Tribal owned gas stations discontinuing branded fuel

Gas stations & convenience stores (AM/PM, 7-Eleven, etc.)
Super S

Re: Tribal owned gas stations discontinuing branded fuel

Post by Super S »

mjhale wrote: June 26th, 2023, 6:44 am Do Love's, Pilot and Flying J own their own fuel distribution services? Like you, those stores plus Sheetz are the only ones I have seen that have their own tankers. Sheetz has its own fuel distribution operation - CLI Transport is what they operate under. Having everything in house gives them better control over product distribution. I'm not sure how many people know that Sheetz owns its own fuel distribution operation. But it does boost my confidence in Sheetz having a better chance at getting a good fuel product into their system. For everyone else, in the DC area, I see mostly Torrissi and Kenan Advantage trucks at most every other gas station.
Locally, Wilcox & Flegel supplies many stations both branded and unbranded. They also operate a number of convenience stores and is in the process of launching a new convenience store brand called Flyways. However, I do not see them supplying the Fred Meyer or Safeway stations, I see the Kenan Advantage trucks there.

Not sure who ARCO uses.
storewanderer wrote: June 24th, 2023, 11:19 pm
jamcool wrote: June 24th, 2023, 9:00 pm Top Tier fuel supposedly has more detergent to keep fuel injectors from clogging. You can probably do the same thing by using a fuel system cleaner like Techron or Lucas Oil monthly.
I buy a variety of gas of various brands/unbranded. When brands like Arco call themself "Top Tier" (this is not a brand with a reputation for quality gas...), but store gas like Safeway/Kroger does not do the "Top Tier" thing yet is putting their name on the gas, I have to assume those companies putting their name on the fuel are not going to be knowingly or purposely selling bad gas. Their entire brand/reputation is on the line if they do.

When I see reports of bad gas occurring, the most common thing is when a truck dumps Diesel into an unleaded tank. This can happen anywhere that sells both fuel types. Once in a while there will be what is truly a bad batch of gas and I have seen that happen at various brands but it is usually caught VERY quickly (within a matter of minutes of the fuel delivery as impacted customers immediately report the problem).

Another issue maybe not so much in CA but in some places is leaky tanks. In heavily rainy climates there is the risk the lots do not properly drain at poorly maintained stations and water ends up in the tanks.

Another issue at some stations is if you buy gas when the fuel tanks are nearly empty, it is more likely for dirt/debris that is in the bottom of the fuel tank to come up (filter should catch it, if it is replaced...). If a pump is going abnormally slow I find it to be a bad sign and will leave a station.

Another issue I've heard of connected to the above is if you buy gas as a fuel truck is dumping fuel into the fuel tanks. In this case if the fuel tank has dirt or gunk inside it is getting all "stirred up" as the fuel truck is dumping fuel into the tank and then there is more risk of some of that getting mixed into the fuel (again the filters should catch it). So I tend to avoid stations when a fuel delivery is occurring.
Modern vehicles, with the exception of diesels, no longer have serviceable fuel filters and these are incorporated into the fuel pump in the tank. I personally am not going to take chances with questionable fuel quality. The major brands usually stand behind their quality and often will cover repairs when things happen. With unbranded fuel you are at the mercy of the station operator.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Super S wrote: June 26th, 2023, 7:41 pm Modern vehicles, with the exception of diesels, no longer have serviceable fuel filters and these are incorporated into the fuel pump in the tank. I personally am not going to take chances with questionable fuel quality. The major brands usually stand behind their quality and often will cover repairs when things happen. With unbranded fuel you are at the mercy of the station operator.
Absolutely not - if they cause damage and fail to cover the cost of repairs, you call the police and the station operator gets arrested for theft - since they certainly do not want to do that, they will take care of the issues.

Not to mention that the other posters were talking about filters on the pumps, not ones in the car anyway!
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: June 27th, 2023, 8:24 am
Super S wrote: June 26th, 2023, 7:41 pm Modern vehicles, with the exception of diesels, no longer have serviceable fuel filters and these are incorporated into the fuel pump in the tank. I personally am not going to take chances with questionable fuel quality. The major brands usually stand behind their quality and often will cover repairs when things happen. With unbranded fuel you are at the mercy of the station operator.
Absolutely not - if they cause damage and fail to cover the cost of repairs, you call the police and the station operator gets arrested for theft - since they certainly do not want to do that, they will take care of the issues.

Not to mention that the other posters were talking about filters on the pumps, not ones in the car anyway!
There would be some kind of insurance policy in place and the major brand would have no responsibility unless they operated or directly supplied the station. It would be the responsibility of the station, delivery truck, or terminal depending on the situation. For instance, bad tanks- station. Dumping diesel into the underground tank for unleaded- delivery truck. "Bad gas" - probably terminal (could be refinery supplying said terminal; tests would be run and this would be figured out).

I think some of the bigger corporate operators self fund these types of claims similar to how they handle settlements for things like slip and falls, etc.