Elmer's Pancake & Steak House

Super S

Elmer's Pancake & Steak House

Post by Super S »

I have been noticing more and more Elmer's locations in the northwest are closing down. A few years back, they changed their advertising and installed new signs that read "Elmer's Breakfast-Lunch-Dinner" I guess to change their image. Lately I have noticed they are hardly doing any advertising at all. I would hate to see this chain go away, but the last time I ate at one about two years ago, thought their breakfasts were getting rather spendy, and their service was not the best either. Seems like there are issues with the way they are running this chain, a shame because they used to be well-known for great service, and their food was pretty good and reasonably priced.
Alpha8472

Re: Elmer's Pancake & Steak House

Post by Alpha8472 »

The owners and management often forget the basics.

If a business wants to be successful they have to remember that customers want great service, reasonable prices, and good tasting food. They have lost sight of what really matters. It is unfortunate since just a few changes could really improve business.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

This chain used to be publicly traded, but it doesn't look like it is anymore. It looks like they went private in 2005, with an investment group involved. It looks like the number of locations is down to 24.
Super S

Post by Super S »

It looks like Elmer's has been quietly closing a few more locations. I recently noticed that the locations in Portland at Delta Park, and Vancouver, WA at SR500 and Andresen have closed. In Boise, there is talk about a redevelopment of some sorts that will involve the current site of the still-open Elmer's on Capitol Blvd. and no indication if they will be part of the new development. This chain is still hanging on, and seemed to be stable for a while, but it seems unclear what their future holds. The pandemic probably has not helped.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

They have one in Palm Springs.

I was not impressed on many levels and never returned (when I lived there).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

In the mid 90's on a trip in Medford, Elmer's was deemed the "premium" place to go for breakfast. I thought it was pretty bad. Or I should say, not as good as it was made out to be. And my standards were lower then. But I recall a full house and waiting for a table.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

The location in Beaverton, Ore. (which is a franchise) recently changed to breakfast and lunch only with a new logo and is now called "Elmer's Kitchen." Their lottery room is still open until the evening with a limited food and beverage menu.

The Tigard location has some of the lowest prices in the area for breakfasts, but they have not dipped at all into the delivery service world or even really offering takeaway from their locations. It's possible there's been a shift (and lack of things like Rotary / Exchange / etc. meeting in person) that has hurt their business further.

Personally I've had enjoyable dining experiences as things reopened over the past couple years, but I understand how diner food isn't really rebounding the same way some restaurants are. Just look at other formerly regional or national chains that are also in steep decline. . .

In Oregon, both this chain and Shari's have Oregon Lottery as a secondary source of revenue. It's possible that kind of discretionary spending is also on the decline with this year's rise in pricing.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

SamSpade wrote: August 25th, 2022, 4:56 pm The Tigard location has some of the lowest prices in the area for breakfasts, but they have not dipped at all into the delivery service world or even really offering takeaway from their locations. It's possible there's been a shift (and lack of things like Rotary / Exchange / etc. meeting in person) that has hurt their business further.
How would someone know that? I can't say I've seen all websites for restaurants promoting take out, but that doesn't mean that if someone ordered they couldn't get it that way.

Delivery is different and usually noted, but many places don't offer that either and never have.
Super S

Post by Super S »

SamSpade wrote: August 25th, 2022, 4:56 pm The location in Beaverton, Ore. (which is a franchise) recently changed to breakfast and lunch only with a new logo and is now called "Elmer's Kitchen." Their lottery room is still open until the evening with a limited food and beverage menu.

The Tigard location has some of the lowest prices in the area for breakfasts, but they have not dipped at all into the delivery service world or even really offering takeaway from their locations. It's possible there's been a shift (and lack of things like Rotary / Exchange / etc. meeting in person) that has hurt their business further.

Personally I've had enjoyable dining experiences as things reopened over the past couple years, but I understand how diner food isn't really rebounding the same way some restaurants are. Just look at other formerly regional or national chains that are also in steep decline. . .

In Oregon, both this chain and Shari's have Oregon Lottery as a secondary source of revenue. It's possible that kind of discretionary spending is also on the decline with this year's rise in pricing.
Elmer's is better known for breakfast and some locations are not very busy during dinner hours. This change in hours makes some sense.

However, I don't know how that affects lottery revenues. The lottery games tend to be located in lounge (Elmer's) or walled off areas (Shari's). At one point the law (at least in Oregon) permitted smoking in those areas but not in the main restaurant, although I am not sure that is still the case as smoking bans have extended into bars. Denny's at one point had lounge areas in many restaurants, but in recent years many franchisees have done away with these and/or selling alcohol altogether.
There is one newer Elmer's location near the Woodburn outlet mall that I have been to a few times. The outside doesn't follow the typical Elmer's appearance but is more typical inside. I never noticed if that one has a lounge area or not.
Super S

Post by Super S »

https://boisedev.com/news/2023/06/20/elmers-boise-open/

It looks like the developer backed out and the Elmer's in Boise isn't going anywhere. In fact, according to the article, they plan to renovate the location. I am curious to what extent the renovation will entail. It is worth noting though that quite a few restaurants have come and gone in the immediate area on Capitol Blvd., and Elmer's is the one that has been in that area the longest.