Publix expanding to Virginia

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia. No non-grocery posts.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Publix expanding to Virginia

Post by veteran+ »

Interesting that you bring up Greenwise and Sabor.

From what I have read, Publix does not intend to expand the above monikers but instead will incorporate all that was learned into Publix stores built in areas that could have supported the brand.

I understand why they would adjust their original intention, but I can't help but be a little disappointed.

Sabor knocked the socks off of any Sedanos it was near (a stagnant and awfully run chain of Cuban stores, and I mean awful).

I thought Greenwise was/is an exemplary response to Whole Foods!!

Oh well.............
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

My observation was the Sabor did not seem to be doing too well in the location I visited which was a bit of an island relative to the other Sabor locatons. I did like the Sabor, though. I would shop there. The Greenwise seemed very healthy to me, and well-executed.

Their focus seems to be on moving into new territories instead of alternate formats.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

I find Publix's announcement to enter Virginia interesting and exciting. It had planned to enter the commonwealth since entering North Carolina and establishing the Charlotte Division.

Stores
The Bristol, Virginia, store will be in the Atlanta Division. Most of Virginia, including the Glen Allen store, will be in the Charlotte Division.

Publix has announced recently several new Charlotte Division stores that will open in 2017, and, with Glen Allen and the Richmond, Virginia Metropolitan Statistical Area, 2018. This is an interesting observation.

Distribution
Publix's Charlotte Division stores are supported by the Dacula, Georgia, distribution center. Supporting additional stores in both Atlanta and Charlotte divisions may be causing the distribution center to peak in how many stores in can support. The distribution center's farthest supported stores are nearly six hours away in Clarksville, Tennessee, and Cary, North Carolina.

Publix purchased property in Jefferson County, Alabama, for a new distribution center, which should support existing and additional stores in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee.

Addressing the observation, Publix does not have a distribution center yet within its Charlotte Division. Opening a distribution center would speed up new store announcements and allow the Charlotte Division to expand further in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia.

Manufacturing
As the distribution unit expands, so may the manufacturing unit with additional fresh foods and dairy plants.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

I wonder why Publix decided to climb the Atlantic coast instead of focusing on the southeast? I would guess that Publix is trying to avoid Mississippi, which is understandable, but now Publix is becoming an "East Coast" chain instead of a "Southeast" chain, which I can't say I really like. :|
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

The mid-Atlantic United States may provide quicker opportunities for Publix to expand the territory of its Charlotte Division, add many stores in new markets, and establish itself for possible northward expansion.

Publix has not forgotten about the southeastern United States and possible westward expansion. Expansion into Mississippi, Kentucky and Louisiana and further expansion in Tennessee into Memphis are possible. The future Jefferson County, Alabama, distribution center may have a vital role in Publix's westward expansion.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Having worked for Publix, I can tell you that it is unlikely they will go north into union territory. They will continue going north as long as it is predominantly non-union.

They will go west as well as long as it is non-union.

But..........anything is possible and as unions continue to get "diluted", who knows?
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

Knight wrote:The mid-Atlantic United States may provide quicker opportunities for Publix to expand the territory of its Charlotte Division, add many stores in new markets, and establish itself for possible northward expansion.

Publix has not forgotten about the southeastern United States and possible westward expansion. Expansion into Mississippi, Kentucky and Louisiana and further expansion in Tennessee into Memphis are possible. The future Jefferson County, Alabama, distribution center may have a vital role in Publix's westward expansion.
I wonder if Publix will ever make it to Texas? If so, they could be competing with Texas stronghold HEB and also Kroger in both the DFW and Houston markets. The jury is out on what will happen with Albertsons by then.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

veteran+ wrote:Having worked for Publix, I can tell you that it is unlikely they will go north into union territory. They will continue going north as long as it is predominantly non-union.

But..........anything is possible and as unions continue to get "diluted", who knows?
Although there are already non union and union stores in the same areas so it wouldn't be impossible to operate a non union store where others are unionized.
In fact it might be a good thing when you get the every so often union walk outs (like Stop & Shop apparently is facing) to have another option in town.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

architect wrote: I wonder if Publix will ever make it to Texas? If so, they could be competing with Texas stronghold HEB and also Kroger in both the DFW and Houston markets. The jury is out on what will happen with Albertsons by then.
Publix would need to expand into and infill in Mississippi, Arkansas, and Louisiana before entering Texas.

Albertson's, H-E-B, and Kroger in Texas should allow me to spend some time in thought and research into supermarkets in Texas. I will save those discussions for another forum.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

BillyGr wrote:
veteran+ wrote:Having worked for Publix, I can tell you that it is unlikely they will go north into union territory. They will continue going north as long as it is predominantly non-union.

Although there are already non union and union stores in the same areas so it wouldn't be impossible to operate a non union store where others are unionized.
In fact it might be a good thing when you get the every so often union walk outs (like Stop & Shop apparently is facing) to have another option in town.
I understand that and there are numerous examples that we could site.

But I speak to what Publix would do. They do not like to hire employees from other companies. They will make exceptions when entering a market for the first time and will in advance start training folks from home base that are willing to relocate.

They will also (for now and the near future) shy away from States or "markets" that tend to be politically pro union or even union neutral. There is so much territory for them to conquer that is "non-union". Their organic growth will continue unabated.

P.S. They do need to address their core values and mission statement in their mature markets in South Florida that are slipping.