Nordstrom, Saks Off 5th Closing San Francisco

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Nordstrom, Saks Off 5th Closing San Francisco

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: June 15th, 2023, 10:52 pm
veteran+ wrote: June 15th, 2023, 9:33 am

Hilton is one of the worst hotel chains in America. I am generously not including their "luxury properties".

I successfully received a $2000.00 refund for my stay in Denver recently. Never again will I give them another chance (I will book with their upscale locations).
Many hotel chains have not come out of the pandemic well. Hilton, in particular some of its brands, specifically "Hilton" US and "Hilton Garden Inn" US seem to have become quite troubled. "Doubletree" has been troubled for years with some excellent properties and some that should not have the brand. It seems now "Hilton" and "Hilton Garden Inn" are in the same spot as Doubletree. Though in the case of Hilton Garden Inn I'm afraid there are more marginal or terrible properties post-COVID than excellent ones. I also received significant service recovery (refund+additional compensation) out of a horrible stay at a suburban Denver property. I guess some hotels play a little game where they act like they don't have a general manager- first time I ever encountered that- when asking for one when at the hotel. Until filling out a negative survey after leaving then magically there is indeed a general manager who immediately sends a generic apology e-mail, but then "isn't available" when you call the hotel 3 minutes after receiving said generic apology. The management company who owned the hotel handled the service recovery/additional compensation after I contacted them directly. The worst part was that property had a 4.5/5 on Trip Advisor and also around a 4.2 on Google Maps and that was all I looked at before booking it. I was familiar with the location, had driven by it multiple times, great neighborhood, quiet-ish location, but once inside wow that was one of the filthiest rooms I've ever received, sleep quality was poor, odd odor/HVAC noises all night, was told could not move rooms despite the hotel seeming dead (I think they had an entire floor out of service or possibly housing long term tenants who were entering/exiting via staircase only and did not have vehicles). I did not bother to actually read that more recent reviews were very negative so that was my fault for booking the place I guess.

However I did have a nice stay at the Hilton Denver Inverness after the above disaster occurred. Aside from the terrible restaurant food and a couple spiders who came in through the ceiling vent in the middle of the night, issues I accepted and did not report, it was very good there and I'd recommend it. Also the 8 minute walk between the parking lot and the hotel room at the end of the very long corridor was a trek for sure but once in the room it was great, also super quiet.

At this point I am not loyal to any hotel brand. I'll look for the most convenient for me/newest properties/reasonable price. I have yet to try an air B&B or any such thing but I hear good things from people about them (also have heard a few horror stories, but more good than bad).
Wow!!!!!

Same experience for me in Denver (actually worse). Switched to another Hilton and it was bad as well but with a more receptive manager.

Never again!

I booked through AAA and blasted them as well and received monies from them too.

Don't mess with a former New Yorker and a French - Italian temper.............. :x :lol:
storewanderer

Re: Nordstrom, Saks Off 5th Closing San Francisco

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: June 16th, 2023, 10:05 am

Wow!!!!!

Same experience for me in Denver (actually worse). Switched to another Hilton and it was bad as well but with a more receptive manager.

Never again!

I booked through AAA and blasted them as well and received monies from them too.

Don't mess with a former New Yorker and a French - Italian temper.............. :x :lol:
Hotel industry is not what it once was. Once in a while you find a standout property. Just like with stores it all comes down to the people/employees. These business owners who sent everyone to the unemployment line when COVID hit then did not call everyone back right after they got approved for a PPP loan as PPP was intended to keep people employed when there was no business really screwed their operations hard and continue to suffer and hotels basically just shut down. Then they got a bunch of free labor via PPP later after they reopened (sure, business was still "down" from before...). Enough down that rat hole of a topic.

I've still had some great Hilton experiences the past 3 years, but enough bad ones that my loyalty to their brand portfolio is gone. I am just reading reviews more and more closely especially recent ones no matter what hotel. I was recently looking at a Hyatt Place that had 3.5/5 on Hyatt's own site (highly UNUSUAL to see that low of a rating on Hyatt's own site), and a low rating on Trip Advisor and overwhelmingly negative reviews on other sites as well (old former Amerisuites building) and was somewhat shocked but certainly moved on to other options.