CVS Closing 25 Minuteclinic locations in LA market, leaving only 11

ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: CVS Closing 25 Minuteclinic locations in LA market, leaving only 11

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: January 31st, 2024, 11:31 pm Safeway runs an archaic old pharmacy software, it looks like MS DOS or something. I'm not sure what happened to the old Osco/Sav-On software Albertsons used to use which was better/more modern... must be sitting in the dust bin in Minnesota at Supervalu... maybe still works at a few Cub pharmacies or something.

I still see some pretty busy Safeway pharmacies however, and everyone working in them seems to be in a pretty good mood. Significantly better/more relaxed attitude there than Walgreens or CVS.
There was a note in an investor article about the Kroger-Albertsons deal that said the Albertsons pharmacy operation is on fire... Up 23%. Costco pharmacy has longer and longer lines every time I go, and the store I visited yesterday had just reconfigured the counter to add terminals and space for more customers to be served simultaneously at pickup.

The comment about Osco/SavOn reminded me about the short-lived new SavOn prototype. I remember a couple of them were set up in Huntington Beach, one was a new build and other might have been a remodel. It was probably as nice, if not nicer, than the "upscale" version of Rite Aid Wellness. It had some similarities to Albertsons "Blue and green awnings" decor if I recall, but bright. The store had a "botanical" theme, I remember pictures of plants and such with a lot of southwest pastels and earth tones - but not "dated" looking like early 90's mauve and teal. Unfortunately these were set up right before the deal to sell to CVS was announced. CVS destroyed these as fast as possible, ripping down all the nice signage, painting the walls plain white, and removing extra lighting such as spotlights and such immediately then glued those nasty carpet tiles down over the fancy tile floors. I wonder how many (few?) of those fancy new stores ever got set up?

CVS, Walgreens and Rite Aid have destroyed themselves with bad service, high prices, and unpleasant stores.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

ClownLoach wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 12:05 pm
storewanderer wrote: January 31st, 2024, 11:31 pm Safeway runs an archaic old pharmacy software, it looks like MS DOS or something. I'm not sure what happened to the old Osco/Sav-On software Albertsons used to use which was better/more modern... must be sitting in the dust bin in Minnesota at Supervalu... maybe still works at a few Cub pharmacies or something.

I still see some pretty busy Safeway pharmacies however, and everyone working in them seems to be in a pretty good mood. Significantly better/more relaxed attitude there than Walgreens or CVS.
There was a note in an investor article about the Kroger-Albertsons deal that said the Albertsons pharmacy operation is on fire... Up 23%. Costco pharmacy has longer and longer lines every time I go, and the store I visited yesterday had just reconfigured the counter to add terminals and space for more customers to be served simultaneously at pickup.

The comment about Osco/SavOn reminded me about the short-lived new SavOn prototype. I remember a couple of them were set up in Huntington Beach, one was a new build and other might have been a remodel. It was probably as nice, if not nicer, than the "upscale" version of Rite Aid Wellness. It had some similarities to Albertsons "Blue and green awnings" decor if I recall, but bright. The store had a "botanical" theme, I remember pictures of plants and such with a lot of southwest pastels and earth tones - but not "dated" looking like early 90's mauve and teal. Unfortunately these were set up right before the deal to sell to CVS was announced. CVS destroyed these as fast as possible, ripping down all the nice signage, painting the walls plain white, and removing extra lighting such as spotlights and such immediately then glued those nasty carpet tiles down over the fancy tile floors. I wonder how many (few?) of those fancy new stores ever got set up?

CVS, Walgreens and Rite Aid have destroyed themselves with bad service, high prices, and unpleasant stores.
Pavilions Pharmacy here is crazy busy as well.

YES, those 3 destroyed themselves for sure and all the competitors they absorbed.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 2:25 pm

YES, those 3 destroyed themselves for sure and all the competitors they absorbed.
Rite Aid was in recovery mode from 2010-2015 and was well on its way to amending its previous mistakes and getting a better reputation.

As far as Walgreens goes they had the makings to be the best but when they got involved with "Boots" that was suicide for their reputation.

CVS simply has no shame.

And guess who will be the last one standing? My money is on CVS.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

Your comments about Sav-on stick with me- I found pictures of the opening of this Sav-on unit, at Garey/Phillips in Pomona, circa 2004.

From Osco/Sav-on Alumni Club:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN ... lrc3N0YW93

I’m not sure if this is the interior you’re talking about, but it is very beautiful for a drugstore interior. Like every other “west coast” model drugstore, Sav-on was somewhat of a variety store until the day they turned into CVS. They also had “Albertsons Food Marts” located within the store. CVS applied their East Coast drugstore model to Sav-on/Osco and then Longs (another chain where CVS alienated customers). The East Coast drugstore model which Rite Aid and CVS have applied to the West Coast chains they bought is pretty much an oversized convenience store: Come in, get what you need, leave.

I personally have to use CVS for some refills due to the health insurance plan I’m on (I use the same insurance plan as my parents). One reason we are with CVS is because my parents were already using Sav-on for prescriptions.

Had Albertsons Inc. never broken up, Sav-on/Osco would be a firewall against CVS dominance in SoCal, Vegas, Kansas City, etc. (like the way Meijer is a firewall against Walmart in Michigan, or Fred Meyer is a firewall against Walmart in the PNW).
But no, Larry HAD to break up Albertsons and get his goddamn golden parachute, instead of just selling the weaker divisions (NorCal, Southwest, Denver, Texas, Florida) and leaving Albertsons Inc. a more streamlined and profitable company.
I guess that’s what happens when you hire somebody from outside retail to run a grocery chain. Also, Jack Welch’s influence did a lot of damage to other corporations, not just Albertsons. Larry was a crony of Jack Welch.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 12:06 am

Your comments about Sav-on stick with me- I found pictures of the opening of this Sav-on unit, at Garey/Phillips in Pomona, circa 2004.

I’m not sure if this is the interior you’re talking about, but it is very beautiful for a drugstore interior. Like every other “west coast” model drugstore, Sav-on was somewhat of a variety store until the day they turned into CVS. They also had “Albertsons Food Marts” located within the store. CVS applied their East Coast drugstore model to Sav-on/Osco and then Longs (another chain where CVS alienated customers). The East Coast drugstore model which Rite Aid and CVS have applied to the West Coast chains they bought is pretty much an oversized convenience store: Come in, get what you need, leave.

I personally have to use CVS for some refills due to the health insurance plan I’m on (I use the same insurance plan as my parents). One reason we are with CVS is because my parents were already using Sav-on for prescriptions.

Had Albertsons Inc. never broken up, Sav-on/Osco would be a firewall against CVS dominance in SoCal, Vegas, Kansas City, etc. (like the way Meijer is a firewall against Walmart in Michigan, or Fred Meyer is a firewall against Walmart in the PNW).
But no, Larry HAD to break up Albertsons and get his goddamn golden parachute, instead of just selling the weaker divisions (NorCal, Southwest, Denver, Texas, Florida) and leaving Albertsons Inc. a more streamlined and profitable company.
I guess that’s what happens when you hire somebody from outside retail to run a grocery chain. Also, Jack Welch’s influence did a lot of damage to other corporations, not just Albertsons. Larry was a crony of Jack Welch.
The old ASC had a very different employee culture from retail today. I think Stater still has maintained a similar type of employee culture.

I am not sure how dumping Southwest would have impacted the NV/AZ operation of Osco/Sav-On. I think that was supported by CA so it wouldn't have mattered. But the rest of those exits you suggest (NorCal, Denver, TX, FL) would have had zero impact on drug region. Under ASC, Drug region sold Lucky brand consumables in CA/NV/AZ/NM and sold Jewel brand consumables in all other markets starting around 1997 or so. Under Albertsons that changed to Albertsons brand consumables in CA/NV/AZ/NM in 2000 but the rest of drug region was still selling Jewel brand consumables (even in places like MT, far far from a Jewel).
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 7:08 pm

Rite Aid was in recovery mode from 2010-2015 and was well on its way to amending its previous mistakes and getting a better reputation.

As far as Walgreens goes they had the makings to be the best but when they got involved with "Boots" that was suicide for their reputation.

CVS simply has no shame.

I believe you are correct about all 3!
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 12:06 am

Exactly!!!!!
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

veteran+ wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 8:08 am
storewanderer wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 7:08 pm

CVS simply has no shame.

I believe you are correct about all 3!
I'm starting to wonder about CVS though. There sure are a lot of cracks showing right now. They seem to be starting to experience the same problems as Walgreens and Rite Aid. It's catching up to them. Reading that the moribund Albertsons pharmacy operation is up 30% is very telling. And I just saw yet another major corporation, Tyson, dropped Caremark.

Their competition isn't even having to work to get new prescription transfers. You used to see Albertsons and Kroger handing out coupon books or other freebies. They don't need to now - I really think people are leaving the "terrible 3" in droves, and I would not be surprised if they're the most profitable customers.

I really question if the monolithic CVS, Caremark, and Aetna will still be a single company 5 years from now. And as mentioned elsewhere I wonder how long before the corporate divorce between CVS and Target happens.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: February 4th, 2024, 1:33 pm

I'm starting to wonder about CVS though. There sure are a lot of cracks showing right now. They seem to be starting to experience the same problems as Walgreens and Rite Aid. It's catching up to them. Reading that the moribund Albertsons pharmacy operation is up 30% is very telling. And I just saw yet another major corporation, Tyson, dropped Caremark.

Their competition isn't even having to work to get new prescription transfers. You used to see Albertsons and Kroger handing out coupon books or other freebies. They don't need to now - I really think people are leaving the "terrible 3" in droves, and I would not be surprised if they're the most profitable customers.

I really question if the monolithic CVS, Caremark, and Aetna will still be a single company 5 years from now. And as mentioned elsewhere I wonder how long before the corporate divorce between CVS and Target happens.
While private employers like Tyson may get a better deal or frustrated and leave Caremark, I think at this point, CVS/Caremark/Aetna is so tied up and heavy in various US Government plans/programs that they are very safe. The government's ability to provide these services to many people as employees, retirees, or as social program beneficiaries is heavily reliant on CVS... I just think the CVS web is too tangled up to fail.

Safeway and Albertsons have always had productive pharmacy operations; this is nothing new. Kroger also has very high volume pharmacies in many of their divisions. Probably not so much Ralphs... this is another area where Ralphs underperforms the rest of Kroger for whatever reason.

Safeway NorCal still had prescription transfer offers ($25 or $50 gift card, I forget which) last fall in the app and I've also been getting offers from Walgreens in their app for $20 Walgreens Cash with a transfer fairly often. Kroger has offers in their app sometimes too but I can't recall what their offers were.
bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

storewanderer wrote: February 4th, 2024, 5:21 pm
ClownLoach wrote: February 4th, 2024, 1:33 pm

While private employers like Tyson may get a better deal or frustrated and leave Caremark, I think at this point, CVS/Caremark/Aetna is so tied up and heavy in various US Government plans/programs that they are very safe. The government's ability to provide these services to many people as employees, retirees, or as social program beneficiaries is heavily reliant on CVS... I just think the CVS web is too tangled up to fail.

Safeway and Albertsons have always had productive pharmacy operations; this is nothing new. Kroger also has very high volume pharmacies in many of their divisions. Probably not so much Ralphs... this is another area where Ralphs underperforms the rest of Kroger for whatever reason.

Safeway NorCal still had prescription transfer offers ($25 or $50 gift card, I forget which) last fall in the app and I've also been getting offers from Walgreens in their app for $20 Walgreens Cash with a transfer fairly often. Kroger has offers in their app sometimes too but I can't recall what their offers were.
One of the biggest concerns I have about the Krogbertsons merger is that Kroger dropped Express Scripts, and I use Safeway because CVS is too much of a train wreck, and Walmart is a hot mess in Carson City, leaving Costco.