Walmart to add more ads (like other grocers)

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Walmart to add more ads (like other grocers)

Post by SamSpade »

Famously, Walmart was always the one to not make vendors pay for shelf placement (no idea if this is still true) just like the "warehouse"/bargain grocers.

There's now going to be ads on the radio in-store, ads in entertainment department and self check outs, sampling stations.
https://www.oregonlive.com/business/202 ... ience.html
storewanderer

Re: Walmart to add more ads (like other grocers)

Post by storewanderer »

Another way to make money...
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Back around 2012 Walmart used to have TV screens at every checkout lane that played commercials. Then they got rid of them.

Similar ones were at Albertsons stores around 2006. There were bigger TV screens that were hanging from the ceiling over the meat coolers.

There was a time around 2015 when Walmart added flat panel TV screens on the ends of aisles and bigger TV screens hanging from the ceiling.

Then they got rid of them perhaps around 2020?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

For some reason I passively remember TV screens at Wal Mart but I don't remember what they were for or what they advertised.

I think they have some kind of ad loop running on the tvs in electronics though to this day, playing Wal Mart related ads and nothing to do with selling specific products.

Wal Mart could probably do a better job trying to market its private label brands if they wanted to... not even on the food side but on the non food side... it sounds like this is mostly going to be a focus on food.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Placing ads on self checkout screens is flat out dumb. Oh hey, there's an ad for Cheerios. Let me drop everything to go get it and get back in line. All this does is add time to checkout for zero ROI.