Old grocery store in Pocatello, Idaho

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
kr.abs.swy
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Old grocery store in Pocatello, Idaho

Post by kr.abs.swy »

I believe that there was an old grocery store in Pocatello, Idaho, that was in the neighborhood south or east of the former Pocatello Mall (which has now mostly been replaced by a Fred Meyer).

This store was not on Yellowstone Ave. or on Pocatello Creek Road. As I recall, it was closed by the early 1990s (and possibly before).

Does anyone have any idea what I am talking about? Was it a Smith's Food King? An Albertsons? A Stokes? Or something else?

I can't remember much else, but it was likely on one of the east-west streets.

Separately, does anyone know the history of the Ridley's store in South Pocatello? I am wondering about the one on Main Street, not the former Safeway / Farmer Jack / Waremart / WinCo on Pocatello Creek Road.

Thanks in advance!
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Old grocery store in Pocatello, Idaho

Post by SamSpade »

I believe that there was an old grocery store in Pocatello, Idaho, that was in the neighborhood south or east of the former Pocatello Mall (which has now mostly been replaced by a Fred Meyer).

This store was not on Yellowstone Ave. or on Pocatello Creek Road. As I recall, it was closed by the early 1990s (and possibly before).

Does anyone have any idea what I am talking about? Was it a Smith's Food King? An Albertsons? A Stokes? Or something else?
Can't help on that one, but there was a Smith's Food King located almost directly across Yellowstone from Pocatello Mall. So, when Fred Meyer was complete, they shuttered it and moved personnel to the new Fred Meyer. Also, you may be recalling the old Buttrey store which is now Pocatello City Hall, just north of where 5th Avenue turns into Yellowstone Ave.
Separately, does anyone know the history of the Ridley's store in South Pocatello? I am wondering about the one on Main Street, not the former Safeway / Farmer Jack / Waremart / WinCo on Pocatello Creek Road.
This store was built from scratch by an independent with the last name of Purrington. The store was previously operated just up the street as "OK Food Town" and sold to the Purrington's at one point. My family has an indirect connection to the OK Food Town as one of the distant family held the building property, but I don't believe operated the supermarket.
Quaid

Post by Quaid »

Where Fred MeYers is now was a mall called the pocatello mall that contained sear, Lamont’s, and Ernst. Across the street was Albertsons and the former Fred MeYers. One the other street where O’Reilly auto is at was a smiths
Quaid

Post by Quaid »

Does anyone know what grocery store use to be in the Alameda anderson lumber location?
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

kr.abs.swy wrote: March 30th, 2015, 4:25 pm I believe that there was an old grocery store in Pocatello, Idaho, that was in the neighborhood south or east of the former Pocatello Mall (which has now mostly been replaced by a Fred Meyer).

I can't remember much else, but it was likely on one of the east-west streets.

Thanks in advance!
Probably way too late for you to get this answer, but ...

The store you're thinking of was called Frazier's. It was located on the north side of Cedar between Willard and Washington, basically two blocks east from the Pocatello Mall location. Smith's Food King acquired that location and any others. I'm not positive when that happened, but think it was in the last half of the 70s. I don't remember how long that Smith's was kept open at that location, but at some point they moved (close that location and opened a new one) a few blocks west, on the SW corner of Yellowstone and Cedar. I don't remember when that location closed, but want to say in the last 10-15 years.

I'm not positive if it was a single location or if they had a handful of other locations, but they