Target Paid Membership Program?

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
storewanderer

Re: Target Paid Membership Program?

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: March 6th, 2024, 1:03 pm
storewanderer wrote: March 5th, 2024, 7:11 pm
ClownLoach wrote: March 5th, 2024, 4:38 pm

Unbelievable. I didn't want to say anything but I saw the exact same scenario in Menifee. SuperTarget store, had the large west bank of self checkouts closed but the small east bank open. Multiple machines out of order. A dozen full service checkouts with several lanes open no waiting. And a long queue of people waiting for the few working self checkouts. Makes me wonder why... Obviously they don't value their time, but also wonder if at least some of them were there deliberately hoping to pull off some kind of scam like ticket swapping, stolen credit card use, fake scanning theft etc. I can't imagine that everyone had some kind of embarrassing personal care items or whatever else that they didn't want to present to a cashier, especially considering there was a employee hovering around the few working self checkouts who would see such items anyway (I've heard this is a popular reason for self checkout use). A employee was telling customers there was no waiting on the full service lanes and most of these people still would not move. Bizarre.

The self checkout there also has a new corporate made sign that says "Express Self Checkout - 10 Items or Less." The closed bank said "Express Self Checkout is Closed - Full Service Lanes Open to Assist You". And unlike the past they were careful to log out all of these self checkouts so nobody could sneak around and use them unsupervised.

https://www.retaildive.com/news/rfid-te ... ry/707312/
I see this type of thing all the time in stores. This tells you that many customers DO NOT want to go to a regular cashier. They probably don't want to deal with the superficial interaction, the hard sell for a "red card," not being able to see prices as they scan, etc.
So I am one that prefers self checkout too for all the reasons given. Having said that, Target hasn't offered me a RedCard application in years. And it isn't like I give it away easily that I already have one. Target has completely let all standards go away when it comes to their front end operations. There is zero supervision, a total lack of even basic "Hello" and "Thank you" most of the time, visible clutter and mess at the cashier stations, and if I am buying more than 10 items I catch them making a mistake (usually double scan or scanning wrong item twice) because of poor training. They love to try to rearrange items and scan multiples instead of simple scan and bag one at a time which of course is the best way to prevent errors. My understanding is that their current HR practices do not hold them accountable for results, but behavior instead. So as long as they ask if the supervisor is standing next to them watching then they will never get fired even if not a single customer applies for a RedCard. To fire them or write them up "observed behaviors" are required. And of course as discussed most of the cashiers were never on their assigned register in the first place because the lazy managers pull them to the floor where they work with zero sense of urgency because they aren't accountable for anything they do out there. My understanding is that they had also suspended their attendance policies during COVID and were no longer holding anyone accountable for arriving to work on time, not calling out excessively etc.

It sounds like the forcing the managers not to pull cashiers off the register rule is the beginning of bringing back accountability to Target. They used to be the best "people managers" in retail but this CEO has broken that culture. Supposedly he did the same in his previous companies.
I got a completely unenthusiastic robotic "do you have a red card" out of a Target cashier this week. That was all she said to me; no smile, barely even looked up at me. Also took like 10 seconds just sort of staring down then over toward the wall after scanning my items, to total it out and activate the pinpad. Same treatment for the customers in front of me and behind me. This is the type of interaction where I say- just let me do self checkout. Terrible interaction. I feel the same way after most fast food counter ordering experiences.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

ClownLoach wrote: March 6th, 2024, 9:54 am
There are also gig work apps like "Field Agent" currently available that are intended to generate exception reports for retailers and reduce the need for District Managers and even Store Managers... Apps that tell customers to look for certain items and take pictures of them in a store, or take pictures of the price tag or even the entire aisle. This in turn becomes the validation work that the Manager used to do like checking if the new planogram was set correctly, price changes completed, recalls done etc.. You get something like ten cents per picture and the offer is aimed at customers (who become gig workers) as "you're already shopping at XYZ store, go on a treasure hunt for us while you're there and get paid!"
Funny you bring up Field Agent as I do that as a little side gig when jobs pop up close to me. Some of the tasks are stupid easy, like go into Walmart/Costco/whatever and take a picture or two of a display and get $5-$10. Simple. Others are a bit more time consuming but still the same amount of pay (which slowly increases every couple days until someone accepts it, sometimes even at that point they still aren't worth it to do.) It seems Proctor and Gamble use it heavily to check on displays/inventory.

Although sometimes the jobs are a bit odd. A few weeks ago, there was one for a 'Costco Register Audit' which entailed going into Costco and counting/taking pictures of locations with cash registers. There was no clear sponsor listed for that 'job' and from what I overheard, Costco LP was not too happy about that. Also, maybe its just my phone but I rarely get notified about new 'jobs', so it's pretty much luck of the draw by constantly checking the app, but they do pay out and I end up getting a couple hundred bucks over the course of a year.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

I guess I have been lucky with Target cashiers in my area.

I find them to be friendly and helpful, also the Customer Service desk.

Recently I have noticed that there are fewer "slow moving" senior citizens checking. Curious..................
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

veteran+ wrote: March 7th, 2024, 8:41 am I guess I have been lucky with Target cashiers in my area.

Recently I have noticed that there are fewer "slow moving" senior citizens checking. Curious..................
I try to keep things balanced. I like some of the improvements I've seen in the past few years at Target, especially the improved effort in at least some of the long stagnant Super locations that previously seemed to be comatose. I did like the improved interiors and formats that were going into remodels, but the more recent ones of the past 18 months or so appear to be excessively cost engineered and not only don't improve the shopping experience but in many ways cheapen the store in a way that is not consistent with decades of Target practices.

When I find a well run Target store I find it to be a great shopping experience, and I do wind up buying a considerable amount of product there. There are plenty of bad stores too, and that is something that never happened a decade ago and beyond. Target was the absolute epitome of consistency in operations, standards, and service in the retail industry. That didn't necessarily mean you would get Nordstrom level service, but the behaviors of the employees were consistently professional, friendly and efficient. The stores were uniform and consistent to the point where I could enter a building I've never visited before in my life five minutes before closing and locate and select an item I need, get through the register, and exit before the doors closed. Today that would be impossible even in a store I shop regularly due to bizarre layout choices, inconsistent stocking, and poor front end service. That is a problem as my same example I can now execute in Walmart stores I've never been to, five minutes in and out for one specific item (obviously their App helps accomplish this, but so does availability of self checkouts and/or open lanes along with excellent in stocks, acceptable recovery, and inventory accuracy).

My professional opinion is that Target has allowed a lack of discipline to infect their organization and it appears to have affected the company from HQ to the last store. That has resulted in vastly differing customer experiences from store to store, and even same store day to day. I have never worked there personally. But I feel that the company is moving in the wrong direction overall and a course correction is well overdue.

The fact that the Chief Operating Officer has been replaced, and we see some inklings of cultural changes that will demand increased discipline is a positive in my eyes. If I was an investor I would have been pushing for such a change because inconsistent operators always underperform to their potential. Sales absolutely can and should be much better, but the gaps between the best and worst stores are way too wide. Walmart has closed these gaps significantly in the last two years while they have widened at Target and I think this is well reflected in the better results Walmart is seeing.

Target definitely leaves a lot on the table and does not have to become a difficult place to work or shop, but can close the gaps. RedCard is a perfect example of this; inflation is out of control and they offer a everyday 5% discount if you're willing to spend two minutes signing up for a debit card to help them pass along savings that stem from avoiding the credit card processing fees. Should this be forcibly shoved down the customer throat? No. Should every customer be told of its existence in a consistent manner so they can make their own choice? Absolutely, and furthermore it could become a matter where they are considered to be discriminating against certain people or communities if they are not presented to every customer the same way. Right now that door for such lawsuits and negative publicity is wide open. Same thing when they have obviously reduced payroll so much that stores in rougher areas no longer have the ability to clean the store, restock the store, and process all the freight on the hours given so something is always below the customer expectations. This was the everyday at Walmart previously, but now I am seeing stores in tough areas being operated with pride and standards which the community respects and responds to in a positive manner more often than not.

I think that we should all observe Target and what kind of changes we see over the next year and a half because it will likely take that long for the new Chief Operating Officer (Head of Stores) to fix things. Sometimes things have to get worse before they get better, and when bad managers get fired because new policies break the workarounds that kept them employed there will be some messes and broken stores until new management can correct the issues. But I expect we will see a vast improvement in the next year especially because this new COO has CFO experience and understands the money reasons behind everything, thus will understand that fixing problem X means $X million or billion in improved sales and profit.

And if we do not see things getting overall better and a sense of discipline returning (so stores like that Reno location we love to complain about, or Moreno Valley, or Garden Grove etc. are fixed), then we all know that Target needs a CEO change instead.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

ClownLoach wrote: March 7th, 2024, 10:36 am
veteran+ wrote: March 7th, 2024, 8:41 am I guess I have been lucky with Target cashiers in my area.

I try to keep things balanced. I like some of the improvements I've seen in the past few years at Target, especially the improved effort in at least some of the long stagnant Super locations that previously seemed to be comatose. I did like the improved interiors and formats that were going into remodels, but the more recent ones of the past 18 months or so appear to be excessively cost engineered and not only don't improve the shopping experience but in many ways cheapen the store in a way that is not consistent with decades of Target practices.

When I find a well run Target store I find it to be a great shopping experience, and I do wind up buying a considerable amount of product there. There are plenty of bad stores too, and that is something that never happened a decade ago and beyond. Target was the absolute epitome of consistency in operations, standards, and service in the retail industry. That didn't necessarily mean you would get Nordstrom level service, but the behaviors of the employees were consistently professional, friendly and efficient. The stores were uniform and consistent to the point where I could enter a building I've never visited before in my life five minutes before closing and locate and select an item I need, get through the register, and exit before the doors closed. Today that would be impossible even in a store I shop regularly due to bizarre layout choices, inconsistent stocking, and poor front end service. That is a problem as my same example I can now execute in Walmart stores I've never been to, five minutes in and out for one specific item (obviously their App helps accomplish this, but so does availability of self checkouts and/or open lanes along with excellent in stocks, acceptable recovery, and inventory accuracy).

My professional opinion is that Target has allowed a lack of discipline to infect their organization and it appears to have affected the company from HQ to the last store. That has resulted in vastly differing customer experiences from store to store, and even same store day to day. I have never worked there personally. But I feel that the company is moving in the wrong direction overall and a course correction is well overdue.

The fact that the Chief Operating Officer has been replaced, and we see some inklings of cultural changes that will demand increased discipline is a positive in my eyes. If I was an investor I would have been pushing for such a change because inconsistent operators always underperform to their potential. Sales absolutely can and should be much better, but the gaps between the best and worst stores are way too wide. Walmart has closed these gaps significantly in the last two years while they have widened at Target and I think this is well reflected in the better results Walmart is seeing.

Target definitely leaves a lot on the table and does not have to become a difficult place to work or shop, but can close the gaps. RedCard is a perfect example of this; inflation is out of control and they offer a everyday 5% discount if you're willing to spend two minutes signing up for a debit card to help them pass along savings that stem from avoiding the credit card processing fees. Should this be forcibly shoved down the customer throat? No. Should every customer be told of its existence in a consistent manner so they can make their own choice? Absolutely, and furthermore it could become a matter where they are considered to be discriminating against certain people or communities if they are not presented to every customer the same way. Right now that door for such lawsuits and negative publicity is wide open. Same thing when they have obviously reduced payroll so much that stores in rougher areas no longer have the ability to clean the store, restock the store, and process all the freight on the hours given so something is always below the customer expectations. This was the everyday at Walmart previously, but now I am seeing stores in tough areas being operated with pride and standards which the community respects and responds to in a positive manner more often than not.

I think that we should all observe Target and what kind of changes we see over the next year and a half because it will likely take that long for the new Chief Operating Officer (Head of Stores) to fix things. Sometimes things have to get worse before they get better, and when bad managers get fired because new policies break the workarounds that kept them employed there will be some messes and broken stores until new management can correct the issues. But I expect we will see a vast improvement in the next year especially because this new COO has CFO experience and understands the money reasons behind everything, thus will understand that fixing problem X means $X million or billion in improved sales and profit.

And if we do not see things getting overall better and a sense of discipline returning (so stores like that Reno location we love to complain about, or Moreno Valley, or Garden Grove etc. are fixed), then we all know that Target needs a CEO change instead.
I agree 100% with all your observations.

I just have not experienced problematic employees yet 🤞

As far as Walmart? Not in any universe for me. Don't like their way of doing business here and overseas (regarding labor and factory conditions). Lawsuits of all kinds here and eslewhere. No other retailer comes close, though it seems like the "dollar" type stores are "trying" real hard.

And please, no false equivalents ;) ☮️🤗
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: March 7th, 2024, 1:42 pm
ClownLoach wrote: March 7th, 2024, 10:36 am

I agree 100% with all your observations.

I just have not experienced problematic employees yet 🤞

As far as Walmart? Not in any universe for me. Don't like their way of doing business here and overseas (regarding labor and factory conditions). Lawsuits of all kinds here and eslewhere. No other retailer comes close, though it seems like the "dollar" type stores are "trying" real hard.

And please, no false equivalents ;) ☮️🤗
Wal Mart seems to me like it is improving. Are their labor and factory conditions overseas really any worse/different than most other retailers? Obviously they buy way more product so they have a lot more exposure.

At the store level there have been a lot of improvements at Wal Mart. They have significantly increased their starting wage in my market paying well above most other retailers. This is helping their employee retention and quality of employee significantly. Many Wal Mart operations look better than the chain grocers in my area (since they pay more...). I still am not sure how much of this is Wal Mart improving and how much of this is the chain grocers having a serious decline in standards.

To that point the decline in Target standards discussed above, is not a condition unique to Target. This is a condition that has persisted across many industries since COVID. In the case of Target the decay was already starting before COVID.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Their overseas factories are indeed worse than other large retailers (well documented). Cheap goods come with a HIGH price that other humans have to pay. America's demand for these low prices is not free.

You are forgiving and that's very cool☮️. I am not, especially what they did to my senior citizen Mom (when she was alive) when she worked for them causing my police officer sister to intervene.

They may have "improved" in America with how they treat their employees but their past is horrific. Also maybe stuff continues to happen but the media got bored with Walmart or bribed out of caring to report. I do not know.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: March 8th, 2024, 8:00 am Their overseas factories are indeed worse than other large retailers (well documented). Cheap goods come with a HIGH price that other humans have to pay. America's demand for these low prices is not free.

You are forgiving and that's very cool☮️. I am not, especially what they did to my senior citizen Mom (when she was alive) when she worked for them causing my police officer sister to intervene.

They may have "improved" in America with how they treat their employees but their past is horrific. Also maybe stuff continues to happen but the media got bored with Walmart or bribed out of caring to report. I do not know.
Are their factories really still worse? A lot of these factories make stuff for multiple retailers... not just Wal Mart... and clearly manufacturing isn't coming back here given how mad politicians on both sides were about tariffs that tried to accomplish that goal...

I really think it is more other retailers have gotten way worse, and Wal Mart has gotten slightly better, on a number of fronts. Their products aren't exactly "cheap" anymore either.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: March 9th, 2024, 12:25 am
veteran+ wrote: March 8th, 2024, 8:00 am Their overseas factories are indeed worse than other large retailers (well documented). Cheap goods come with a HIGH price that other humans have to pay. America's demand for these low prices is not free.

Are their factories really still worse? A lot of these factories make stuff for multiple retailers... not just Wal Mart... and clearly manufacturing isn't coming back here given how mad politicians on both sides were about tariffs that tried to accomplish that goal...

I really think it is more other retailers have gotten way worse, and Wal Mart has gotten slightly better, on a number of fronts. Their products aren't exactly "cheap" anymore either.
I also question if their factories are actually still worse. There has been considerable consolidation in China of manufacturers of goods to be sold to America, meaning that few if any of them are exclusively Walmart production. I cannot speak for Walmart having never worked there, but my last company had largely avoided any scandals around slave labor produced items, child labor, items produced by factories dumping toxic waste into the environment, lead poisoning, etc. by having a rigorous vendor compliance department with office in China. These employees all came from the US offices and would educate the vendors on the company expectations, and they would also conduct unannounced surprise inspections. Not just a few, but thousands of unannounced audits annually. If a vendor was out of compliance on any of the major issues like child or slave labor, dumping toxic waste etc. they risked immediate termination of contract with zero payment and claw back of past payments which would basically put them out of business. Many of the largest vendors we used also produced goods for Walmart in the same facilities. In the last decade I saw very few recalls for anything related to overseas production scandals. The largest issues were all the fault of the American office sending designs with typos that the Chinese factories reproduced flawlessly. No lead poisoning risk except one toy that was recalled simultaneously at Walmart, Target, Toys R US, and the craft store chains as everyone had the same item in their own packaging. I'm sure everyone in the business fired that vendor. Look back in the early 2000s and every day there were new recalls (especially toys) and production scandals with people found working in appalling conditions and slave labor. You don't see these stories now like you did then because the news headlines were always worded like "A factory for Walmart was found to employ slave labor..." This bad PR forced all the retailers including Walmart to become more disciplined.

Furthermore the companies that pushed to all China production are pulling back from that due to high shipping costs and yes, concerns about potential future scandals that will be PR nightmares. You see a tremendous amount of merchandise that is now made in Vietnam, South Korea, Malaysia, and the biggest winner Mexico. You may have heard China is in a severe recession because of the loss of so much production outside of the tech industry, although they won't admit to a crashing economy publicly.

So I think there is a very fair argument to be made that Walmart factories may not be any worse than anyone else now simply because production has globalized and everyone is sharing the same facilities. What I do question is the dollar stores where the quality of goods appears to be more suspect and we know there is zero investment in any kind of compliance based on all the fines and issues in the news lately like the Family Dollar warehouse infested with rats, $41 million fine. I wouldn't be caught dead shopping Family Dollar or Dollar General because I don't think they are safe places to shop.

I honestly do think that these sleazy dollar chains have pretty much replaced Walmart as the bad guys of the industry.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: March 9th, 2024, 9:54 am

I also question if their factories are actually still worse. There has been considerable consolidation in China of manufacturers of goods to be sold to America, meaning that few if any of them are exclusively Walmart production. I cannot speak for Walmart having never worked there, but my last company had largely avoided any scandals around slave labor produced items, child labor, items produced by factories dumping toxic waste into the environment, lead poisoning, etc. by having a rigorous vendor compliance department with office in China. These employees all came from the US offices and would educate the vendors on the company expectations, and they would also conduct unannounced surprise inspections. Not just a few, but thousands of unannounced audits annually. If a vendor was out of compliance on any of the major issues like child or slave labor, dumping toxic waste etc. they risked immediate termination of contract with zero payment and claw back of past payments which would basically put them out of business. Many of the largest vendors we used also produced goods for Walmart in the same facilities. In the last decade I saw very few recalls for anything related to overseas production scandals. The largest issues were all the fault of the American office sending designs with typos that the Chinese factories reproduced flawlessly. No lead poisoning risk except one toy that was recalled simultaneously at Walmart, Target, Toys R US, and the craft store chains as everyone had the same item in their own packaging. I'm sure everyone in the business fired that vendor. Look back in the early 2000s and every day there were new recalls (especially toys) and production scandals with people found working in appalling conditions and slave labor. You don't see these stories now like you did then because the news headlines were always worded like "A factory for Walmart was found to employ slave labor..." This bad PR forced all the retailers including Walmart to become more disciplined.

Furthermore the companies that pushed to all China production are pulling back from that due to high shipping costs and yes, concerns about potential future scandals that will be PR nightmares. You see a tremendous amount of merchandise that is now made in Vietnam, South Korea, Malaysia, and the biggest winner Mexico. You may have heard China is in a severe recession because of the loss of so much production outside of the tech industry, although they won't admit to a crashing economy publicly.

So I think there is a very fair argument to be made that Walmart factories may not be any worse than anyone else now simply because production has globalized and everyone is sharing the same facilities. What I do question is the dollar stores where the quality of goods appears to be more suspect and we know there is zero investment in any kind of compliance based on all the fines and issues in the news lately like the Family Dollar warehouse infested with rats, $41 million fine. I wouldn't be caught dead shopping Family Dollar or Dollar General because I don't think they are safe places to shop.

I honestly do think that these sleazy dollar chains have pretty much replaced Walmart as the bad guys of the industry.
This is from 2006: https://www.fastcompany.com/674376/wal- ... gram-fraud

I'd sure like to see more current information.

Given we don't see a lot of headlines out there talking about how bad things are, my suspicion is things have improved.

I can't find much at all about how Target handles this either. What are their standards that are so great/so much better?

Dollar General's private label products aren't bad. Some of their home decor items are quite good (especially at 90%-95% off).