Albertsons Twin Falls- remodeled (sort of)

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Albertsons Twin Falls- remodeled (sort of)

Post by storewanderer »

I was surprised to see the Twin Falls Albertsons got a minor remodel in the late Supervalu style (dark colored walls). Really all they did was repaint the walls and not much else. It still has old 1988 flooring and shelves. They did put in new checkstands which I think were probably used but repainted.

The store looks okay but the prices are terrible (they make a California Safeway look cheap) and customer counts were very low compared to the nearby Smiths, Fred Meyer, and WinCo.
kr.abs.swy
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Re: Albertsons Twin Falls- remodeled (sort of)

Post by kr.abs.swy »

As I recall, that store had retained the 80s décor for a long time because they were discussing building a new store nearby. It still had the 80s décor (pre blue-grey) when I stopped in about five years ago. Supervalu certainly wasn't building many new stores as they were fighting to stay solvent, and I'd imagine that building a new store in Twin Falls hasn't been a top priority for years.

Had they done anything to the exterior?

The Smith's down the road had retained an awesome 80s interior for a long time also, although I believe that it has been remodeled. It also had one of the largest in-store bank branches I have ever seen.
Attachments
img230.jpg
img230.jpg (186.24 KiB) Viewed 4246 times
img229ab.jpg
img229ab.jpg (180.08 KiB) Viewed 4246 times
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The exterior in Twin Falls may have gotten a new sign, but that is all. It even still has the old blue 80's style "DELI BAKERY" sign on the side of the building and an old old "UBANK ATM" sign from the early 90's on the other side.

Smiths was remodeled pretty fully; cement floors. But the store is still a dump in my opinion, but a busy dump.

Fred Meyer got a wall repaint and not much more. It doesn't look to be a very high volume Fred Meyer with just 4 self checkouts and 9 regular checkouts (and maybe 2 checkouts in clothing).

I would guess as Supervalu sold stores in Blackfoot, Burley, etc., a new store in Twin Falls got shelved. The existing store without some major investments in price probably won't make it.
Super S

Post by Super S »

It amazes me how low-volume some Albertsons stores are in their own home state. In the past, they paid more attention to the stores closer to Boise. These days, not so much. Supervalu certainly didn't do these stores many favors..
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

I hate to bring up a dead thread, but it's worth noting that Albertsons Cos. did a really nice refresh to the interior of this store, despite it being the only Albertsons for several miles (maybe that's why?).

Worth taking a look at Google Maps (or I can stick some photos in if folks are interested). I haven't seen this decor set before, lots of Albertsons leafs all over the walls.

The Smith's in Twin looks "OK" on Google Maps but the concrete floor could really use a new laquer coat or whatever they do to actually make them shine. I mean, this is ag country, but that floor looks dirty all the time.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

This is the "Heritage" interior. There is a store in WA with it (Renton). Also Pueblo, CO has it. United uses this interior on its Albertsons banner stores too. This looks really good on this store. I didn't care for it in Pueblo (old blue gray).

I haven't seen this interior in CA but I think it was reported here it is somewhere there. This interior curiously is not being used in Las Vegas as multiple Albertsons there have really good Colorful Lifestyle or really cheaply done Modern remodels.

It was nice of them to do a remodel for SpinCo/whatever AFS operator likely ends up with this store.

This Albertsons until the Supervalu cheap remodel had the early 80's interior if you can believe it.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: October 17th, 2022, 9:35 pm I haven't seen this interior in CA but I think it was reported here it is somewhere there. This interior curiously is not being used in Las Vegas as multiple Albertsons there have really good Colorful Lifestyle or really cheaply done Modern remodels.

It was nice of them to do a remodel for SpinCo/whatever AFS operator likely ends up with this store.

This Albertsons until the Supervalu cheap remodel had the early 80's interior if you can believe it.
Lakeside, CA Albertsons has the Heritage interior. It previously had the "Fiesta" interior, shown in this great video:
I think it is more likely to end up with SpinCo along with the rest of Albertsons banner stores. That, or Ridley's (could take the Smith's up the street).
Temple City, CA had the early 80's interior. It closed in 2009.
Talk about a time machine...
I think in your Photobucket stuff, a store in The Dalles, OR had this interior (long gone by now).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Believe it or not that interior from Temple City was actually their late 1980's interior. There were a few builds in Sacramento with that interior that opened in 1988 (some of the very first stores Ralphs remodeled or shut down) and there was a store in Reno that was remodeled into that interior in the late 1980's.

There was also the Frankenstein version of the Temple City interior the store in Auburn, CA was being expanded in the late 80's and it got the wall colors from the Temple City but got the wall letters from the blue gray. The Northridge, CA Store also had that interior, Supervalu put that one out of its misery at some point.
Some photos of Auburn: Ralphs wanted to expand the store but couldn't get it approved, so they never remodeled it, but it was profitable and stayed open until the NorCal Ralphs Division was shut down.
RalphsAuburn.jpg
959bblock.JPG
959produce.JPG
I was thinking Twin Falls had a different interior before (stripes on the wall interior) but I checked back at my photos and yes it did have the same interior as Temple City. Albertsons previously had a second store in Twin Falls, an early 00's Grocery Palace, out by the mall but it went out of business after a year or two. WinCo buried it.

Ralphs also did operate longer one store with the Temple City interior. This one in Dublin closed a little before they closed the NorCal Division but it lasted longer than I would have expected it to.
dublinralplants.jpg
dublinralliq.jpg
dublinraldeli.jpg
dublinralwalldeli.jpg
dublinralthankyou.jpg
dublinralprod.jpg
Last edited by storewanderer on October 17th, 2022, 10:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: October 17th, 2022, 9:59 pm The Northridge, CA Store also had that interior, Supervalu put that one out of its misery at some point.
Nope, it's still open! With Colorful Lifestyle interior: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Alber ... 18.5014467
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: October 17th, 2022, 10:03 pm
storewanderer wrote: October 17th, 2022, 9:59 pm The Northridge, CA Store also had that interior, Supervalu put that one out of its misery at some point.
Nope, it's still open! With Colorful Lifestyle interior: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Alber ... 18.5014467
Interesting and looks really good now. The wall repaint keeping the old 80's wall letters but taking away all the old colors... I guess was necessary. Similar to Twin Falls these stores finally got the full remodels they needed and deserved. Though it looks like center store in Northridge may not have gotten a new floor, some of perimeter did.