Target Paid Membership Program?

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Target Paid Membership Program?

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: March 14th, 2024, 11:18 am I'm in and out of Costco membership. Probably staying out for the foreseeable future. I don't like the Reno Costco Store, they need a new larger store. It is way too crowded and too small. Great assortment and turns over so quickly. The less busy Carson Costco seems to lack the assortment of the Reno Store (Sam's in Reno has a much better assortment than the Carson Costco).

Have kept a Sam's Membership for a number of years now. I'm not sure it is worth it but I've done a few larger purchases there and have no plans to drop it.
Sam's seems to have great operations in Las Vegas as well. They outnumber Costco there I believe if you exclude the business center.

Costco still has some smaller locations that need expanding desperately. Two in San Diego come to mind, Carmel Mountain and Carlsbad. Both smaller formats that can't carry as much assortment. What is nice about these stores is that newer SKUs struggle to break into the permanent assortment and wind up going on clearance. There's an addictive peanut butter snack bar Sam's and Costco couldn't keep in stock last fall when it came out, but I guess it didn't sell enough at Carmel Mountain to bump off another item and they were blowing them out half price yesterday. I bought two cases and would have got more except that they expire in 2 months so I don't want to get stuck with them. Happens every time I go to a smaller Costco, I find items being blown out super cheap that are full price everywhere else. Especially seasonal items...
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: March 14th, 2024, 7:57 pm
storewanderer wrote: March 14th, 2024, 11:18 am I'm in and out of Costco membership. Probably staying out for the foreseeable future. I don't like the Reno Costco Store, they need a new larger store. It is way too crowded and too small. Great assortment and turns over so quickly. The less busy Carson Costco seems to lack the assortment of the Reno Store (Sam's in Reno has a much better assortment than the Carson Costco).

Have kept a Sam's Membership for a number of years now. I'm not sure it is worth it but I've done a few larger purchases there and have no plans to drop it.
Sam's seems to have great operations in Las Vegas as well. They outnumber Costco there I believe if you exclude the business center.

Costco still has some smaller locations that need expanding desperately. Two in San Diego come to mind, Carmel Mountain and Carlsbad. Both smaller formats that can't carry as much assortment. What is nice about these stores is that newer SKUs struggle to break into the permanent assortment and wind up going on clearance. There's an addictive peanut butter snack bar Sam's and Costco couldn't keep in stock last fall when it came out, but I guess it didn't sell enough at Carmel Mountain to bump off another item and they were blowing them out half price yesterday. I bought two cases and would have got more except that they expire in 2 months so I don't want to get stuck with them. Happens every time I go to a smaller Costco, I find items being blown out super cheap that are full price everywhere else. Especially seasonal items...
Sam's in Reno does a fraction of the business of the Reno Costco but it is a great store. It probably does double the business it did five years ago. There are 3 Costcos- Reno (undersized overcrowded wild and crazy zoo), Sparks (getting to be a zoo, and not as much mix as Reno) and Carson (not real busy, really low on mix).

Reno Costco has tried to expand but hasn't had much luck. There used to be an Office Club/then Office Depot next to it and they tried to get that for years to expand but couldn't; eventually it went out of business but for whatever reason they couldn't get it. The next space over was a jumbo Petsmart which again they couldn't get. The next space over was built as "Auto Parts Club" (I think... might be my imagination) but didn't last long and has been furniture stores ever since. They also have an issue of too small of a parking lot. They relocated employee parking across the street where the gas station is probably 30 years ago or whenever they built the gas station.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: March 14th, 2024, 9:38 pm
ClownLoach wrote: March 14th, 2024, 7:57 pm

Sam's in Reno does a fraction of the business of the Reno Costco but it is a great store. It probably does double the business it did five years ago. There are 3 Costcos- Reno (undersized overcrowded wild and crazy zoo), Sparks (getting to be a zoo, and not as much mix as Reno) and Carson (not real busy, really low on mix).

Reno Costco has tried to expand but hasn't had much luck. There used to be an Office Club/then Office Depot next to it and they tried to get that for years to expand but couldn't; eventually it went out of business but for whatever reason they couldn't get it. The next space over was a jumbo Petsmart which again they couldn't get. The next space over was built as "Auto Parts Club" (I think... might be my imagination) but didn't last long and has been furniture stores ever since. They also have an issue of too small of a parking lot. They relocated employee parking across the street where the gas station is probably 30 years ago or whenever they built the gas station.
Sam's really does a lot of curbside pickup and delivery business. I didn't realize how huge the space was until they moved the tire racks recently to expand the order holding area. The other thing that masks sales volume is Scan and Go. I think my local store may do half it's business between the two.

In areas with more liquor sales and also more cash only business both are less, but I hear they're installing cash acceptance on self checkout lanes this year which will help. These stores feel busier due to lines but may not really be.

I do remember some kind of auto parts club chain in OC near a Price Club that is long gone. I think that industry is so well organized from a logistics perspective that such a store is functionally obsolete. O'Reilly and AutoZone can take an order a minute before closing and the part will always be on site ready for pickup before opening, or if you're a mechanic it'll be at your shop at opening without fail. Who needs a inventory filled customer facing warehouse with super low churn? But it was a cool store versus these tiny parts stores we have these days.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: March 14th, 2024, 9:46 pm

Sam's really does a lot of curbside pickup and delivery business. I didn't realize how huge the space was until they moved the tire racks recently to expand the order holding area. The other thing that masks sales volume is Scan and Go. I think my local store may do half it's business between the two.

In areas with more liquor sales and also more cash only business both are less, but I hear they're installing cash acceptance on self checkout lanes this year which will help. These stores feel busier due to lines but may not really be.

I do remember some kind of auto parts club chain in OC near a Price Club that is long gone. I think that industry is so well organized from a logistics perspective that such a store is functionally obsolete. O'Reilly and AutoZone can take an order a minute before closing and the part will always be on site ready for pickup before opening, or if you're a mechanic it'll be at your shop at opening without fail. Who needs a inventory filled customer facing warehouse with super low churn? But it was a cool store versus these tiny parts stores we have these days.
I guess Auto Parts Club was a chain of some kind who liked to go locate near club stores. The Reno one rebranded to Auto Depot before closing. Auto parts business is interesting as downsized stores have become "the thing." The old Chief model basically successfully took over the industry and the larger store operators like Pep Boys/Grand/Kragen are long gone. I don't hear anyone saying they miss the old larger auto parts stores either.

I see very little pick up activity at Sam's when I shop there in the evenings. But if I go over there in the morning or early afternoon there is a ton of pick up activity out there. And those are larger transactions usually too so I could easily see that and Scan and Go being half of their sales.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

Reno Costco has tried to expand but hasn't had much luck. There used to be an Office Club/then Office Depot next to it and they tried to get that for years to expand but couldn't; eventually it went out of business but for whatever reason they couldn't get it.
Out of curiosity, I pulled this up on Google Maps and going through the timeline, it appears Costco did expand over into what was OfficeDepot sometime between June 2018 and May 2019, when the image shows that section repainted in matching Costco colors and the old entrance became a fire exit.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

mbz321 wrote: March 16th, 2024, 6:08 pm
Reno Costco has tried to expand but hasn't had much luck. There used to be an Office Club/then Office Depot next to it and they tried to get that for years to expand but couldn't; eventually it went out of business but for whatever reason they couldn't get it.
Out of curiosity, I pulled this up on Google Maps and going through the timeline, it appears Costco did expand over into what was OfficeDepot sometime between June 2018 and May 2019, when the image shows that section repainted in matching Costco colors and the old entrance became a fire exit.
What they wanted to do before was expand the entire building "out" (the old Office Depot) and bring that in line with the front of Costco. As in lose that row of parking, and expand the warehouse entirely into that row of parking. That was back when Office Depot refused to leave.

What they did taking the Office Depot space over in its old form has not delivered much visible to the customer from an expansion perspective. There is a small area in the back corner of the store where you can now walk into and it has paper products and pet items, that used to be backroom space, and may be part of the old Office Depot. I think they may have also expanded the produce walk in at that time.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Target Circle

Post by SamSpade »

I recently skipped a food item purchase as it was already somewhat high priced and I would have been forced to enroll in Circle to get the $1 savings on it.
Off Topic
... though I hate to say it, the Target on the 16th Street Mall (Denver, CO) has been useful. The first trip the food floor was pretty well stocked, the 2nd a bit of a disaster clearly as the conventioneers all find it and chose this store over the CVS across the street or the Walgreens kitty-corner.

One attendee remarked "does anyone know if this is all the wine they have?" The store has only an end cap of bottles.

I believe CO laws on wine are a bit weird? I seem to remember this is part of why Trader Joe's took so long to open here.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Target Circle

Post by ClownLoach »

SamSpade wrote: April 17th, 2024, 10:36 am I recently skipped a food item purchase as it was already somewhat high priced and I would have been forced to enroll in Circle to get the $1 savings on it.
Off Topic
... though I hate to say it, the Target on the 16th Street Mall (Denver, CO) has been useful. The first trip the food floor was pretty well stocked, the 2nd a bit of a disaster clearly as the conventioneers all find it and chose this store over the CVS across the street or the Walgreens kitty-corner.

One attendee remarked "does anyone know if this is all the wine they have?" The store has only an end cap of bottles.

I believe CO laws on wine are a bit weird? I seem to remember this is part of why Trader Joe's took so long to open here.
867-5309........
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Are they requiring Circle for all sale prices now? Like a grocery store loyalty card?
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: April 19th, 2024, 12:24 am Are they requiring Circle for all sale prices now? Like a grocery store loyalty card?
No.

The majority of the Circle offers are like they were before, an entire category discount. Those have a category sign somewhere on the fixture or in the aisle, like "20% off all cell phone accessories with Circle" or "$2 off any Keurig coffee" but not individually tagged prices. There are a handful of individual unit items with a teal color tag with a Circle discount, as if they are testing to see the customer reaction if they require it. I saw this on a few items on an endcap that was set up for "S'mores" with multi pack Hershey bars, marshmallows, and Honey Maid. Each item had a Circle sale price that was $1 less. But there are the usual thousands of regular red sale tags all over the store and those items aren't requiring Circle. The difference is if you see the Circle sign or tag now there is no "work" required to get the offer, it's automatically added at the register with your phone number or wallet barcode. Before you had to add it manually.

My understanding is they are doing a bunch of tests all over the country though and that has created some issues where some of the "deals" social media are finding in one area the Circle offer is % off, in others the same category is $ off, and in others they may be testing the same items in the category individually tagged with teal price tags for a "Circle price."

There are also still some personalized offers that are only on the Target app that you still have to manually "activate." But it was only one for me during "Circle week" and it was something like spend $70 or more 3 times in XX days and get a $15 off your next purchase reward. These are not signed in the store and differ from person to person. Today I have one oddball offer for 15% off coffee.

I also notice today in the app there are "Circle coupons" for 24 different items, and those do need to be "clicked" on the app. These "Circle coupons" definitely are personalized to my shopping as they are almost a perfect match to my last few shopping trips there, but it's a twist like a coupon for Palmolive dish soap - I always buy Dawn, and Finish dishwasher detergent - I only use Cascade. I'm assuming these offers trying to get me to try different brands of what I recently bought are not signed offers in the store and I would be the only one who would get a discount if I selected the offer.

But overall it's an improvement as all Circle category offers posted in the store previously had to be manually activated on the app by either searching for them, scanning the individual item in your cart with the Target app, or you would just not get the discount at the register. There were hundreds of offers that required this manual process by the customer using the app and that has gone away. I think they had a couple hundred items or small categories before that each required this manual activation, just like Albertsons/Safeway "for you" and the various Kroger store offers that ask you to scan the QR code on the price tag with their app. Now if you see any Circle offer sign or tag in the store you're going to get the discount automatically by putting in your number or scanning the app "wallet" barcode at the register. As far as I'm concerned this is the way it should be everywhere, if it is on a sign or tag at the store and I'm a member of their loyalty program then I should get that price or offer with no additional steps.

I hope that Kroger and Albertsons get rid of their complicated jumping through hoops nightmare app sales. At the Safeway brands and Kroger brands you already need a club card for the sale price so why also add the damned app on top of it?