Dom's and Foxtrot Closed, Chapter 7 BK

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. No non-grocery posts.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Dom's and Foxtrot Closed, Chapter 7 BK

Post by ClownLoach »

Dom's and Foxtrot Markets have abruptly closed permanently.

One handwritten sign left by workers said "not a joke" and "$180,000,000 in the hole."

https://chicago.eater.com/2024/4/23/241 ... ty-closing
storewanderer

Re: Dom's and Foxtrot Closed, Chapter 7 BK

Post by storewanderer »

Mariano was involved in this. Maybe he was not there anymore at this point in time. Maybe C&S can hire him. Might help their credibility significantly...
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

ClownLoach wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 2:37 pm Dom's and Foxtrot Markets have abruptly closed permanently.

One handwritten sign left by workers said "not a joke" and "$180,000,000 in the hole."

https://chicago.eater.com/2024/4/23/241 ... ty-closing
Typical pedestrian business plan with grade school market research influenced by nebulous hopes and dreams (and some hubris as well).

The cocktail that causes small business failure rates close to 99% (no matter the funding).

🤷‍♂️

Stupid!
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

On reddit, a couple of Dom's employees mentioned Mariano looked ill and frail when he would visit prior to the sale to Foxtrot. Others have speculated the sale was precipitated by him being ill.

Regardless, the majority of posts I've seen think Dom's and Foxtrot were not a good match and that Dom's was the healthier of the two companies.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: April 24th, 2024, 8:19 pm On reddit, a couple of Dom's employees mentioned Mariano looked ill and frail when he would visit prior to the sale to Foxtrot. Others have speculated the sale was precipitated by him being ill.

Regardless, the majority of posts I've seen think Dom's and Foxtrot were not a good match and that Dom's was the healthier of the two companies.
I never understood why these two things got merged together in the first place. But the above situation likely explains why. Foxtrot I never understood. Dom's I understood.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

The merger was engineered by the private equity that was financing their rapid expansion. The Foxtrots in DC generally seemed to do an ok business with the exception of the one near me, which had opened last year. Interestingly, they had just constructed an enclosure for outside seating at that one.

One problem with their model may have been expecting a lot of revenue from delivery--what they sold may have been suited to delivery during COVID to a greater extent than now. They were rather app-centric which makes think that collecting and selling data was part of their model, which also might have underperformed because they'd need a big scale for that to be attractive to other data users. They might have done better with their morning trade except they were almost next door to Slipstream, a local coffee house chain that has established a solid following for itself.