Wawa CEO: There is no "Gentlemen's agreement" with Sheetz

Gas stations & convenience stores (AM/PM, 7-Eleven, etc.)
storewanderer

Re: Wawa CEO: There is no "Gentlemen's agreement" with Sheetz

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: May 4th, 2024, 11:57 am
As an example, even though not due to this situation - many posted about no longer getting coffee from Cumberland, since they went from their old $0.99 to $1.29 and then to having different prices for different sizes, such that a large cup that had been $1.07 (after tax) is now $1.83.
They switched to other chains, even though those chains are still more (for instance, Stewarts in NY is $2 for the same size, and I'm sure Dunkin is even higher), just because they were upset that Cumberland raised prices so much in a fairly short time (rather than being happy that they had kept that 99-cent price for FIFTEEN years).

As to how to prove it, I did already say that was difficult for the same reasons you mention (that even building stores in that area wouldn't mean people would go to them, like the ShopRite example I listed).
Out here in NV the Cumberland Farms unit (Quik Stop) is now at 1.49 for a small 12oz coffee and 2.29 for the Extra Large (24oz I think). These prices are still pretty competitive with other gas stations but nobody is buying coffee there anymore.

They probably should have tried 1.39 any size and been happy.

My guess is they are preparing to sell their units to 7-Eleven and don't want a repeat of the mess when 7-Eleven killed the "any size 89 cents" program Speedway was running on soda/frozen. Speedway never discounted coffee so drastically as cold dispenser drinks due to the more labor intensive nature of the coffee program plus the added cost of coffee condiments. Speedway was very intelligently run before 7-Eleven.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: May 4th, 2024, 12:09 pm Out here in NV the Cumberland Farms unit (Quik Stop) is now at 1.49 for a small 12oz coffee and 2.29 for the Extra Large (24oz I think). These prices are still pretty competitive with other gas stations but nobody is buying coffee there anymore.

They probably should have tried 1.39 any size and been happy.

My guess is they are preparing to sell their units to 7-Eleven and don't want a repeat of the mess when 7-Eleven killed the "any size 89 cents" program Speedway was running on soda/frozen. Speedway never discounted coffee so drastically as cold dispenser drinks due to the more labor intensive nature of the coffee program plus the added cost of coffee condiments. Speedway was very intelligently run before 7-Eleven.
Here they went to $1.29 any size (which was $1.39 with tax), and now it's like $1.29 small, $1.49 medium, $1.69 large and the $2.29 XL (which they never had here, but had tried in FL, at least with the iced coffee).

$1.83 is just the $1.69 with tax added for NY 8%.

So, odd that some may be the same but others different (like your small being that much more, unless that is the same size as the medium here, possibly - never have had oz. measures on them, unlike other places).
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

I heard rumors that Wegmans stayed out of the Philly area for years due to a 'gentleman's agreement' with Genuardi's (pre-Safeway ofc). Once Safeway took over, Wegmans did seem to swoop in, so maybe there was some truth to that.
Same here for Wegmans in the heart of Price Chopper territory, but this has been repudiated given the Tops merger and Wegmans not having room to open in Albany.