Walmart introduces new private label brand

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Walmart to close Health Care Clinics

Post by mbz321 »

ClownLoach wrote: April 30th, 2024, 5:08 pm Only thing I find odd is that this is a very, very rapid "about face" from Walmart. Here is an announcement from just last month about a massive expansion underway for the program. So a hair less than two months from announcing the doubling in size of the program they pull the plug?

https://corporate.walmart.com/news/2023 ... es-in-2024

Makes me wonder if Walmart is doing much worse than expected financially right now and decided to make some urgent changes to cut costs. I wonder if they will also halt the program to expand the "flagship" store program to 1,000+ major remodels this year (and renamed "Store of the Future"). Those are long, painful remodels that have been taking half a year and severely disrupting the affected stores. Not to mention they appear to be the most thorough and expensive remodels Walmart has ever done. I saw lots of little detail work occurring on these remodels, and as we know Walmart has never spent money on little details before.
Well, they are spending money creating another food brand :roll:
https://corporate.walmart.com/news/2024 ... le-for-all
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

mbz321 wrote: April 30th, 2024, 8:11 pm
ClownLoach wrote: April 30th, 2024, 5:08 pm Only thing I find odd is that this is a very, very rapid "about face" from Walmart. Here is an announcement from just last month about a massive expansion underway for the program. So a hair less than two months from announcing the doubling in size of the program they pull the plug?

https://corporate.walmart.com/news/2023 ... es-in-2024

Makes me wonder if Walmart is doing much worse than expected financially right now and decided to make some urgent changes to cut costs. I wonder if they will also halt the program to expand the "flagship" store program to 1,000+ major remodels this year (and renamed "Store of the Future"). Those are long, painful remodels that have been taking half a year and severely disrupting the affected stores. Not to mention they appear to be the most thorough and expensive remodels Walmart has ever done. I saw lots of little detail work occurring on these remodels, and as we know Walmart has never spent money on little details before.
Well, they are spending money creating another food brand :roll:
Looks like a rip of Good And Gather.
mjhale
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by mjhale »

ClownLoach wrote: April 30th, 2024, 11:22 pm
mbz321 wrote: April 30th, 2024, 8:11 pm Well, they are spending money creating another food brand :roll:
I wonder if Sam's Choice brand is on its way out to be replaced with this new bettergoods brand. Wasn't Sam's Choice supposed to be the "premium" selection? When I remember seeing the most Sam's Choice stuff we didn't have Supercenters yet in my area. However, the few Sam's Choice items were "better" like 100% Apple Juice instead of concentrate, soft chew cookies instead of the hard ones that are on the cookie aisle... The younger folks probably have no idea who Sam Walton is so Sam's Choice doesn't resonate as anything special. Who is this Sam person is probably in their mind.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

mjhale wrote: May 1st, 2024, 6:58 pm
ClownLoach wrote: April 30th, 2024, 11:22 pm
mbz321 wrote: April 30th, 2024, 8:11 pm Well, they are spending money creating another food brand :roll:
I wonder if Sam's Choice brand is on its way out to be replaced with this new bettergoods brand. Wasn't Sam's Choice supposed to be the "premium" selection? When I remember seeing the most Sam's Choice stuff we didn't have Supercenters yet in my area. However, the few Sam's Choice items were "better" like 100% Apple Juice instead of concentrate, soft chew cookies instead of the hard ones that are on the cookie aisle... The younger folks probably have no idea who Sam Walton is so Sam's Choice doesn't resonate as anything special. Who is this Sam person is probably in their mind.
I don't see much Sam's Choice anyway, just Great Value. The quality of Great Value (and really any of the Walmart brands) is low.

What Walmart should do is track down some of the vendors that make Members Mark for the Sam's division, as those are premium quality that meets and many times exceeds the brand name. Members Mark is benchmarked against Kirkland and brand name products. None of the current Walmart brand products would meet the current Sam's requirements. The problem is that if Walmart quality was improved then it could take away some reason to shop Sam's Club, however the two shopping environments are very different and many Sam's customers today would not shop a cluttered and chaotic Walmart.

The packaging of this brand I will repeat is alarmingly similar to Good and Gather from Target, to the point of being infringement in my mind. Especially the fonts for the primary lettering. The logo is very different but the rest is too similar and I think they are going to have to change it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I do not expect this "Bettergoods" brand to be successful. Wal Mart customers do not want unique culinary experiences; they want good prices on basic items and reliable quality. Wal Mart should not be wasting shelf space on items that are irrelevant to their customer base. We will see how pricing is on these items but with specialty items like this in small volume I do not expect pricing to be great. They'll fumble around with this the way Safeway has been fumbling around with "Signature Reserve" and Kroger has been fumbling around with "Private Selection." Private Selection does sell a lot of stuff but there are a few key items that make up most of the sales (like ice cream) of that entire line.

The one thing that may work for Wal Mart would be a copy of the Kroger Simple Truth line for clean label. I am surprised they do not try to do that. An actual dedicated product line... not "integrating" into "bettergoods."

The "Marketside" brand has been getting refreshed lately and some items are getting that branding that didn't used to have it in bakery/deli. It is also in dairy and produce but I'm not sure if that brand exists in center store at all.

The Sam's Choice brand items are still present in Wal Mart but they are not marketed at all and also not present in all stores. The line is represented in various categories and also shows up on some seasonal candy typically Belgium chocolates (quality is great on those chocolates when they go 75% off). My view is the line has been shrinking.

Looking at the package design I don't see the copy of Good & Gather, think the "bettergoods" logo looks like something I'd expect to see on cheap toys, and I see packages that do not fit in at Wal Mart and do not "pop out" and draw my attention.

I feel like Wal Mart tried to go for higher priced product in their clothing departments the past year and I see the stuff just sitting and sitting... I know the economy is terrible with inflation and products like clothing seem to be having trouble at a lot of other retailers but I still think they made a mistake on adding higher cost clothing and this is going to be another mistake.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

To do a successful upper-end private label (cough, Presidents' Choice, cough) you've got to have dedicated product teams who have the mandate to create interesting offerings within the realm of the shopper you've got/want to get. It can't be a second-job for a mass private label product team.

You miiiiiight if you were Walmart be able to shoehorn something in to the rural half of the company which emulates Trader Joes (realizing that you're not going to appeal to anyone in these stores EXCEPT for the top 10% of the income mix in these communities who would be all over TJs if there was one within 100 miles). Only WM can figure out if this is worth pursuing (after the haircuts taken to keep it out of the wrong stores). Doubt they want to be that sophisticated about mix.

Just watched a couple episodes of a British reality show with local people trying to get their products into Aldi in the UK. There is a managing director of sourcing who's clearly a key executive...it's quite an interesting show with the people trying to get unique regional stuff in. The MD is quite candid, though, essentially saying that she won't get out of bed for less than 20k units being possible by one of these vendors. I've got to think that the vendor days at WM (Kroger, Meijer, etc) have much the same attitude.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Romr123 wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 2:58 am To do a successful upper-end private label (cough, Presidents' Choice, cough) you've got to have dedicated product teams who have the mandate to create interesting offerings within the realm of the shopper you've got/want to get. It can't be a second-job for a mass private label product team.

You miiiiiight if you were Walmart be able to shoehorn something in to the rural half of the company which emulates Trader Joes (realizing that you're not going to appeal to anyone in these stores EXCEPT for the top 10% of the income mix in these communities who would be all over TJs if there was one within 100 miles). Only WM can figure out if this is worth pursuing (after the haircuts taken to keep it out of the wrong stores). Doubt they want to be that sophisticated about mix.

Just watched a couple episodes of a British reality show with local people trying to get their products into Aldi in the UK. There is a managing director of sourcing who's clearly a key executive...it's quite an interesting show with the people trying to get unique regional stuff in. The MD is quite candid, though, essentially saying that she won't get out of bed for less than 20k units being possible by one of these vendors. I've got to think that the vendor days at WM (Kroger, Meijer, etc) have much the same attitude.
President's Choice however is the same items in all tiers of stores Loblaw runs. They are in Loblaw and Provigo (higher tier), Great Canadian Superstore (mid to lower tier), and their price impact formats (I'm only familiar with Maxi&Cie from Quebec). They are just plain great products with quality that typically is better than brand names or unique ingredients (similar to Trader Joe's). For example they have a killer chocolate chip cookie called The Decadent that is priced lower than say Chips Ahoy. It is jam packed with butter and real chocolate, is absolutely addictive beyond belief, unquestionably the best chocolate chip cookie in the entire aisle, and a fantastic deal.

They also offer the 1980s style generic plain label called "No Name" that you used to see on the shelves with monochromatic packaging and no pictures as the low end cheap store brand. Again it's offered at every store.

The difference is that when you walk into the deluxe Provigo you're going to see an endcap of President's Choice pasta and sauce, but if you walk into the Maxi&Cie it's going to have "No Name" pasta and sauce on the endcap.

President's Choice is exactly the kind of product line Walmart should be pursuing. I don't think this Bettergoods is it.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Walmart introduces new private label brand

Post by wnetmacman »

Items about Bettergoods will be moved here.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Walmart introduces new private label brand

Post by veteran+ »

Futile attempt on this new label by Walmart. It's not their thing.

Walmart was officially selling F&E products in their stores for quite a while when F&E was still in business. For the most part these were high quality products.

They did a horrible job with it................really bad.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Walmart introduces new private label brand

Post by SamSpade »

I loved the Sam's Choice products and yes, now they seem to only be on a few stray bread items (why?), frozen pizza, and chocolate. Much like the Reserve version of the Signature items at Albertsons Co's. (interesting... same private label manufacturer? LOL)

This new brand would appeal to someone like my sister, whose community has a Walmart on the south end of the community and Trader Joe's only one store on the far north end. She's largely shifted her vegetarian diet/shopping to Grocery Outlet after it opened in the community.
Off Topic
In my opinion, as a TJ's lover since I moved to a city with them, their private label goods have fallen even a little before the start of the 2020 'change' and have never fully recovered. I frequently try and am disappointed by things from the freezers, especially. They do luck out with these new online trending foods, like:
Hashbrowns (had these for years, but I guess people cooking with air fryers and not wanting to pay $3 at McD's have learned...)
Dutch Griddle Cakes (again, the McD's crowd)
Crunchy Chili Onion Crunch Chili and onion condiment

... but they've also encountered the press starting to expose the dark side. The one successful unionizing movement in New England, the allegations of entertaining people like you reference in the Brit Aldi discussions above, then canceling negotiations and producing a copy-cat.

I will add that I have a friend that works there and he has way more good days than bad and truly takes pride in his store. That's probably more than you could say for a lot of associates at many of the larger food sellers these days.