere). Albertsons has also made much more investment in new stores in NorCal in comparison to SoCal since their merger with Safeway, as the only "new" SoCal stores that have opened after the merger are stores which they bought back from Haggen. Really the largest remodels Albertsons has completed in SoCal in the past few years is probably either the Albertsons to Pavilions in San Clemente, or the Long Beach Pavilions to Vons conversion, although I'm not sure when the Coronado Vons completed their renovation. The Coronado Vons renovation was also pretty big.
Vons Avalon opened in 2019. Replacement store but built from the ground up.

Vons Coronado was completed in 2022. https://coronadotimes.com/news/2022/03/ ... d-opening/
Bluelightspecial
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by Bluelightspecial »

storewanderer wrote: February 13th, 2024, 12:05 am I think I found something worse than this Ralphs interior in Anaheim Hills.

Go to Google Maps and go to the Save Mart in Clovis on Herndon. This is a former Ralphs. Save Mart did a cheap wall repaint when they took over. They later did a more formal remodel around 2021. Plenty of before/after photos. Cannot believe how bad the 2021 remodel looks.

Got those both beat. The Santa Maria Vons decor is horrendous and dull....why they keep that store open is beyond me.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Westminster and Anaheim Hills got identical lazy remodels to Vons. Westminster subsequently was not renewed and H-Mart is under construction on the site.

Only reason that Anaheim Hills is no longer a Pavilions is poor liquor sales. The store does just fine otherwise, although the very old Vons a few miles west might be busier but it has many building problems being two stores effectively bolted together. Last time I was there they were having major plumbing issues leaving the store smelling of sewer gas. The building is past end of life despite receiving the modern decor. The Rite Aid next to the older Vons was also closed and I wonder if there might be plans to level and rebuild the main strip of the center in the future which might exclude Vons. Ideal spot for WFM. It looks to be from the 1950s?
Last edited by ClownLoach on February 13th, 2024, 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Bluelightspecial wrote: February 13th, 2024, 12:33 pm
storewanderer wrote: February 13th, 2024, 12:05 am I think I found something worse than this Ralphs interior in Anaheim Hills.

Go to Google Maps and go to the Save Mart in Clovis on Herndon. This is a former Ralphs. Save Mart did a cheap wall repaint when they took over. They later did a more formal remodel around 2021. Plenty of before/after photos. Cannot believe how bad the 2021 remodel looks.

Got those both beat. The Santa Maria Vons decor is horrendous and dull....why they keep that store open is beyond me.

Santa Maria has Pak N Save decor, right? I have never seen that decor otherwise on a Vons.

There's a nice Albertsons (former Smiths) in town that at one point had Jewel decor, not sure if it has been remodeled out.

Odds are the Vons is owned real estate and breaks even or makes only a small profit so not worth a costly remodel. Similar situation in Murrieta where the Vons branded store is neglected as well. I suspect all these odd old Vons stores with an overlapping Albertsons would be offered up as "divestitures" even though they survived the last merger. When the Kroger deal dies I expect these really neglected sites to be closed as they're no longer worth holding onto as token divestitures.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

CalItalian wrote: February 13th, 2024, 11:14 am

Vons Coronado was completed in 2022. https://coronadotimes.com/news/2022/03/ ... d-opening/
Both of those in SoCal are relocations. NorCal opens actual organic new stores not replacements.

NorCal has opened multiple stores since 2021: These new NorCal Stores have mostly performed very well right out of the gate, so they get to have more new stores. All of these follow Albertsons prototype/layout. Nothing like a Safeway. Modern decor.

Hercules - brand new store (not a replacement) , not sure how this one is doing but suspect it is doing well

El Dorado Hills - brand new store (not a replacement) . this one maybe had a little of a slow start but since Raleys made its store in El Dorado Hills into a Raleys ONE a few months after this Safeway opened, the Safeway started to do much better

Reno - brand new store (not a replacement) . this one opened 2 weeks after Raleys made the nearby store into a Raleys ONE and has done exceptionally well from day one and hasn't looked back; this has been an extremely successful store for them.

San Jose Market Park - brand new store ( not a replacement) , this one is doing great.

Mountain House (Tracy) - brand new store , I think this one opened too soon... not enough out there to support it... it is not busy at all. Eventually it will be fine.

There is also a new Safeway under construction in Elk Grove. Again this will be brand new not a relocation.

I may be missing some. Maybe in Hawaii. That is NorCal too.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: February 14th, 2024, 12:43 am
CalItalian wrote: February 13th, 2024, 11:14 am

Both of those in SoCal are relocations. NorCal opens actual organic new stores not replacements.

NorCal has opened multiple stores since 2021: These new NorCal Stores have mostly performed very well right out of the gate, so they get to have more new stores. All of these follow Albertsons prototype/layout. Nothing like a Safeway. Modern decor.

Hercules - brand new store (not a replacement) , not sure how this one is doing but suspect it is doing well

El Dorado Hills - brand new store (not a replacement) . this one maybe had a little of a slow start but since Raleys made its store in El Dorado Hills into a Raleys ONE a few months after this Safeway opened, the Safeway started to do much better

Reno - brand new store (not a replacement) . this one opened 2 weeks after Raleys made the nearby store into a Raleys ONE and has done exceptionally well from day one and hasn't looked back; this has been an extremely successful store for them.

San Jose Market Park - brand new store ( not a replacement) , this one is doing great.

Mountain House (Tracy) - brand new store , I think this one opened too soon... not enough out there to support it... it is not busy at all. Eventually it will be fine.

There is also a new Safeway under construction in Elk Grove. Again this will be brand new not a relocation.

I may be missing some. Maybe in Hawaii. That is NorCal too.
I know they opened one Safeway on Oahu in the strip mall across from the outlet mall... It is a former Sports Authority so a very square shaped box. It got Pavilions decor.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: February 13th, 2024, 3:00 pm
Bluelightspecial wrote: February 13th, 2024, 12:33 pm

Santa Maria has Pak N Save decor, right? I have never seen that decor otherwise on a Vons.

There's a nice Albertsons (former Smiths) in town that at one point had Jewel decor, not sure if it has been remodeled out.

Odds are the Vons is owned real estate and breaks even or makes only a small profit so not worth a costly remodel. Similar situation in Murrieta where the Vons branded store is neglected as well. I suspect all these odd old Vons stores with an overlapping Albertsons would be offered up as "divestitures" even though they survived the last merger. When the Kroger deal dies I expect these really neglected sites to be closed as they're no longer worth holding onto as token divestitures.
Santa Maria has the decor of whoever they bought the store from. I think it was called William Brothers. There is a Spencer's out on Orcutt Road with the same decor.

There was a larger Vons in Santa Maria out on Broadway which had late 90s Safeway decor and never got a lifestyle remodel that closed under Safeway.

The decor looks like late 70s Safeway wall letters.