Ahold Delhaize (Stop & Shop) buys King Kullen

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont. No non-grocery posts.
cathandler
Silver Member
Silver Member

Ahold Delhaize (Stop & Shop) buys King Kullen

Post by cathandler » January 4th, 2019, 10:16 am

It's all over for the first supermarket chain after an 89-year run
https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail- ... ing-kullen

storewanderer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Ahold Delhaize (Stop & Shop) buys King Kullen

Post by storewanderer » January 6th, 2019, 11:04 am

With as boring, uninspired, and high priced as Stop & Shop is, it is hard to imagine King Kullen was any worse. This is clearly a loss. And there appear to be a lot of overlapping stores.

mjhale
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by mjhale » January 6th, 2019, 9:09 pm

storewanderer wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 11:04 am
With as boring, uninspired, and high priced as Stop & Shop is, it is hard to imagine King Kullen was any worse. This is clearly a loss. And there appear to be a lot of overlapping stores.
Any thought as to who might be interested in any overlapping stores? The only big players I can think of are Acme (Albertsons) or ShopRite. Would any of the ethnic grocers be interested especially closer to NYC?

As someone who watched Ahold destroy Giant-MD and turn it into a clone of the boring, already Aholdized Stop and Shop I can only imagine what they might do to King Kullen whether it was a quality operator or not.

klkla
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by klkla » January 7th, 2019, 3:22 pm

mjhale wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 9:09 pm
Any thought as to who might be interested in any overlapping stores? The only big players I can think of are Acme (Albertsons) or ShopRite. Would any of the ethnic grocers be interested especially closer to NYC?
If the FTC does not require any divestitures I think they would prefer to close overlapping locations instead of selling them to competitors.

Alpha8472
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Alpha8472 » January 10th, 2019, 11:01 am

I was in New York a few months ago and visited a King Kullen. It looked clean and presentable. The store did look like it had not been remodeled since the 80s.

mbz321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mbz321 » January 11th, 2019, 8:58 pm

mjhale wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 9:09 pm
storewanderer wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 11:04 am
Acme's acquired stores from A&P in North Jersey and New York have been performing horribly. I don't see them expanding at all in that region, and possibly closing more stores. They are getting killed in their home turf too, but that's another discussion. I wonder if ShopRite would expand its 'The Fresh Grocer' banner to NY.