Coronavirus and wearing masks in stores

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Coronavirus and wearing masks in stores

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: May 10th, 2020, 2:04 pm Employees are required to wear masks. Customers are requested to but not required. The masks also come out of the store's budget. So Amazon wants to give out as few as possible.
I guess having a mask down around your neck (not over your nose and mouth) counts as wearing a mask as I saw a few instances of that in Whole Foods over the weekend on employees.

Such a difference from last week. I am disappointed.

Generally speaking this mask thing everywhere is a joke. Way too many improperly worn masks, dirty masks. Tons of people who take the mask down to talk (seems like that is when you need the mask on the most but what do I know).

Whole Foods isn't the only "mask required for employees" retailer I went into this weekend where employees had no masks on. Wal Mart and Smiths I noticed the same thing, about half of the employees had masks, others did not. Wal Mart was the worst with employees stocking in "pairs" talking to each other. Saw some even hugging each other (?????). Both of those stores on previous visits last week were at 100% compliance on employees all wearing masks. I went into a Save Mart in Carson City where nobody had a mask on (not one customer and not one employee- I did only see 2 employees) but there is no mask required policy there and it is a rural location so I am not surprised. It was actually kind of nice.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

This is why they should encourage the clear plastic face shield. This allows more air and still protects others from a cough or sneeze. Also it protects the eyes which is where the virus infected those doctors on the front line in China.

There is also the use of far UVC lights. Far UVC lights kill viruses, bacteria, and mold. It will not penetrate the outer layer of the eye or skin. In the future, far UVC lights can be installed on airplanes and in doctor waiting rooms. They will sterilize the air and cannot cause skin cancer like other UV wavelengths.

The coronavirus is very weak when it comes to UV light. Even regular sunlight will kill it. Outdoor transmission in daylight is very low.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Also the clear plastic face shield would be very easy to clean, throughout the day if you want to.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Another thing I saw a photo of (not sure it was even in the US, but somewhere that started opening early on) was a person cutting hair with one of those plastic shields.

That also makes sense, since that (and they could choose to wear a mask under it for extra protection of customers) would also help if the customer couldn't wear one (which might happen for some to be able to properly cut certain areas), as even if the customer coughed or sneezed, the worker would have the shield to stop it from their face (where the mask alone doesn't work so well to protect the wearer).
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The face shield and mask combination is a great idea.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

Riverside County, California rescinded mandatory mask and social distancing requirements last Friday night (5/8). A few cities in the county (mostly in the Coachella Valley - Palm Springs area - + Perris) have enacted new orders this week rerequiring them. But in my area of the county, most stores no longer require masks. Vons, Albertsons, CVS, Stater Bros, Aldi, 99 Cents Only all dropped requirements to wear them (I have yet to go in Ralphs). Even some employees at Aldi in my city were not wearing a mask when I went in Wednesday. Most people are still wearing masks but, other than myself, I've seen a few people in each store not wearing one.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I actually stayed out of stores the past couple days but before that I was continuing to see less and less mask use both on the part of customers and the part of employees up here in NV. At night, it just seems like hardly anyone is wearing masks. I was in one store that was doing some refrigeration swap outs and there were about 12 construction workers inside the store and not one of them had a mask on.

It has been windy here all week blowing around a ton of dust and I think many, many people are having trouble breathing with a mask on. I know I am. Easier to just stay home at this point. Wal Mart's website has excellent selection of groceries, especially if you look for lesser known brands (not private label), regional brands, etc.

I read the mask requirement is mandatory in public in LA County. Are they providing masks to the public? Fresh, clean masks? I am not even sure it is within their jurisdiction to make such an order but if they can figure out a way to hand out fresh clean masks all over their county this would be an excellent move to ensure everyone has fresh clean masks and it is all uniform, none of this cloth dirty smelly junk people keep reusing and will likely get sick from due to how contaminated/dirty it all is. I guess they can try whatever they want and see if it sticks. It would come off a lot better if they could provide masks. Disposable masks are hard to find and cost has shot up. No more 10 for $1 disposable masks at 99 Cents Only or Dollar Tree. At this point you are lucky to get 1 of those old Dollar Store masks for $1. Clearly price gouging is taking place here and not right.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Walmart pharmacies in the San Francisco Bay Area have gotten large shipments of 25 and 50 pack masks with Chinese labeling inside. These are more expensive than the Walmart Equate masks, but due to the shortage people seem to be buying them like crazy. I do not know about the quality, but they resemble the blue medical masks. Who knows if they are even medical quality.

I would be afraid to go near unmasked people. We need masks to keep those who show no symptoms from spreading the virus.

The San Francisco Bay Area still has mask requirements in most counties except for Santa Clara county. Santa Clara has confirmed people died from COVID-19 back in February. This is where it all began to spread.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

One store I went into tonight a customer came in after me who could not stop coughing. They collected a few items and paid and were only in the place for a few minutes but while this person was at the cashier they must have coughed 30 times. They were trying to cough into their elbow, I will at least say that. Neither the customer nor the cashier had a mask on.

Another store I went into tonight I observed another customer who seemed really sick but was not coughing (maybe it was just allergies), looked sick too, again no mask, talking loudly, etc.

I think case numbers are going to be rising.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

Aldi in Menifee (Riverside County, Ca) some employees are no longer wearing masks (now optional in my county for everyone). Also, although an employee gives you a fresh, cleaned cart when you enter (no quarter deposit), I normally don't buy a lot of items at Aldi and bag my groceries right as the cashier is scanning my groceries. My cashiers recently have taken my cart and started loading the next customers groceries in it (as they use to do before mid-March).