Emptying malls in Portland, OR

SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Emptying malls in Portland, OR

Post by SamSpade »

The Sunday Oregonian highlighted Lloyd Center discussions this week. They were able to interview the former manager that moved to Alaska who was there during the last renovation.

The continued message from former merchants and former mall management is that shoplifting has become too much of an issue at this center for many tenants to want to be there. Previous reporting was printed in Willamette Week about Marshalls departure.

With Macy's closed, the ingress and egress to the center will be somewhat impacted from one side of the center. Thankfully the 2017 renovation did add the grand staircase entrance, which allows for streetside entry rather than walking through a potentially intimidating parking structure.

Unfortunately, statewide restrictions will keep the indoor ice rink and cinemas closed.

At the close of the 2020 retail year (January 2021), GAP and Old Navy are also in the process of closing.
https://www.oregonlive.com/business/202 ... -down.html
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

SamSpade wrote: January 24th, 2021, 3:03 pm
The continued message from former merchants and former mall management is that shoplifting has become too much of an issue at this center for many tenants to want to be there. Previous reporting was printed in Willamette Week about Marshalls departure.

With Macy's closed, the ingress and egress to the center will be somewhat impacted from one side of the center. Thankfully the 2017 renovation did add the grand staircase entrance, which allows for streetside entry rather than walking through a potentially intimidating parking structure.

At the close of the 2020 retail year (January 2021), GAP and Old Navy are also in the process of closing.
Macy's couldn't get out of there fast enough- initial closure date was 1/18/21 but they closed for good on 12/26/20.

Looking at the directory I am surprised by the number of national chains remaining in the mall:
I'll omit the various cell phone brands as I'm not clear if those are dealers or corporate sites.
https://www.lloydcenter.com/directory/
Barnes & Noble
Bath and Body Works
Champs
Claires
Finish Line
Foot Locker
Forever 21
Game Stop
Hot Topic
H&M
Journeys
Lids
LOFT
Ross
See's
Spencer
Suncoast
Sunglass Hut
Torrid
Ulta
Vans
Zumiez

Theoretically Barnes & Noble, Ulta, and Ross could be considered anchors...

This is quite unusual as in a typical mall where the department stores have left, the vast majority of the above tenants usually leave before the department stores. It seems like ones like Foot Locker and See's are last to go in a dead mall. The fact that so many of the above have kept their stores open at this mall is unusual and I have to assume these stores must be moving merchandise in order to justify keeping them open.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

SamSpade wrote: January 24th, 2021, 3:03 pm The Sunday Oregonian highlighted Lloyd Center discussions this week. They were able to interview the former manager that moved to Alaska who was there during the last renovation.

Unfortunately, statewide restrictions will keep the indoor ice rink and cinemas closed.

I wouldn't be too worried about ingress egress to the mall through Macy's. There isn't.much.of a reason to go into the mall. I've been there recently. It's absolutely dead inside. It really feels unsafe inside the mall and you see a lot of homeless wondering around. The grand staircase was a nice addition. Problem is that it fronts Holladay Park that is known for drug dealing and has had repeated shootings. Until they address the crime issues, little will change.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

storewanderer wrote: January 24th, 2021, 5:15 pm
SamSpade wrote: January 24th, 2021, 3:03 pm

Macy's couldn't get out of there fast enough- initial closure date was 1/18/21 but they closed for good on 12/26/20.

Looking at the directory I am surprised by the number of national chains remaining in the mall:
I'll omit the various cell phone brands as I'm not clear if those are dealers or corporate sites.
https://www.lloydcenter.com/directory/
Barnes & Noble
Bath and Body Works
Champs
Claires
Finish Line
Foot Locker
Forever 21
Game Stop
Hot Topic
H&M
Journeys
Lids
LOFT
Ross
See's
Spencer
Suncoast
Sunglass Hut
Torrid
Ulta
Vans
Zumiez

Theoretically Barnes & Noble, Ulta, and Ross could be considered anchors...

This is quite unusual as in a typical mall where the department stores have left, the vast majority of the above tenants usually leave before the department stores. It seems like ones like Foot Locker and See's are last to go in a dead mall. The fact that so many of the above have kept their stores open at this mall is unusual and I have to assume these stores must be moving merchandise in order to justify keeping them open.
With Macys gone, many of these stores will leave. There is no traffic inside the mall. I've been there recently on a Saturday afternoon. Ross was doing OK and there was traffic to the going out of business sales but this mall is going to be gone by this summer.

It's the perfect spot for a baseball stadium if Portland gets a team. I would be disappointed if the site turns a bunch.of five story apartment buildings. I do think retail could still work at Lloyd Center but it needs to reflect what the market wants today. Too much of Lloyd Center reflects retail of the 1990s. Home Depot, Costco, Hobby Lobby, At Home, Floor and Decor, a food hall with high quality local places, space for a Farmer's Market, etc... could form the start.of a retail resurgence post COVID. But I just don't think the team at Cypress can pull it off. So far they haven't shown any indication they understand the market.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Lloyd Center has a lot of history, but it's no longer a desirable place to shop. When multiple anchors leave, the small stores follow. And when it has a questionable reputation in a not so great part of town, new stores aren't going to be opening. And when we have a pandemic affecting everyday life, that restricts what remaining stores can actually operate.

Lloyd Center is doomed.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Vancouver Mall appears to be doing things that Lloyd Center has not... New tenants for 2021 alongside a reopened cinema and Round 1 coming soon.
https://www.columbian.com/news/2021/feb ... -redesign/ Longer article but good context around malls nationwide, not just Van Mall.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Super S wrote: January 24th, 2021, 8:07 pm Lloyd Center has a lot of history, but it's no longer a desirable place to shop. When multiple anchors leave, the small stores follow. And when it has a questionable reputation in a not so great part of town, new stores aren't going to be opening. And when we have a pandemic affecting everyday life, that restricts what remaining stores can actually operate.

Lloyd Center is doomed.
Lloyd Center has a large ugly exterior Doubletree Hotel next to it. Was looking at it as the rate was quite low and I have stayed there in the past and the room was fine. The hotel appears to be doing horribly at this time based on reviews I read. Most amenities like restaurant are closed. Valet parking is not being offered. The lobby is so understaffed it is locked at all times and someone has to unlock the door for you to get inside even the main entrance even in the daytime.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

storewanderer wrote: February 26th, 2021, 12:28 am Lloyd Center has a large ugly exterior Doubletree Hotel next to it. Was looking at it as the rate was quite low and I have stayed there in the past and the room was fine. The hotel appears to be doing horribly at this time based on reviews I read. Most amenities like restaurant are closed. Valet parking is not being offered. The lobby is so understaffed it is locked at all times and someone has to unlock the door for you to get inside even the main entrance even in the daytime.
Off Topic
Yowza. That's pretty awful to learn.
It has previously been a well kept place but I'm sure with no events of their own or at the convention center, it's probably been a challenge.

Downtown, it appears the Hilton, its sister hotel the Duniway and some other downtown hotels are still closed. As far as I know, the newly opened convention center Hyatt is still closed. I read a report during the widespread power outages that the Hotel Eastlund reopened.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

SamSpade wrote: February 26th, 2021, 11:02 am
storewanderer wrote: February 26th, 2021, 12:28 am Lloyd Center has a large ugly exterior Doubletree Hotel next to it. Was looking at it as the rate was quite low and I have stayed there in the past and the room was fine. The hotel appears to be doing horribly at this time based on reviews I read. Most amenities like restaurant are closed. Valet parking is not being offered. The lobby is so understaffed it is locked at all times and someone has to unlock the door for you to get inside even the main entrance even in the daytime.
Off Topic
Yowza. That's pretty awful to learn.
It has previously been a well kept place but I'm sure with no events of their own or at the convention center, it's probably been a challenge.

Downtown, it appears the Hilton, its sister hotel the Duniway and some other downtown hotels are still closed. As far as I know, the newly opened convention center Hyatt is still closed. I read a report during the widespread power outages that the Hotel Eastlund reopened.
Yeah I saw Hyatt was closed temporarily- just built in 2019- was supposed to reopen 3/1 but not sure that is happening.

Too bad that Doubletree at Lloyd wasn't directly connected to the mall. Also it would have been nice if the transit was directly connected. The climate in Portland would have seemed to lend itself to a self contained set up at Lloyd well, similar to how Mall of America in MN is set up. Well, who knows what the ultimate redeveloped Lloyd area will look like, maybe it will connect all of the features better.