Haggen to "close or sell" some stores- 5 AZ, 16 CA, 1 WA, 5 OR

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Haggen to "close or sell" some stores- 5 AZ, 16 CA, 1 WA, 5 OR

Post by storewanderer »

They seem to have a list of stores. Not many surprises but one surprise is none in Las Vegas.

Their release also vaguely says they may close or sell more stores. What does that kind of statement do for morale?
Super S

Re: Haggen to "close or sell" some stores- 5 AZ, 16 CA, 1 WA, 5 OR

Post by Super S »

The Tualatin-Sherwood Rd. store appears to be on that list. That one was built as a Haggen...not a good sign if that one is closing as it would leave only one Haggen-built store in the Portland area.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

San Diego Union Tribune says they are closing 27 stores...and are going to sell an undisclosed number of additional stores. http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/new ... -closures/
All 6 in San Diego are listed
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-h ... story.html

"We may see the whole chain get sold," Prevor said. "They don't have the infrastructure or capital to support these stores. You may see a bigger player stepping in."

That's what I expect. Stater Bros and Gelsons for California. The locations they are closing no unionized grocer wanted.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/hagg ... -time.html
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

They are closing all 3 of the former Safeway stores that they bought in Arizona. These were 3 very week Safeways.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I think the stores closing in Irvine and Santa Clarita are both former Pavilions. Also I believe Haggen South Opco's Headquarters are in Irvine, and yet the store IN Irvine is closing??? Well, so much for doing well in upscale areas. I don't think anyone expected them to close stores this quick though. That poor Cinderella store in Thousand Oaks/Newbury Park on Newbury (former Lucky, divested to Unified, then closed by some independent(s?), then taken by Vons) was one of the last stores Haggen converted in June and they have already given up on it? After... less than 45 days of operations?

I don't know what they are doing. For instance, closing 3 of the 5 stores in Southern Oregon. Remaining is a 2004 or so build Albertsons in Grants Pass and a 1960's (never got a lifestyle remodel) Safeway in Ashland. And in Arizona what is even the point, one store in Tucson to remain open?

Also the one closing in Tualatin is an original Haggen. That was the first Haggen I ever went into, back in 2002 or so.

I wonder what Haggen's next chapter will be...

Some of the comments on the closure articles are pretty hilarious:

"They opened a Haggen's to replace a albertsons in my nieghborhood near Frank Loyd Wright. I wish they would close that one. It is a disgrace, High Prices and no selection. They have run out of milk twice. We shopped there when it was an Albertsons for 17 years. NO more."

"I never shopped here but was confused by their billboards which appeared to show organics next to a loaf of wonder bread. Call me crazy, but if I'm going to make the effort to purchase organics, I'm not going to be buying wonder bread or other major brand foods."

"I want haggen to leave san diego. Unfortunately. they seem to be keepin the mira mesa store."

"The store on Silverbell needs to be closed,and bring back our Neighborhood Albertsons,this store is a joke and when I drive by ..The parking lot is damn near EMPTY!! The few times that I did go into the store I literally walked in and walked out..They don't keep nothing in stock..They should have never taken out Albertsons and put this junk of a store..So if they keep it..it's only a matter n of time till they shut it down because they get no business!!"

"Haggens really does not suit demographics of west side. The Albertsons served total clientele. Haggens serves gluten-free, high-end food that has resulted in empty aisles and more lay-offs. Most recently another 60. Customer services have been all but eliminated and employee morale is very low. Hard to see these people trying to do their jobs while looking over their shoulders in fear."
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

I would not be surprised if we see more closures here in Washington. I have heard that the Lake Forest Park store is doing well. One of the few of the newly acquired stores. But it is in a fairly well off area. But I can see most of the South King County stores going to Walmart Neighborhood Markets or Saars! In some Northwest communities like Port Angeles, I see opportunities for some Fred Meyer Marketplace stores. Maybe the Wenatchee Haggen might be suited to be a QFC? But I am wondering out loud if Rosauers out of Spokane could take over many of these stores? They have conventional stores, a natural market and a discount banner. They operate in urban, suburban and rural areas. So I think they may know how to hold down costs? They have a store in Libby, MT which is not a upscale area. So could they be a candidate?
Super S

Post by Super S »

I have to wonder again about the Tualatin store. Perhaps they had an idea that closing this one would drive traffic to one of the nearby converted Albertsons stores? Closing a store that they designed and built from the ground up in favor of a converted Albertsons almost seems like they are attempting to move away from their upscale image. But for Haggen to almost completely disappear from the Portland market, then reappear by buying selected Albertsons/Safeway locations, then start closing again? They are simply alienating people in the Portland market for a second time.

I also find it interesting that the Spanaway store, a converted Safeway, is closing. That isn't exactly an upscale area, but I went into that store not long after the conversion and overall it at least looked ok thanks to previously being a Lifestyle store.

One statement from the articles I have read bugs me though: "Additional stores will be sold or closed in the future,"as part of Haggen’s right-sizing strategy, the company said." In other words, EVERY store could potentially be next on the chopping block.

Haggen is in big, big trouble...
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

Does this really surprise anyone? They went from a small 18 store or so chain (was larger but they already had issues with some of their stores and had to close a bunch a few years ago) to one with over 150 stores in a completely unfamiliar area. How in their right mind did they expect to survive with an enormous amount of debt and not having supplier connections that would have made them the least bit competitive?

Some people even think this was all a 'set up', which I kind of believe too given how comical this whole deal was. Would it be possible from a legal perspective for Safeway/Albertsons to return to the now closing stores?
uclabruin98

Post by uclabruin98 »

Now today the same article is in the San Gabriel Valley Tribune.

http://www.sgvtribune.com/business/2015 ... ta-clarita