Trader Joe's Store in California Unionized

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
Alpha8472

Trader Joe's Store in California Unionized

Post by Alpha8472 »

The first California store of the chain to unionize is in Oakland, California.

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/bay ... 911232.php
Last edited by Alpha8472 on April 22nd, 2023, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Trader Joe's Store To Unionized

Post by veteran+ »

Fantastic!

:D
storewanderer

Re: Trader Joe's Store in California Unionized

Post by storewanderer »

What union is representing them?
Paywall on article that seems to have that info.

Article also says "one reason: rats." Not sure what that means, but think I know.

This I think is a very small former 50's or 60's Lucky right by the Berkeley/Oakland border. It had no bakery/deli and was a poor store as Albertsons but I was a little surprised it closed; I think it may have been a real estate play by the Albertsons LLC. If UFCW got it back, that helps them recover a store previously lost, and employing a lot more people than it employed as Lucky.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

This was originally Lucky and converted to Albertsons in 1999. Albertsons was doing badly here around 2005 and closed this store. There is a recently closed Pharmaca next door.

This Trader Joe's is very busy and much larger than most normal Trader Joe's of that era.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Alpha8472 wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 6:38 pm This was originally Lucky and converted to Albertsons in 1999. Albertsons was doing badly here around 2005 and closed this store. There is a recently closed Pharmaca next door.

This Trader Joe's is very busy and much larger than most normal Trader Joe's of that era.
Wow, that is a larger TJ!

I wonder what the inside looks like and what their variety is like?
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

It has a taller than normal ceiling, and it is very spacious. It carries the usual Trader Joe's variety, but more of each item due to all the extra space.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Alpha8472 wrote: April 23rd, 2023, 1:03 pm It has a taller than normal ceiling, and it is very spacious. It carries the usual Trader Joe's variety, but more of each item due to all the extra space.
Okay, so NO extra variety................really a missed opportunity. Stubborn Europeans :lol:
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: April 23rd, 2023, 1:58 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: April 23rd, 2023, 1:03 pm It has a taller than normal ceiling, and it is very spacious. It carries the usual Trader Joe's variety, but more of each item due to all the extra space.
Okay, so NO extra variety................really a missed opportunity. Stubborn Europeans :lol:
Given their distribution set up, they'd need to slot additional variety into multiple stores in order to make it work.

There are items they sell at some stores but not at others and I am not sure why. It isn't a size issue (the larger store is the one missing the items). It may be a traffic issue or a competition issue (the larger store has less competition). Or it may be an oversight due to their lack of technology.