Two Fresno Vons Locations Closing

California. No non-grocery posts.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Two Fresno Vons Locations Closing

Post by CalItalian »

There will be just 4 Vons remaining in Fresno after the closures.

http://www.thebusinessjournal.com/news/ ... 7-to-close
http://abc30.com/business/vons-to-close ... es/708161/

Interesting that the NorCal Albertsons-Safeway spokesperson commented on the closing. Are the Fresno stores now run by the Northern California division? They were part of the Southern California Vons division before the merger.
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Re: Two Fresno Vons Locations Closing

Post by reymann »

if they have, i wonder if they will be rebranded as safeway in the coming months. fresno has been a really weak market for safeway and with save mart being in no condition to acquire, they should use the pak n save in madera as a chance to revive the warehouse format for safeway/albertsons
klkla

Post by klkla »

I doubt they would rebrand them as Safeway. Safeway hasn't operated in Fresno since 1988 if I remember correctly.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Safeway ran 2 stores and 1 Pak N Save in Fresno until about 1996. They were sold to Save Mart. Actually I think they were traded with Save Mart. In return Safeway got Save Mart's Vallejo stores. Of the Fresno Safeways, One was a late 70's store later rebuilt by Save Mart, one was a 1950s box style store which recently closed, and I think the former Pak N Save is still open as Food Maxx.

Safeway NorCal runs a Pak N Save up in Madera not far from Fresno. Oakhurst is Vons and that is more north than Madera.

Fresno is still on the Vons ad program, but Tracy would be a closer supply point for Fresno.