CA to ban disposable cups at restaurants for eat in

Alpha8472

Re: CA to ban disposable cups at restaurants for eat in

Post by Alpha8472 »

Some areas of California do charge higher water rates for higher water consumption customers, but not all areas. Businesses are sometimes charged a higher water rate than residential customers.

East Bay MUD for example also charges a higher rate depending on what elevation you are at. It costs more to pump water to a higher elevation.

Water in California is expensive, but at least it is not as expensive as France. In France, they charge you for tap water. Water is so expensive that people don't even shower everyday. They don't even want to flush the toilet very often because the cost is so high.

In France, fast food places charge you for refills on soda because the water used for soda is expensive.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

storewanderer wrote: February 14th, 2024, 11:05 pm
I also find it ironic these fast foods used to use almost exclusively paper cups. The plastic cups are recent within the past few years. That was a result of the plastic bag bans, increased demand for paper bags, and price being driven up on paper cups. So places switched to plastic cups. McDonalds, Wendys, etc.
I don't get the whole plastic cup trend. I wonder how much cheaper they realistically are compared to paper cups? It would be one thing if the plastic cups were made from #2 plastic, which is more likely to be recycled, but every fast food cup and similar container I've come across is #5, which is basically garbage.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Plastic cups make soda taste terrible. I can't stand it. Paper cups were the best.

I don't think recycling cups will ever be profitable.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

mbz321 wrote: February 16th, 2024, 6:41 pm
I also find it ironic these fast foods used to use almost exclusively paper cups. The plastic cups are recent within the past few years. That was a result of the plastic bag bans, increased demand for paper bags, and price being driven up on paper cups. So places switched to plastic cups. McDonalds, Wendys, etc.
I don't get the whole plastic cup trend. I wonder how much cheaper they realistically are compared to paper cups? It would be one thing if the plastic cups were made from #2 plastic, which is more likely to be recycled, but every fast food cup and similar container I've come across is #5, which is basically garbage.
That simply depends on the area - our transfer stations will take #1, 2 and 5 (and have for years - in fact, they used to take the other numbers as well but dropped those over time).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

mbz321 wrote: February 16th, 2024, 6:41 pm
It is because paper cups got too expensive for the fast food industry, plastic cups became cheaper, so they switched to those. They also screwed around on cup size and downsized drinks by a couple ounces in the process. The additional demand for paper bags caused by the plastic bag bans caused this to happen to spike up paper cup prices.

The convenience sector has used plastic or foam cups for a while. But they typically sell larger sized drinks, push refill sales, etc. Also people may drink off a 44oz cup for 5 or 6 hours. A paper cup will leak after a few hours.

For fast food the paper cups were/are most appropriate. People don't keep a 20 ounce cup all day, they may drink it an hour after they leave but that is typically that. They "squish down" better in the trash too.
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

some pizza chains discontinued the practice of reusable plastic cups during the pandemic and afterwards due to labor shortage. i hope they didn't throw away those reusable plastic cups.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

reymann wrote: February 17th, 2024, 2:04 pm some pizza chains discontinued the practice of reusable plastic cups during the pandemic and afterwards due to labor shortage. i hope they didn't throw away those reusable plastic cups.
Those cups were pretty good sized. Usually 20 or 24 ounce. A smaller cup would be more appropriate at this point. Soda cost has gone up to the point that soda waste is something to be somewhat mindful about.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Coca-Cola Freestyle machines are a big source of soda waste. Customers mix up different flavors and then pour it all out to try another flavor combination. People just stand in front of the machine tasting different flavors and it really holds up the line. It is awful.

The sodas from these machines taste wrong. Something about all the different flavors coming out of one tube contaminates the flavor. You pour out a cup and try again thinking maybe it was something stuck in the tube.

Even if you flush the main spigot with water, the sodas just don't taste right.

Jack In the Box fills your Coca-Cola Freestyle flavor ahead of time if you order on the app. If you show up and want a different flavor, they have to pour it out and fill another cupful. Wendy's also does this. It is very wasteful.

My local Wendy's has 2 Freestyle machines and they keep one unplugged so that everyone is forced to use one machine. If they had 2, then customers would serve themselves and mix up different flavors all day long.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The seltzer water in the freestyle machines tastes okay. There is usually plain or lemon lime. Sometimes some berry flavor too. It is pretty good actually.

The Terrible Herbst stations and Jack in the Box units all have these Freestyle machines, main places I encounter them. I don't see them much in other places. Only some Wendys have them; the two I go to most often don't.

I think Five Guys still has them. Fuddruckers used to.

I'm not seeing many new installs...
Super S

Post by Super S »

Alpha8472 wrote: February 17th, 2024, 8:18 pm Coca-Cola Freestyle machines are a big source of soda waste. Customers mix up different flavors and then pour it all out to try another flavor combination. People just stand in front of the machine tasting different flavors and it really holds up the line. It is awful.

The sodas from these machines taste wrong. Something about all the different flavors coming out of one tube contaminates the flavor. You pour out a cup and try again thinking maybe it was something stuck in the tube.

Even if you flush the main spigot with water, the sodas just don't taste right.

Jack In the Box fills your Coca-Cola Freestyle flavor ahead of time if you order on the app. If you show up and want a different flavor, they have to pour it out and fill another cupful. Wendy's also does this. It is very wasteful.

My local Wendy's has 2 Freestyle machines and they keep one unplugged so that everyone is forced to use one machine. If they had 2, then customers would serve themselves and mix up different flavors all day long.
The Arby's locations in my area have shifted to Coke products in recent years. So far, they have not used Freestyle machines.I have also noticed, last time I was in the Seattle area, that Ivar's Seafood has moved away from these and is back to normal fountain dispensers.

There is a new build Burger King in St. Helens, OR, which should be open for business by now, that I might stop at next time I am in the area. I am curious what pop machines they installed.

I agree about the Freestyle machines and have not liked them since day one.