Walmart store number question

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Super S

Walmart store number question

Post by Super S »

I was looking at a receipt from my local (Longview, WA) Walmart (which is not a supercenter) and noticed that the store number on the receipt has changed from #2469 to #3952. I found out that the old number #2469 has been assigned to a new supercenter in another area of Longview which is still under construction. According to the local newspaper the existing store is supposed to get a Supercenter remodel after the other store opens. But I am curious...if that store is staying open, why have the store numbers changed? Does the change indicate one will close? Worth noting is that the existing Longview store has fallen into disrepair as of late with lots of burned out lights and a lot of well-worn and falling apart fixtures, checkstands, etc., and is dirty at times. I hate to say it but some of the older Kmarts I have visited recently are in better overall shape inside.
krogerclerk
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Re: Walmart store number question

Post by krogerclerk »

My guess is the current Walmart closes when the new supercenter opens as its replacement and is razed for rebuild. Thus the supercenter becomes the successor location to the original location and the the rebuilt store on the original site reopens as the new store number. I've never know Walmart to change store numbers while a store is continuing to operate. The closest example to this I know of is a Walmart replaced by a supercenter then old Walmart was torn down and a Sam's Club built on its site. So even if a rebuild occurs on the same site, it could still be possible for it to be rebuilt as a Sam's or Neighborhood Market.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Oops..I left out the part where a friend of mine was told by a manager that the store is closing and being rebuilt on the same site. That somewhat explains the disrepair. I still don't understand why the store number would change...it seems that it would cause mass confusion as far as ordering merchandise is concerned. I highly doubt Sam's Club will locate here, although Longview does not have a Costco, Sam's Club has very few stores in the region. And the Neighborhood Markets are not here at all.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Here is a good reason for the change:

http://tdn.com/news/local/article_d894b ... 002e0.html
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

I've seen Walmart expand several stores. This is a really unusual step, unless they are demolishing the entire store. Normally, the stores are numbered sequentially, though they skipped the 3000 and 4000 stores and went straight to 5000. 6000 and 8000 are reserved for Sam's.
Super S

Post by Super S »

wnetmacman wrote:I've seen Walmart expand several stores. This is a really unusual step, unless they are demolishing the entire store. Normally, the stores are numbered sequentially, though they skipped the 3000 and 4000 stores and went straight to 5000. 6000 and 8000 are reserved for Sam's.
The Walmarts in this area that have expanded remained open during the whole project. I agree this is an unusual step, especially since it appears, apparently, that the existing building is being expanded instead of demolished. This Walmart opened in mid-90sand has a drop ceiling. In stores that remained open, I noticed they retained the drop ceiling but did not install a drop ceiling over the grocery section. Makes me wonder if they will entirely remove the drop ceiling and maybe install skylights like in the newer stores. However, Fred Meyer has done many remodels, including the store here in Longview, where they took out the drop ceiling and remained open.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I made a purchase at a Reno Division 1 Wal Mart that is being relocated on October 13. Anyway, the receipt showed some strange store number, 39something or other. But it is still processing cards under the old store number, and the system already has it programmed as a Supercenter.

I just checked my card statement online and it kicked back the following:

WAL-MART 2106 RENO NV 0
32639449 GENERAL MERCHANDISE
GENERAL MERCHANDISE
Doing Business As: SUPERCENTER
Merchant Address: 702 SW 8TH ST
BENTONVILLE
AR
BENTONVILLE
UNITED STATES