Valued Contributor

Self Check Outs

Post by veteran+ »

babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Self Check Outs

Post by babs »

Government imposed mandates on how businesses should be run is never a good thing.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The problem is that employees feel that they are being replaced by self checkout machines. If companies feel that they save money with self checkout, then they will install self checkout. If studies show that there is a large amount of shrink, then companies may get rid of self checkout.

Let the companies decide for themselves whether self checkout is a money losing system.

In some, high theft low income areas self checkout really is a money losing thing. In the rich suburbs, perhaps not so much.
Bluelightspecial
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by Bluelightspecial »

Alpha8472 wrote: April 4th, 2024, 9:20 am The problem is that employees feel that they are being replaced by self checkout machines. If companies feel that they save money with self checkout, then they will install self checkout. If studies show that there is a large amount of shrink, then companies may get rid of self checkout.

Let the companies decide for themselves whether self checkout is a money losing system.

In some, high theft low income areas self checkout really is a money losing thing. In the rich suburbs, perhaps not so much.
What is the reasoning? Obviously California lawmakers don't care about shrink or theft, so this is just another excuse to support unions. In California you already can't use self checkout for liquor sales. This will only cause prices to go up......and frankly the reason I'd rather use self checkout is that most of the checkers are so slow. Checkers used to have to remember codes and scan a certain amount of items per minute..
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The lawmaker(s) who promote this law clearly do not visit stores often or they only shop at some exclusive gourmet type store with low traffic and no self checkouts.

Until people stand up and communicate their opposition to this type of proposed law these laws will pass. The groups of extreme minority parties who support the laws are well organized and know how to make these types of things get passed. The general public isn't paying attention and doesn't know what is going on until it is too late.

The liquor rules already accomplish not allowing stores in CA to be "self checkout only." They should be happy with that fact and leave it at that. Nobody is forced to use self checkout in CA.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

Bluelightspecial wrote: April 4th, 2024, 11:49 am What is the reasoning? Obviously California lawmakers don't care about shrink or theft, so this is just another excuse to support unions. In California you already can't use self checkout for liquor sales. This will only cause prices to go up......and frankly the reason I'd rather use self checkout is that most of the checkers are so slow. Checkers used to have to remember codes and scan a certain amount of items per minute..
The underlying reasoning is probably just to protect jobs. But they may frame it as an anti-theft measure. Self-checkout is often blamed for higher theft rates, which then occupies police and court time. So the stores are saving money on labor, and the government is picking up the tab. This may be sold as a way to prevent that.

1 employee per 2 checkouts is rather unreasonable. If it were 1:6 or so, I might support it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: April 5th, 2024, 12:06 am
Bluelightspecial wrote: April 4th, 2024, 11:49 am What is the reasoning? Obviously California lawmakers don't care about shrink or theft, so this is just another excuse to support unions. In California you already can't use self checkout for liquor sales. This will only cause prices to go up......and frankly the reason I'd rather use self checkout is that most of the checkers are so slow. Checkers used to have to remember codes and scan a certain amount of items per minute..
The underlying reasoning is probably just to protect jobs. But they may frame it as an anti-theft measure. Self-checkout is often blamed for higher theft rates, which then occupies police and court time. So the stores are saving money on labor, and the government is picking up the tab. This may be sold as a way to prevent that.

1 employee per 2 checkouts is rather unreasonable. If it were 1:6 or so, I might support it.
The correct employee:self checkout ratio is 1:4 in my opinion generally speaking. However in CA without liquor that cuts down self checkout interactions significantly with customers so I think 1:6 in CA actually is appropriate but some of that could depend on how the self checkout area is laid out.

1:6 has become pretty common. That is the standard at Kroger nationwide. I see that at a lot of Safeway operations as well. Also WinCo. Food Maxx has 0:6 but usually half of them are broken anyway. Eventually the cashier runs over from a register and helps you.

They could also impose an item limit on self checkout which would put the longer/complicated transactions to a cashier (that helps jobs..), but it is major overreach for a government to do that in my opinion.

If they could get hard data on how much theft that is taking up police and court time is via self checkout from police organizations that would be a real game changer on this topic. My suspicion is most large thefts are not going to self checkout. There are too many cameras. But the police data could prove that theory of mine wrong.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The problem with self checkout theft is that much of it is unreported especially in California where the police will not even show up.

Self checkout theft was so bad at Costco in San Leandro, California (next to Oakland), that the Costco employees just threw up their hands and said self checkout is broken.

You have not witnessed the insanity until you've seen Walmart self checkout craziness near Oakland. Usually you see groups of people creating a diversion by screaming at employees and creating a scene while people with cart loads of merchandise zoom right out the exit door. Usually it involves people screaming discrimination or that employees are watching them too closely at self checkout.

The loudest complainers are the self checkout thieves.

This why the Oakland area is beyond hope and Walmart shut down the Oakland store. It is a free for all looting mentality. For your own safety and sanity just avoid the area.

You would think it is rare, but it is a daily thing. People wonder why Walmart can't retain employees.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

babs wrote: April 4th, 2024, 9:07 am
Government imposed mandates on how businesses should be run is never a good thing.
Perhaps, but if businesses will not do the right thing then..................who?
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Side note:

Target across the street from The Beverly Center Mall had all their Self Checkouts closed. There were 4 regular lanes open an flowing nicely.