Digital Coupons

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Digital Coupons

Post by storewanderer »

Never seen a store make and laminate signs like this before. The front end must be tired of explaining it.
202402.jpg
Alpha8472

Re: Digital Coupons

Post by Alpha8472 »

Most people and especially older customers don't even know how to use the app. These app only deals are terrible. Customers just want the sale price without having to login to an app.

What I really despise are manufacturers coupons that don't work at the register. These coupons advertise $1.00 off or something and then have fine print where you have to buy 2 or some other bizarre exceptions. Sometimes the items are an exact match to the coupon and the coupon will not scan at the register. Some stores cannot override a coupon that does not scan.

It is bad for retail stores as many coupon companies do not even reliably reimburse for coupons. Stores lose money on these coupons from deadbeat coupon companies.
mjhale
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by mjhale »

Does Raley's clearly explain in their ads that you the sale item is digital only and you have to activate the offer in the app? I don't know what it is like out west but the Safeway and Giant-MD ads here in the east make it clear that on offer is digital only and you have to activate on the app or the web site. Safeway even has a barcode on the shelf tag that you can scan to activate the offer.

To Alpha8472's point about older folks not understanding or wanting to use an app, I have seen the manager at my local Safeway override prices if people complain enough about digital only or coupons that don't come up. I've been in this situation myself were I can show the cashier and manager that the item I am purchasing is listed on the applicable items for an offer even though said offer is not applying. I've been able to get the sale price without too much trouble. I'm not saying we should be forced into constantly complaining to get the advertised price. However, I don't see this as anything different than watching the prices as items ring up to make sure that sale prices are reflected as long as one has prepared by adding offers prior to shopping. Some people just won't or can't do this and while it might be unfair that they are missing out, there is also a place where I think there is room for willingness to change in terms of using an app. It would help a lot if store staff were trained, were willing and cared to help people get the offers on to their account. Stores won't staff this and if they do a lot of employees don't care to help. I do think that to some extent all of these different offers and hoops to jump through to get pricing offers cause people to leave money on the table because they aren't the complaining type or they are just pissed and want to get out of the store. Neither the store or the manufacturer is complaining if people pay more than they should. Complex offers benefit the store not the customer. I think that this is why you see people gravitating away from high-low pricing stores and over to fixed pricing, EDLP type stores like Walmart, Target, Aldi and Lidl where they are a reasonable option for one's shopping patterns.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Where it gets REALLY annoying is when a sale price requires a card, app, AND a paper coupon for the sale price. Fred Meyer has done this from time to time. I usually can find the same price elsewhere though.

The whole card thing has caused me to shift a lot of shopping to WinCo where they don't have all these gimmicks. If only WinCo could get their random out of stock issues under control and offer better dairy and produce so I could avoid Fred Meyer altogether....
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

ShopRite stores seem to have a kiosk by Customer Service where I'm assuming the less tech-savvy folks can get assistance with loading coupons to their account (probably still an occasional nightmare for staff to deal with, but better than nothing). Do other chains have such things?

Here's an article about a kiosk set up at Stop & Shop
https://couponsinthenews.com/2023/10/10 ... ternative/
tkaye
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by tkaye »

Super S wrote: February 19th, 2024, 5:09 am The whole card thing has caused me to shift a lot of shopping to WinCo where they don't have all these gimmicks. If only WinCo could get their random out of stock issues under control and offer better dairy and produce so I could avoid Fred Meyer altogether....
WinCo does offer digital manufacturers' coupons, but with a terrible interface. They don't have an app, so you have to add them through their website. The prompt to enter your phone number at the register comes only AFTER your order has been totaled. You then enter your number into the pin pad, the screen goes black a couple times, and you can only hope they deducted the coupons correctly.

I have had a couple occasions where they didn't and I took my receipt to customer service for an adjustment. They had no clue about digital coupons at all and they had to call a manager to give the refund.

I hope someday there will be action by a state AG or a class-action suit on behalf of customers that have been overcharged in error by advertised digital offers that don't work correctly. Safeway is probably the worst offender, but their 800 number is actually pretty generous when correcting errors, usually giving you a credit for more than you were overcharged.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

mbz321 wrote: February 19th, 2024, 7:36 am ShopRite stores seem to have a kiosk by Customer Service where I'm assuming the less tech-savvy folks can get assistance with loading coupons to their account (probably still an occasional nightmare for staff to deal with, but better than nothing). Do other chains have such things?

Here's an article about a kiosk set up at Stop & Shop
https://couponsinthenews.com/2023/10/10 ... ternative/
They've had those for quite a while, and they work very well most times.

Their coupons also offer an option on that to see what item(s) are actually connected to the coupon, which eliminates some of the issues of a coupon not being taken off if someone forgot to attach that particular flavor/size etc.

Price Chopper here in NY just started last week with machines that they have in store (that had previously printed coupons) where when you scan your card it will automatically load all the digital coupons in the flier for that week.

Easy enough to use, but not quite as nice as the ShopRite option, since there might be a time when someone doesn't want a particular coupon loaded (such as if they have a paper coupon for the same item that is worth more).
GMJim
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by GMJim »

I prefer Safeway's app for digital coupons over Fred Meyer. Safeway's app is more user-friendly in my opinion.
Super S

Post by Super S »

tkaye wrote: February 19th, 2024, 8:51 am
Super S wrote: February 19th, 2024, 5:09 am The whole card thing has caused me to shift a lot of shopping to WinCo where they don't have all these gimmicks. If only WinCo could get their random out of stock issues under control and offer better dairy and produce so I could avoid Fred Meyer altogether....
WinCo does offer digital manufacturers' coupons, but with a terrible interface. They don't have an app, so you have to add them through their website. The prompt to enter your phone number at the register comes only AFTER your order has been totaled. You then enter your number into the pin pad, the screen goes black a couple times, and you can only hope they deducted the coupons correctly.

I have had a couple occasions where they didn't and I took my receipt to customer service for an adjustment. They had no clue about digital coupons at all and they had to call a manager to give the refund.

I hope someday there will be action by a state AG or a class-action suit on behalf of customers that have been overcharged in error by advertised digital offers that don't work correctly. Safeway is probably the worst offender, but their 800 number is actually pretty generous when correcting errors, usually giving you a credit for more than you were overcharged.
The notable difference here is that WinCo digital coupons are MANUFACTURERS coupons. Most stores require cards, apps, and digital coupons just to buy items at sale prices. WinCo sale prices are true sales and do not require gimmicks.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Super S wrote: February 29th, 2024, 5:06 am The notable difference here is that WinCo digital coupons are MANUFACTURERS coupons. Most stores require cards, apps, and digital coupons just to buy items at sale prices. WinCo sale prices are true sales and do not require gimmicks.
Many stores have manufacturer coupons on their digital pages - in fact, it's often quite easy to tell when you see the same offer in several different stores (for instance this week the digital coupon for $3.30 off 2 Febreze air sprays).

Some may also have store coupons added in that are part of sales, basically replacing what in the past were printed coupons in their flier.

Many stores use cards, but those are available free to anyone who wants them, not something that requires any special work to get (and, notably, is also a benefit in that they can and will contact people if you happen to get an item that is later recalled) :)