Dollar Tree - Family Dollar

storewanderer

Re: Dollar Tree - Family Dollar

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: March 14th, 2024, 9:28 am "We can say what we want but these stores are an important source of various consumable/household goods and when areas already have few choices, a closure is not good. I am talking basic everyday things like paper products, dish soap, etc. Forget the other nonessential stuff like party supplies and cheap toys, candy, etc."

You seem to often advocate for pyrrhic victory scenarios.

:?

Better have 💩 than nothing at all?

🤷‍♂️
But some of the items are fine.

The Dawn or Palmolive sold there is the same as anywhere else. Palmolive is currently 8.7 ounces at 1.25 and that is a better deal than grocers or drugstores regular prices.

The bottle of Softsoap liquid soap sold there for 1.25 that is $2+ at grocers or drugstores is the same as anywhere else.

The bottle of 70% Swan brand Rubbing Alcohol that is 1.25 there is the same exact one that has private label of various grocers and drugstores and sells for $2 to $3.

Take it out of the neighborhood and what is left?

They do have some useful essential goods they sell that are the same product as anywhere else. And the smaller size products can be convenient for singles or those living in small spaces or those who don't want to stockpile. Or elderly people who can't handle a 64oz drum of lower cost per ounce dish liquid.

Also on the above items I describe they make little profit. If any.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

veteran+ wrote: March 14th, 2024, 9:28 am "We can say what we want but these stores are an important source of various consumable/household goods and when areas already have few choices, a closure is not good. I am talking basic everyday things like paper products, dish soap, etc. Forget the other nonessential stuff like party supplies and cheap toys, candy, etc."

🤷‍♂️
Those customers are just going to either go to Dollar General instead (if they have stores in the area), travel farther for essentials, or get gouged by the local bodegas, which are just as filthy. Barring certain exceptions like nuisance businesses, closing stores is NEVER something to celebrate.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

pseudo3d wrote: March 16th, 2024, 9:43 am

🤷‍♂️
Those customers are just going to either go to Dollar General instead (if they have stores in the area), travel farther for essentials, or get gouged by the local bodegas, which are just as filthy. Barring certain exceptions like nuisance businesses, closing stores is NEVER something to celebrate.
I won't miss Family Dollar- they are useless. I won't miss Big Lots either if they go away. I know this has nothing to do with the thread but I was thinking of stores I find so lost that if they were to go away I wouldn't miss one thing about them. I can't think of many stores I feel that way about.

Dollar Tree- is a bit of a loss. At least in its current form. As they continue to drift further from the "everything's 1.25" model my opinion is probably going to change.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The Dollar Tree stores in the Oakland area are really getting extreme. A security guard now has a table at the door where they will make you open up your backpack and search everything.

It is like an airport screening.
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

At the two dollar tree stores in the bad part of Fresno, they don't allow any backpacks or large bags in the store. Walgreen's near Fresno City College has also implemented a large bag prohibition due to theft issues. This may be a trend in areas with high theft.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I was thinking the open your backpack rule might be to discourage robberies. Many people carry guns in the Oakland area.

I was at a Walmart near Oakland a man asked an employee if they sold bullets. He was definitely carrying a gun. The local Walmart stores has a bullet hole in the ceiling from when a loss prevention person was struggling with a man with a gun.

When I worked for Ross years ago you had to leave your bags at the customer service desk. You would get a number to retrieve it later.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: April 19th, 2024, 9:20 am https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail- ... le-workers

Par...................
Just sit back and watch their mix expansion and price changes play out...

Family Dollar provides a lens into how I think that will play out. Guess we will see.