Bremerton QFC Closed

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Bremerton QFC Closed

Post by storewanderer »

I see the Bremerton QFC has closed.

I see Kroger in a position to pick up some divested Safeway/Albertsons properties in Oregon/Washington and it would be interesting to see if those stores are given to QFC or given a Fred Meyer Marketplace branding. QFC seems to have problems competing. QFC's prices are pretty high but they are very well operated stores (a total 180 from how Safeway Stores are run) and have top quality items.

Interestingly there is one QFC in Vancouver, WA which is a larger store and has a very competitive price structure. I think the prices in there are just as good as Fred Meyer, and significantly lower from the much smaller QFCs around Portland. The store never has much traffic when I visit, so maybe it is on a price program to try to increase traffic. I think if they were to use that price program on some Safeway/Albertsons conversions, QFC would gain a decent price reputation on any new stores they may pick up.

I think Kroger has learned a lot from QFC on fresh departments.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Re: Bremerton QFC Closed

Post by submariner »

Is that the QFC on Kitsap Way? I wonder if the WinCo down the highway cannibalized its sales. I don't recall any other grocery stores in the immediate area.

Edit: I forgot that the Rite Aid had closed. With Blockbuster gone, all that is left (unless anything's changed) is the smoke shop and the laundromat. The center is dead. It's still a decent location, I wouldn't doubt it's slated for a new development.
storewanderer

Re: Bremerton QFC Closed

Post by storewanderer »

Yes, this is the one with the WinCo nearby.

I find it interesting a WinCo would drive a QFC out of business.

Kroger, Albertsons, and Safeway should have tried to take care of WinCo before its expansion got to this point that now a chain with under 100 stores can drive these much larger chain stores out of business. Well, just like all those indifferent grocers in the plains states and south handled Wal Mart's initial expansion into the food business...