Costco cracking down on card sharing

veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Costco cracking down on card sharing

Post by veteran+ »

babs wrote: June 24th, 2023, 1:17 pm Personally, I'd be happy if they would enforce the state law against dogs in grocery.stores. I brought this up to a manager once and he says they can't enforce it. That's completely false. They can ask what service the dog is performing. When it's in your backpack, it's not a service animal. A cat is not your service animal. Just yesterday I saw a sample lady feeding a dog in a backpack. Truly disgusting. Did she wash her hands? No.
Amazing, isn't it?

Things may have changed but in California the retailers (or anywhere food is) are encouraged to ask one question: Is that a "service animal"? (in a polite way of course and do not ask for proof) Most folks will say yes and corporate instructs you to say okay and that's it. If your business does not have recording cameras it gets tricky.

You must attempt to discern the animal's status to avoid a fine. If the customers are not truthful then THEY will get fined not your business.

Of course this does not matter because there are no auditors anymore to check. Businesses don't ask anymore and people are bringing their animals to food businesses of all kinds.

I have seen barking, dog fights, dog bites, urination, trying to eat food in the food place and defecation.

Quite amazing!
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

veteran+ wrote: June 24th, 2023, 1:28 pm
babs wrote: June 24th, 2023, 1:17 pm Personally, I'd be happy if they would enforce the state law against dogs in grocery.stores. I brought this up to a manager once and he says they can't enforce it. That's completely false. They can ask what service the dog is performing. When it's in your backpack, it's not a service animal. A cat is not your service animal. Just yesterday I saw a sample lady feeding a dog in a backpack. Truly disgusting. Did she wash her hands? No.
Amazing, isn't it?

Things may have changed but in California the retailers (or anywhere food is) are encouraged to ask one question: Is that a "service animal"? (in a polite way of course and do not ask for proof) Most folks will say yes and corporate instructs you to say okay and that's it. If your business does not have recording cameras it gets tricky.

You must attempt to discern the animal's status to avoid a fine. If the customers are not truthful then THEY will get fined not your business.

Of course this does not matter because there are no auditors anymore to check. Businesses don't ask anymore and people are bringing their animals to food businesses of all kinds.

I have seen barking, dog fights, dog bites, urination, trying to eat food in the food place and defecation.

Quite amazing!
Costco was cracking down on animals prior to COVID, and had ordered large signage reminding customers "Animals Not Allowed in Food Stores" which were both on the wall and on free-standing signs in the doorway. They were actively questioning within the guidelines and reminding customers that emotional support animals are not approved under the ADA. Examples like the backpack dog which obviously isn't a service animal were being called out as such. For some reason Costco had the guts to stand up to this abuse but I suspect that was lost with the mask wars during COVID.

California needs to give businesses the ability to operate without ambiguity on health issues like this. There are many people, including myself, who are allergic to dogs, and thus we also should be accommodated under the ADA for our disability. I deserve the right to shop without experiencing respiratory distress from the presence of a dog that isn't even permitted under the health code. If the store enforces the law they are also thus accommodating my disability by reducing the chances I will be exposed to a dog and become ill. It's the intentional ambiguity that creates the conflicts.

And no, my service dog doesn't have a membership card, and I'm not sharing my card with him either...
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Amazing, isn't it?

Quite amazing!
As the weather warms up this is an exploding issue every year.

I have seen all of the above as well.

However if the Health Inspector happens to be inside the business when the dog is there, then there can be a fine. Multiple businesses have gotten violations in my area and little more happens than some extra "NO PETS ALLOWED" signs on the front doors and that seems to be enough for the health inspector. It is cheaper to pay the fine to the health department than deal with a lawsuit threat because you questioned someone about their "service animal" and they now claim employee/management said things that they didn't say and there is no recording on the sales floor of interactions.

I have also experienced customers threatening a lawsuit and heard stories of customers being violent toward store employees/management for asking what function/service the animal being brought into the store performs. Most companies do not go there anymore.

In the case of Wal Mart it is a function of the greeter to ascertain if the animal bring brought into the store is a service animal or not. I have seen people kicked out of Wal Mart for trying to bring animals into the store.

One of my first experiences 20 years ago questioning someone about a service dog, and the person "offered to show me the papers" and I said okay (it was a different time 20 years ago), as this was happening the dog decided to pee on the floor there during that interaction. I've dealt with humans vomiting inside a store or just outside a store entrance too so I understand things do happen but in an effort to mitigate such risks my opinion is animals should not be allowed in stores, even inside the pet stores the only place they should be allowed is either the vet area or the grooming area, nowhere else.

I was inside some fast food within the past couple weeks and while I was inside a customer seated at a booth had their dog inside (no indication of service animal) on the floor under the table, and the employees even came out and brought the dog food/water. I am forgetting where this was. I was really disgusted.

Today in Sprouts I watched a customer who had a small cart (one of those Euro style carts) and I thought the customer was using reusable bags, would have been the only one in the store doing that, and had the bags in the bottom of the cart, which would be the right place for them (well, maybe not based on what I am about to say). But actually what was in the bottom of the cart was a small dog half asleep being wheeled around the store. Not on a blanket, not on anything. Literally directly on the bottom part of the cart. And again I watched multiple employees pet the dog and nobody said a word about if it was a service animal (again nothing on the dog to indicate this). This is not the first time I've seen dogs in this store but the other time I saw a dog it was in the child seat and had a blanket between it and the surface of the cart. The employees were friendly to the dog that time too.

I also don't think "dog friendly" stores like Home Depot do any favors to keeping customers in line regarding this. I get places like Petco or Petsmart allowing dogs inside... they are pet stores... so okay fine. But when other retailers allow it, customers just get to thinking why not everywhere?

More and more people are going everywhere with their pets. The number of pets on airplanes has increased exponentially in the past few years. More hotel chains are "pet friendly" than ever. The entire Hilton brand portfolio in the US is now "pet friendly" - before many properties were NO PETS but not anymore thanks to a recent initiative by Hilton Corporate to cater to more pet owners (another bullet shot at the business traveler by Hilton). It is getting harder and harder to avoid pets when traveling. The worst thing is a hotel room that obviously recently had a pet incident and they have gone and tried to clean up the carpet and cover up the odor but not done a real good job.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Corporate policies on pets vary from store to store. Walmart for example states that only the door greeter or member of management can ask if a pet is a service animal. They can also ask what the service animal is trained to do. Emotional support animals are not allowed. No other employees may ask if the animal is a service animal.

This way the health department cannot say the store is not doing their job. The door greeter must ask every pet owner.

Walmart is very strict with regards to animals in the store. If a bird flies into the store, Walmart has a professional bird removal service. A bird removal employee comes to the store with a 40 foot pole with a net and runs around trying to catch the birds. They also have gigantic netting that they can hang around the store from hooks on the ceiling in case they need to catch bats or other flying animals.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

ClownLoach wrote: June 24th, 2023, 3:27 pm
Amazing, isn't it?

Quite amazing!
Costco was cracking down on animals prior to COVID, and had ordered large signage reminding customers "Animals Not Allowed in Food Stores" which were both on the wall and on free-standing signs in the doorway. They were actively questioning within the guidelines and reminding customers that emotional support animals are not approved under the ADA. Examples like the backpack dog which obviously isn't a service animal were being called out as such. For some reason Costco had the guts to stand up to this abuse but I suspect that was lost with the mask wars during COVID.

California needs to give businesses the ability to operate without ambiguity on health issues like this. There are many people, including myself, who are allergic to dogs, and thus we also should be accommodated under the ADA for our disability. I deserve the right to shop without experiencing respiratory distress from the presence of a dog that isn't even permitted under the health code. If the store enforces the law they are also thus accommodating my disability by reducing the chances I will be exposed to a dog and become ill. It's the intentional ambiguity that creates the conflicts.

And no, my service dog doesn't have a membership card, and I'm not sharing my card with him either...
Amen brother!!!

And I love dogs (well trained of course).

I wonder what awful "thing" is gonna have to happen to stop this abuse of animals commingling with food?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: June 25th, 2023, 9:15 am
Amen brother!!!

And I love dogs (well trained of course).

I wonder what awful "thing" is gonna have to happen to stop this abuse of animals commingling with food?
Nothing is going to happen to stop this abuse. The number of people with pets has been rising throughout the COVID period. The attitude of people in general to only care about themselves and what is easier for themselves without regard for others is rising. And it is easier to take the dog out with you than either not go out for as long as you want to, or keep the dog in the apartment/house for 6 hours where it may pee/tear up furniture/etc. As more and more people with dogs are in apartments it isn't as simple as going out and leaving the dog in the backyard during the fall/spring periods with moderate weather in the daytime anymore since the apartment usually has no backyard to do that.

Not saying it is right but I do not see this trend changing.

Health departments do have the ability to revoke business's license over allowing dogs inside but I just don't think they are going to actually do it. Plus even if they do the number of people with these "service animals" will continue. And many who just want to bring their animal in lie and say it is a service animal anyway as they know nothing will happen to them.

Where this gets really bad is in a professional/office environment where someone wants to bring an emotional support animal or service animal to work every day. The noise/behavior is a distraction throughout the facility in a cubical farm and taking the dog in/out every hour is a bit of a productivity issue. But you can't do a thing about it.
bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

babs wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 7:47 am
mjhale wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 6:54 am How does Costco handle membership cards for couples/partners/spouses? Do you get one card that is meant to be shared between the two people or does each person get a card with their own picture on it? And along these lines, is the Costco membership supposed to be for the person, couples/partners/spouses or is it for the whole household? I am single so when I was a Costco member I never thought about any of this. Now with the membership cards being scanned at self-checkout, perhaps what Costco needs to do is require a membership card from everyone who wants to use self-checkout. If this means issuing membership cards to everyone in a household over x years old, if that is how the membership operates, or to the adult couple/partners/spouses, then so be it. Then scan everyone's card, no exceptions as ClownLoach said. That is the only way you can fairly uphold the rule of needing a membership to purchase. But here's the thing, if shopping in the store requires a membership why is Costco even letting people in the door who don't have a membership? Seems to me that all of the scanning of cards or whatever method is used to determine membership needs to be at the front door. Not after someone has already made their way through the store to pick up what they wanted to buy. Like storewanderer said, this customer has already endured traffic coming into the parking lot, pandemonium in the lot and a potentially overcrowded store. Now you are going to further anger them by saying sorry you can't buy this stuff because you aren't a member, even when that is the rule? Any chance that customer might have apologized, asked for forgiveness and maybe purchased a membership is going to diminish quickly. American consumers do not like barriers to purchase and they love to get their exceptions for everything because people think they are special. I'm talking price overrides, dubious sale price adjustments, returns for any reason. Any time you have a crackdown you run the risk of having customer loss. The question is whether the product and experience is desirable enough at Costco to keep people shopping even in the midst of a membership crackdown. I too have noticed the upswing in traffic at Sam's Club. If Walmart can develop a system to verify membership but have less friction in the process they may be able to keep up the momentum they seem to have gained in recent years.
Each account can get up to two cards. One for each spouse. The members know the rules as they have to sign the membership agreement. Anyone who doesn't know the rules is either dishonest or ignorant.

Look at Costco's financial reports, with the 15% markup on products, selling merch is essentially a breakeven proposition. They make their profits off the membership fees. I don't blame them one bit for enforcing their rules. They're not doing memberships for as a gimmick, it's core to their financial model.

Been a Costco member for at least 20 years. I know the limitations of Costco but it's still the best value and best run retailer out there.
I was going to add that it can be any household member up to 18... after my dad passed, my mom wound up adding me on to her membership. We each have our own Sam's membership, and I take care of BJ's, since we do order a few things from them that Costco / Sam's do not carry.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

storewanderer wrote: June 25th, 2023, 10:05 am
Nothing is going to happen to stop this abuse. The number of people with pets has been rising throughout the COVID period. The attitude of people in general to only care about themselves and what is easier for themselves without regard for others is rising.
This hits right on the nose. Just today I had a member come through with a dog sticking out of a reusable grocery bag ( :mrgreen: ), sitting in the upper portion of the cart, with some kind of little-ish dog sticking out of it. I generally don't bother to say anything as nobody really seems to care to enforce the policy, but a supervisor happened to came over and saw and told the member that the dog can't be in the cart. At that point, I added in. 'and animals aren't allowed in the store unless its a service animal', and the response by the member was basically a yes I'm aware, but I don't care (clearly not a service animal). And that was the end of that. Management doesn't want to be bothered with 'petty issues'. I guess it will take someone being bitten by someone else's non-service dog or some other incident of the sort for anyone to maybe care.
'
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

mbz321 wrote: June 26th, 2023, 7:59 pm

This hits right on the nose. Just today I had a member come through with a dog sticking out of a reusable grocery bag ( :mrgreen: ), sitting in the upper portion of the cart, with some kind of little-ish dog sticking out of it. I generally don't bother to say anything as nobody really seems to care to enforce the policy, but a supervisor happened to came over and saw and told the member that the dog can't be in the cart. At that point, I added in. 'and animals aren't allowed in the store unless its a service animal', and the response by the member was basically a yes I'm aware, but I don't care (clearly not a service animal). And that was the end of that. Management doesn't want to be bothered with 'petty issues'. I guess it will take someone being bitten by someone else's non-service dog or some other incident of the sort for anyone to maybe care.
'
This is the general customer attitude. They know what the rules are, they do not care, you can say whatever to them and they still won't care. Some with service animals literally go around looking for a fight and looking for a lawsuit they can easily get a settlement for when an employee hassles them. Short of them being thrown out of the store (and they'll just come back tomorrow and do the same thing) the attitude is changing. I am expecting soon these health rules that prohibit dogs will be relaxed and it will be changed to rules to the effect of dogs are not allowed on the counters or on any other surface where raw food may be (which should extend to the shopping carts since people put raw produce on the carts).

I think a dog biting lawsuit would end up dog owner vs. injured customer. I think the store would easily disclaim responsibility saying they had no idea the dog was in the store and find proof of the dog being somehow hidden/concealed or never coming within clear view of an employee.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I spent a lot of time earlier reading Reddit Costco threads. Way too much time. But it was quite horrifying to read those threads. There is clearly a major problem here.

My outlook on Costco is very sour after reading these forums. I cannot believe what I am reading on Reddit and the hostile attitude that is being displayed toward customers. Whatever upper management in Costco is pushing these policies down is going to tank their company.

I think Costco needs to clarify a few things to its employees because based on the amount of comments, thousands, on Reddit, This current crusade the company is on to patrol "membership sharing" is going to cost them a lot of business in the coming year and a half.

I thought the management of Costco was smarter than this. This is like bad local Wal Mart loss prevention level of dumb in terms of how customers are being treated. I am almost curious if Wal Mart did a clean out of clueless loss prevention staff at local levels and somehow a group of them got jobs high up in Costco.

1. Issue: I keep seeing posts of couples shopping and both being demanded to show a membership card.
(Previous??) Costco policy: A member was allowed to enter the store with up to 2 "guests."
My response: If you can bring 2 guests, they shouldn't be asking couples to both produce a card. Period.

2. Issue: I read that if you miss scanning an item on self checkout, Costco detains you at the exit and fills out paperwork about the incident noting your name, membership number, item, value, etc.
Costco policy: Is it really a policy to essentially "write up" a customer? Take the item or charge them for it, then let the customer leave... perhaps revoke the customer's right to use self checkout in the future (figure out how to do this without detaining the customer... look back at the cameras after the customer leaves and pull the transaction from the journal)
My response: Remove the self checkouts now.

3. Issue: Membership cards do not have current photos or photos at all. Many customers report being accused of using someone else's card because the photo on the Costco card no longer looks like the customer or the photo quality is so poor...
Costco policy: All membership cards should have a current photo.
My response: This policy clearly isn't followed. Costco needs to upgrade its photo taking equipment to have a quality full color photo equivalent to a DMV, and then start to re-issue cards every 3 years, 4 years, whatever. Customers often change appearances due to hair style changes, hair color changes, weight gains/losses, aging, etc.

4. Issue: Customers are being denied service by the front end until they go to membership and get their photo updated if their photo does not look like them.
My response: Not all customers have 20-30 minutes to screw around at membership to get a new photo/card. This should be checked by the door greeter, not the front end. If someone does not have a satisfactory photo, they should be denied entry and sent to membership. At this point if the customer doesn't have time they can just leave. Or they can shop while they are waiting for membership to print their new card. They probably need to do about 5x staffing and buy new photo/card making equipment at every card before enforcing this policy.