Albertsons announces strategic review of company

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Albertsons announces strategic review of company

Post by HCal »

ClownLoach wrote: March 6th, 2022, 10:13 pm The strategic review specifically is to grow the Albertsons Companies per their press release. Not sell and close it. Remember that making an announcement like this is a one way street, you can't take it back because it would be considered stock manipulation by the SEC who would lock up the executives on the spot.
Of course they are going to say they want to grow the company. Sears/Kmart was saying that every year up until very recently. No company is going to say "we are looking to break up".

As long as the announcement was made in good faith, it is perfectly legal. There is no requirement that a deal has to be reached.
marketreportblog
Dairy Manager
Dairy Manager

Post by marketreportblog »

As much as we all want something dramatic to come of this strategic review -- and believe me, so do I -- I think the most reasonable prediction is a rather conservative one. To me, the most likely outcome is (if anything at all) minor changes: some store closures of a few stores here and there, possibly some small acquisitions of a few stores here and there, probably some renovations at the stores that haven't gotten any yet, maybe a few partnerships with assorted tech-based companies, maybe warehouses or offices being consolidated and so on. I think it's also likely there will be changes of ownership (as Cerberus, Kimco, and others want to get out) but that would not necessarily lead to any changes on the front-facing side.

It's possible that Albertsons is looking to sell off an unprofitable or lower-profit banner or division, but that's a trickier call that you couldn't exactly make without knowing all the information. What we do know is that Albertsons is doing extremely well, and consistently outperforming their own and financial analysts' expectations. That's good news, but it doesn't mean that there aren't unprofitable banners or divisions. The question becomes: where is the greater earning potential, in selling a chain or in ongoing operations of it? Yes, Albertsons is several billion dollars in debt, but that doesn't matter as long as they are able to continue operations and not let that debt grow. If the company forecasts that there is significant growth potential, it doesn't make sense to sell the chain, it makes sense to focus on executing that growth. Look at ACME -- it's not the most profitable chain in the world, but its growth (https://www.winsightgrocerybusiness.com ... s-suggests) over the past few years is impressive. Is there that potential in other chains, and is that growth sustainable? So far, it seems that it is, making it unlikely that ACME for one would be sold off for overall streamlining. A more likely scenario involving sale would be for Albertsons to continue, as I believe they have been, selling off real estate rather than the store operations. Again, we don't know how much real estate they still own, so it's hard to say how much more profit potential that has.

As far as acquisitions, I'd love to see an Albertsons-Whole Foods or Albertsons-Sprouts or Albertsons-anything else acquisition as much as the next guy, but I think for the most part those dramatic acquisitions are highly unlikely. I think ClownLoach makes some very convincing arguments about the potential for a Whole Foods takeover, but at the end of the day, how likely is that, really? I have no real argument against that suggestion other than a gut feeling that it's just not going to happen, although of course it may.

And as for the language used in the press release, I do agree that it contains none of the usual hallmarks of the corporate jargon indicating downsizing. There's no "maximizing labor efficiencies," no "reducing distribution redundancies," and so on. I suspect that any major closures or sales with the potential effect of large-scale closures would be foreshadowed for PR reasons, so that the public, unions, and others have a suggestion in advance that there may be something like that happening.

That all said... there's one line in the press release that stands out to me. The quote from Chan Galbato contains the phrase "an ongoing focus on accelerating our transformation strategy." My inclination is that Albertsons' long-term strategy does not include a breakup of the banners or divisions, but instead more likely includes renovations, improved e-commerce, and so on and so forth. If they are positioning this as supplementing what they're already doing, I find it hard to believe they'd be aiming for large-scale sales, but of course I could be wrong!
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

HCal wrote: March 7th, 2022, 12:16 am
ClownLoach wrote: March 6th, 2022, 10:13 pm The strategic review specifically is to grow the Albertsons Companies per their press release. Not sell and close it. Remember that making an announcement like this is a one way street, you can't take it back because it would be considered stock manipulation by the SEC who would lock up the executives on the spot.
Of course they are going to say they want to grow the company. Sears/Kmart was saying that every year up until very recently. No company is going to say "we are looking to break up".

As long as the announcement was made in good faith, it is perfectly legal. There is no requirement that a deal has to be reached.
Except with SHLD, there had been nothing but straight losses over a decade and consistent store closures. If SHLD had been doing some minor acquisitions & new store openings, investing in technology, and renovating stores, as Albertsons has been doing, then, well, it'd be a very different story. Albertsons has opened a handful of stores in the last three years. When was the last time a new Sears (Hometown/remodels don't count) opened? 2005? The last Kmart opened twenty years ago!

The only real valid comparison between SHLD and ACI is that they were two flagging banners trying to combine into one, and that they made some sale-leasebacks in an attempt to raise money. That's it.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

As previously discussed there are generally two different angles in the public announcements to investors once hiring outside counsel for strategic alternatives: either seeking funding or transactions to enlarge the company, or seeking reductions in operations and liquidations of assets to restructure a struggling company. They clearly posted the first version. And although no deal has to be reached they do have to be truthful in the wording, meaning that the intent is to enlarge the organization and not go out to seek discontinuation of businesses and dispose of them.

The Sears comparison really doesn't apply well because Lampert owned most of the company and there were numerous shareholders who were suing for fraud and unlawful enrichment. Sears is really a one of a kind situation of a long term managed liquidation and asset theft process enables through the bankruptcy code.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Here's another thought. Texas and Florida are one of the fastest-growing states right now, yet Albertsons is falling behind in Texas and has exited Florida. So what if the plan is reinvesting in those markets? Texas at least has a small foothold, and I bet that they even hold leases on some of the closed stores. But Florida's Albertsons operation was always an isolated market and they left for good a few years ago.

The only way back in to Florida is purchasing SEG. There's going to be the obvious "acquiring damaged goods/old stores" problem, but it has a few benefits. Lone Star Funds can take over Cerberus' share and get a much better and bigger grocery operation. SEG has already purged many of the loser stores and BI-LO, while re-investing in WD. Lucky's Market is gone, freeing up space and market share for WD to grow again. With the possible exception of Baton Rouge, there's no overlap. Finally, Winn-Dixie and Albertsons joining forces gives them a definitive, if spotty, Gulf Coast operation. The idea of a Gulf Coast operation is now back on the table.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

pseudo3d wrote: March 7th, 2022, 8:13 am

Except with SHLD, there had been nothing but straight losses over a decade and consistent store closures. If SHLD had been doing some minor acquisitions & new store openings, investing in technology, and renovating stores, as Albertsons has been doing, then, well, it'd be a very different story. Albertsons has opened a handful of stores in the last three years. When was the last time a new Sears (Hometown/remodels don't count) opened? 2005? The last Kmart opened twenty years ago!

The only real valid comparison between SHLD and ACI is that they were two flagging banners trying to combine into one, and that they made some sale-leasebacks in an attempt to raise money. That's it.
I agree there shouldn't be much comparison but someone else raised the issue. Sears basically was a scam in which Fast Eddie Lampert sold the real estate for pennies to himself then signed Sears to massive leasebacks to effectively steal all the assets of the company. And all of the leases had boot clauses that allowed Eddie to kick them out the second someone became interested in the property. He will walk away from Sears when the final store closes with billions of dollars in Real Estate and a huge stream of ongoing rents basically for nothing.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

pseudo3d wrote: March 8th, 2022, 8:14 am Here's another thought. Texas and Florida are one of the fastest-growing states right now, yet Albertsons is falling behind in Texas and has exited Florida. So what if the plan is reinvesting in those markets? Texas at least has a small foothold, and I bet that they even hold leases on some of the closed stores. But Florida's Albertsons operation was always an isolated market and they left for good a few years ago.

The only way back in to Florida is purchasing SEG. There's going to be the obvious "acquiring damaged goods/old stores" problem, but it has a few benefits. Lone Star Funds can take over Cerberus' share and get a much better and bigger grocery operation. SEG has already purged many of the loser stores and BI-LO, while re-investing in WD. Lucky's Market is gone, freeing up space and market share for WD to grow again. With the possible exception of Baton Rouge, there's no overlap. Finally, Winn-Dixie and Albertsons joining forces gives them a definitive, if spotty, Gulf Coast operation. The idea of a Gulf Coast operation is now back on the table.
Makes sense. I do still think that Whole Foods is in play. I fully expect Amazon to move towards a narrow focus of improving their execution in their key areas of industry dominance and unload anything that is not a massive success. They have too many distractions right now and have become way too top-heavy.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

Another article suggests underperforming divisions might be sold:

https://www.phillyvoice.com/acme-albert ... U5PELydwec

My 2 cents is that an Albertsons / Ahold Delhaize merger makes perfect sense with Albertsons offloading its Mid Atlantic and Northeastern stores (The Giants and Stop and Shop are much stronger than Safeway Eastern / Acme / Shaw's). The Food Lion concept could also then be expanded nationwide in stores that no longer warrant the full "full service" offering.

Albertsons / Ahold Delhaize would be #1 or 2 on good parts of the East and West coasts, Chicago, and the Intermountain West. The Mid Atlantic / Northeastern stores would be a good fit for Publix, Kroger or some of the European grocers (Aldi, Lidl).
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Food Lion previously entered Texas and Oklahoma-and failed (after the TV expose about selling outdated meat as fresh)
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

arizonaguy wrote: March 9th, 2022, 8:29 am Another article suggests underperforming divisions might be sold:

https://www.phillyvoice.com/acme-albert ... U5PELydwec

My 2 cents is that an Albertsons / Ahold Delhaize merger makes perfect sense with Albertsons offloading its Mid Atlantic and Northeastern stores (The Giants and Stop and Shop are much stronger than Safeway Eastern / Acme / Shaw's). The Food Lion concept could also then be expanded nationwide in stores that no longer warrant the full "full service" offering.

Albertsons / Ahold Delhaize would be #1 or 2 on good parts of the East and West coasts, Chicago, and the Intermountain West. The Mid Atlantic / Northeastern stores would be a good fit for Publix, Kroger or some of the European grocers (Aldi, Lidl).
Food Lion has more or less been in a holding pattern for years. They stopped their market expansion in the early 1990s (and were allegedly doing poorly even before the ABC report) and only have expanded through opportunistic acquisitions (in their existing territory), like Farm Fresh when UNFI pulled the plug, or BI-LO when SEG pulled the plug.

When the merger happened, Delhaize was clearly the weaker partner. Sure, there was one market where the Food Lions got kept over Martin's, but they certainly didn't grow the brand much and definitely didn't convert any of their own brand to FL.