Boston Market

veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Boston Market

Post by veteran+ »

Interesting.......................I have never seen a drive thru Boston Market.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: May 19th, 2023, 9:10 am Interesting.......................I have never seen a drive thru Boston Market.
From what I've seen, most have drive throughs. But there are some without.

I think the format is actually better suited to NOT have a drive through. But I dislike drive throughs and prefer they'd all go away (except maybe drive through pharmacies and ATMs). The locations with a drive through actually have a small holding case for side items behind the main glass holding case so they can pull orders from that secondary prep area. The Reno location didn't use that area for years so the drive through was always pushing its way into the front counter employee to put plates together for drive through.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: May 19th, 2023, 11:05 pm
veteran+ wrote: May 19th, 2023, 9:10 am Interesting.......................I have never seen a drive thru Boston Market.
From what I've seen, most have drive throughs. But there are some without.

I think the format is actually better suited to NOT have a drive through. But I dislike drive throughs and prefer they'd all go away (except maybe drive through pharmacies and ATMs). The locations with a drive through actually have a small holding case for side items behind the main glass holding case so they can pull orders from that secondary prep area. The Reno location didn't use that area for years so the drive through was always pushing its way into the front counter employee to put plates together for drive through.
We had both types here.

Some of them were in strip type plazas, where a drive-thru simply wasn't possible (in the middle of the strip, no easy way to go along the back), so they obviously didn't have one.

Others were in freestanding buildings, where drive thru was easier to do. In fact, about the last one (that only closed in the last year or two) was actually in an old McDonalds building, dating from the time they were co-owned and McDonald's had moved up the road to front a then-new shopping plaza, so if they had a vacant building, why not put in something else they ran!
ninersdd
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by ninersdd »

Looks like the Fair Oaks Blvd one is finally closed, and according to the Business Journal, Starbucks wants to move into it with the drive thru. It will probably move from the University Village a couple of blocks away. This was a Carls Jr 25+ years ago also.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ninersdd wrote: May 31st, 2023, 12:53 pm Looks like the Fair Oaks Blvd one is finally closed, and according to the Business Journal, Starbucks wants to move into it with the drive thru. It will probably move from the University Village a couple of blocks away. This was a Carls Jr 25+ years ago also.
Is it closed? It still accepts online orders. Was going to order the cheapest item (Cornbread) and see if it gets refunded then if not just call it a wash, but see the price is $1.99 EACH (or 6 for $5.99). What? Those were $1.09 when the Reno unit closed last October or whenever it was.
ninersdd
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by ninersdd »

storewanderer wrote: May 31st, 2023, 6:59 pm
ninersdd wrote: May 31st, 2023, 12:53 pm Looks like the Fair Oaks Blvd one is finally closed, and according to the Business Journal, Starbucks wants to move into it with the drive thru. It will probably move from the University Village a couple of blocks away. This was a Carls Jr 25+ years ago also.
Is it closed? It still accepts online orders. Was going to order the cheapest item (Cornbread) and see if it gets refunded then if not just call it a wash, but see the price is $1.99 EACH (or 6 for $5.99). What? Those were $1.09 when the Reno unit closed last October or whenever it was.
Here is the article: https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/ ... 2023-05-31
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ninersdd wrote: May 31st, 2023, 8:41 pm
Here is the article: https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/ ... 2023-05-31
This is an old Wendy's building from back when the longer term Wendy's franchisee went bust in Sacramento, most units got acquired by Carl's Jr., and then Wendy's corporate decided to re-develop the Sacramento market with newer corporate units (sounds like a similar story to Burger King in Sacramento doesn't it?)...

I see a Google Map review for the Sacramento Boston Market over the weekend which stated that half of the menu was unavailable. That may be a sign that it was about to close over the weekend and has not shut online ordering off yet.

Meanwhile there are still 2 open units in Fresno, not even very far apart. So weird.

The Reno unit is just sitting there with all of the equipment, etc. still inside. Drive through menu still up. I should go record pricing. I thought Starbucks would take that location but for whatever reason they have not. Since these Boston Markets are all corporate operated units I think the likelihood of a reopening is very low but we have seen them reopen closed stores in the past, so who knows.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

I just happened to pass by a very old Boston Market here in the Philly suburbs (Abington, PA) that dates back to the real expansion of the concept in the mid 1990's (pretty sure the building was previously a Roy Rogers like many were in the Philadelphia area) and it looks like it recently closed as well (in the last few weeks based on a few recent Google reviews). Place was still all lit up with signage in place, but there were For Lease signs from a real estate company around the property. So much for the revival of the brand. Surprisingly, they still have several locations in Philadelphia itself.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

Three of the four remaining Southern Orange County locations closed very recently. I'm pondering if corporate is closing locations nationally?

We use to frequent Boston Market; perpetual coupons made it a bargain for the quantity and quality of food. Then we stopped frequenting it because... well, we just grew tired of it. And I'm sure most others did, too, although surveys yield that the chain was never popular among Millennials.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

There are still coupons in the e-mail club. In the past week I have gotten one or two day duration Buy 1 Get 1 Free coupons, a $6.02 whole chicken coupon, and maybe a couple others. All coupons are good at all locations this time. A month or two back the coupons were coming in saying not valid in CA. All locations are corporate except a couple truck stops.

The CA locations seem to hardly have any side item selection anymore, and based on some Google reviews I am not sure the sides they do still have are the same sides they were carrying even six months ago.

I have multiple times wished my local unit was still open... these grocery store rotisserie chickens are very foul ball or miss (never a hit). Boston Market was basically always a hit or a foul ball at the worst.