KMART STORE CLOSINGS

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

K Mart 2014 Store Closings

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Just heard on the local news that two more area stores are closing by May: Clifton Park and Latham. And as per usual, the reason given was non-renewal of the lease. This is getting old if you ask me.
Last edited by TW-Upstate NY on February 3rd, 2014, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: K Mart 2014 Stire Closings

Post by BillyGr »

TW-Upstate NY wrote:Just heard on the local news that two more area stores are closing by May: Clifton Park and Latham. And as per usual, the reason given was non-renewal of the lease. This is getting old if you ask me.
I think that only leaves East Greenbush (Rensselaer) and the one in the Rotterdam Square Mall within the greater Albany area (unless I am missing any)?

Otherwise, probably the closest are Bennington VT, Great Barrington MA and the used to be Super K in Queensbury (though converted back to a regular store, I think).
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Re: K Mart 2014 Stire Closings

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

I heard a news account this evening that said there were six area locations left. A quick check of the store locator on their website identifies the sixth store as being Greenwich.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: K Mart 2014 Store Closings

Post by BillyGr »

TW-Upstate NY wrote:I heard a news account this evening that said there were six area locations left. A quick check of the store locator on their website identifies the sixth store as being Greenwich.
I always forget that one being out there - probably one of those spots where they do OK due to lack of other retail in the area (as would be the case with Bennington [for now] and Great Barrington also).

Seems like one of these chains would catch on to that sometime - Ames had a similar position in several areas (particularly up in the North Country) and might have been able to keep a smaller chain if they could have gotten rid of the excess debts and stores in areas where there was more competition.
Last edited by BillyGr on February 23rd, 2014, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
jbarn02
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by jbarn02 »

Add another Kmart to the list. The Kmart in Charleston, SC/West Ashley #3080 is closing also. I worked for Kmart #7239 which closed in January. This closing was not un-expected. We knew about this quite awhile ago.
jbarn02
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Re: KMART 2013 STORE CLOSINGS

Post by jbarn02 »

Someone please merge this thread with the 2014 thread and just name it kmart store closings please.
dcpeachy
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by dcpeachy »

Another Albuquerque closing. The store on West Central (which was supposed to be replaced by a new build SuperKMart, which eventually became a Verizon call center) will start its sale later this month.

The closure will leave Albuquerque with one KMart (Carlisle/I-40--partially expanded to become SuperKMart, but only one end of the store was done due to the bankruptcy filing mid-construction) and one in Rio Rancho.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

BillyGr wrote:
TW-Upstate NY wrote:Just heard on the local news that two more area stores are closing by May: Clifton Park and Latham. And as per usual, the reason given was non-renewal of the lease. This is getting old if you ask me.
I think that only leaves East Greenbush (Rensselaer) and the one in the Rotterdam Square Mall within the greater Albany area (unless I am missing any)?

Otherwise, probably the closest are Bennington VT, Great Barrington MA and the used to be Super K in Queensbury (though converted back to a regular store, I think).
And now the Rensselaer (East Greenbush) store is closing also, but in June so not as quickly (sales not starting until, I think, April 3rd, while the other two start this Sunday).
Last edited by BillyGr on February 23rd, 2014, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

jbarn02 wrote:Someone please merge this thread with the 2014 thread and just name it kmart store closings please.
Done.
jbarn02
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by jbarn02 »

submariner wrote:
jbarn02 wrote:Someone please merge this thread with the 2014 thread and just name it kmart store closings please.
Done.
Thank You Aaron very much appreciated.