Thrifty Ice Cream now at Vons/Albertsons

storewanderer

Thrifty Ice Cream now at Vons/Albertsons

Post by storewanderer »

So far a limited number of flavors.
5.99 regular price 5.49 sale price.

Hope they don't get control of this product and reformulate it like their Lucerne and Signature Ice Creams, both are terrible quality ice cream. Similar to their terrible quality store brand breads.

At least this should calm down concerns about the future of the ice cream...

But why would they let a competitor who in many cases is in the same shopping center as them sell Thrifty Ice Cream all of a sudden...? This product generates significant traffic for Rite Aid but if it is available in Vons just buy it there with other groceries and frozen items...

Maybe on March 20 we will better understand why this is...

This is great about the ice cream but to me it raises a serious red flag about the future of Rite Aid West.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Thrifty Ice Cream now at Vons/Albertsons

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 12:07 pm So far a limited number of flavors.
5.99 regular price 5.49 sale price.

Hope they don't get control of this product and reformulate it like their Lucerne and Signature Ice Creams, both are terrible quality ice cream. Similar to their terrible quality store brand breads.

At least this should calm down concerns about the future of the ice cream...

But why would they let a competitor who in many cases is in the same shopping center as them sell Thrifty Ice Cream all of a sudden...? This product generates significant traffic for Rite Aid but if it is available in Vons just buy it there with other groceries and frozen items...

Maybe on March 20 we will better understand why this is...

This is great about the ice cream but to me it raises a serious red flag about the future of Rite Aid West.
I'm glad to hear this.

Hopefully Stater Bros. also ends up selling Thrifty Ice Cream. Although Stater Bros. brand ice cream is great quality too (maybe I'm biased now).
I know Haggen sold it during the CA expansion Comvest dragged them into.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Yeah. It has been sold at other stores before... always secondary type stores...

I guess we will see what happens. The timing is interesting to say the least.

They will move A LOT of product through Vons and Albertsons due to the foot traffic and the terrible quality Lucerne and Signature Ice Creams. More than Kroger as Kroger private label ice cream is also really good and if Stater is good too, then less reason for customers to buy this at those stores.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

Funny I just saw this today a half hour ago at Albertsons...I'd always thought that half gallon--home freezer size-- of Thrifty was widely sold in California...didn't realize it was an exclusive.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Romr123 wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 1:22 pm Funny I just saw this today a half hour ago at Albertsons...I'd always thought that half gallon--home freezer size-- of Thrifty was widely sold in California...didn't realize it was an exclusive.
Wasn't exactly an exclusive. Some ethnic stores like Seafood City and 99 Ranch carry a few flavors of half gallons. The closest it ever got to a major grocery in CA was Haggen.

This is big news for keeping the ice cream viable as Rite Aid shrinks.
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

i'll be keeping my eyes peeled for thrifty ice cream to show up at safeway in norcal in the coming weeks. i hope they keep the ice cream properties independent of albertsons control and if successful they can discontinue signature select/lucerne ice cream if they roll out thrifty ice cream in more regions.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Makes you wonder if Albertsons trying to buy Rite Aid is in the works again....
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

Super S wrote: February 24th, 2024, 1:02 pm Makes you wonder if Albertsons trying to buy Rite Aid is in the works again....
i highly doubt it but, i do think norcal, bay area, and oregon could potentially either close or be divested to CVS in the near future.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Safeway has been buying the prescription records of many of the recently closed Rite Aids in the San Francisco Bay Area. Safeway wants the extra business as it draws shoppers to Safeway who would usually not visit as often.

Pharmacies at Safeway do increase sales. While you wait for prescriptions you end up browsing and buying many items that you never would have noticed.

CVS is so busy and behind in filling prescriptions that they let Safeway take over those Rite Aid prescriptions. Safeway wants the customers but not the actual Rite Aid stores.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

reymann wrote: February 24th, 2024, 1:04 pm
Super S wrote: February 24th, 2024, 1:02 pm Makes you wonder if Albertsons trying to buy Rite Aid is in the works again....
i highly doubt it but, i do think norcal, bay area, and oregon could potentially either close or be divested to CVS in the near future.
Close, maybe. Divest, no. Company is being sold in its entirety with the only carve out being Elixir. It's not being sold in pieces.