Wegmans Cheapening Decor

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont. No non-grocery posts.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Re: Wegmans Cheapening Decor

Post by BatteryMill »

mjhale wrote: May 1st, 2024, 7:08 pm Some of the change has probably come from Wegmans needing to adapt to get into the higher density developments like Reston and Tysons Corner that have opened in the past couple of years. Also, I have to wonder how much cost is a factor too. Construction costs and labor. Although the handmade signs and custom to store displays and decor might be nice, Wegmans probably wants to focus employee hours on making sure that the product is in its best form to keep up their quality reputation as they expand. I notice from the pictures on Google Maps that the Tysons location has the hanging decor murals just off the wall instead of attached. This will certainly make it much easier and cheaper to change things around over time. These recent stores aren't the same as the 2000s and 2010s "mega" Wegmans. Still, they have a long way to go before they loose the "aura" of Wegmans. I do hope that Wegmans keeps it here and doesn't go further down the road of bare bones. I just don;t think that is in their brand identity.
Good points, I don't feel like we can get the whole "street" or cavernous marketplace feeling we did back in the 00s. That and I believe the recession was what pared down Wegmans' design, as well as changing trends that make the stores appear brighter than before. I think Wegmans should balance both to keep their stores as an extra experience.
mjhale
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by mjhale »

BatteryMill wrote: May 10th, 2024, 7:32 pm
mjhale wrote: May 1st, 2024, 7:08 pm Some of the change has probably come from Wegmans needing to adapt to get into the higher density developments like Reston and Tysons Corner that have opened in the past couple of years. Also, I have to wonder how much cost is a factor too. Construction costs and labor. Although the handmade signs and custom to store displays and decor might be nice, Wegmans probably wants to focus employee hours on making sure that the product is in its best form to keep up their quality reputation as they expand. I notice from the pictures on Google Maps that the Tysons location has the hanging decor murals just off the wall instead of attached. This will certainly make it much easier and cheaper to change things around over time. These recent stores aren't the same as the 2000s and 2010s "mega" Wegmans. Still, they have a long way to go before they loose the "aura" of Wegmans. I do hope that Wegmans keeps it here and doesn't go further down the road of bare bones. I just don;t think that is in their brand identity.
Good points, I don't feel like we can get the whole "street" or cavernous marketplace feeling we did back in the 00s. That and I believe the recession was what pared down Wegmans' design, as well as changing trends that make the stores appear brighter than before. I think Wegmans should balance both to keep their stores as an extra experience.
Have you visited either the Tysons or Reston locations? The pictures online are very focused on the "market" area of the store - bakery, deli, meat, prepared foods. All of those look nice and should be kept. Also, it seems both stores based on the pictures have the extensive beer and wine sections that Wegmans is known for. Again, important as wine especially is a part of an upscale meal. If Wegmans needs to scale down, they could drop the housewares and dinnerware sections. Keep the kitchen gadgets and small kitchen tools. Also, they could drop some of the specialty "natural" HBA items. In the larger Wegmans stores I frequent, I never see anyone buying any of that stuff. I'm talking the bulk soap bars and stuff like that.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

mjhale wrote: May 18th, 2024, 4:55 pm
Have you visited either the Tysons or Reston locations? The pictures online are very focused on the "market" area of the store - bakery, deli, meat, prepared foods. All of those look nice and should be kept. Also, it seems both stores based on the pictures have the extensive beer and wine sections that Wegmans is known for. Again, important as wine especially is a part of an upscale meal. If Wegmans needs to scale down, they could drop the housewares and dinnerware sections. Keep the kitchen gadgets and small kitchen tools. Also, they could drop some of the specialty "natural" HBA items. In the larger Wegmans stores I frequent, I never see anyone buying any of that stuff. I'm talking the bulk soap bars and stuff like that.
True, but the market area is more condensed and more homogenized in decoration than before. Beer and wine, has, however greatly increased in visibility in the chain. Even Wegmans in Pennsylvania have added alcohol sales, or relocated that out of the Market Café bubble.

Wegmans has already pared down general merchandise in their newer stores. Chantilly for example has only a little more than one aisle dedicated to kitchen wares, home goods, you name it. I wouldn't mind seeing those sections at least diversified with more types of GM, and indeed HBA shrunk a little.

On a similar note - I'm a little late to this, but it seems as if Wegmans' The Buzz coffee shops are going away. I guess it might be due to a lack of profitability or cutting ties with the supplier, but I'm baffled because of how much coffee shops (especially those from Starbucks) have gained prominence in grocery retail over the years. Goes to show how much Wegmans is cheapening the store experience. Bulk food dispensers have vanished as well in the past year.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

BatteryMill wrote: Yesterday, 2:11 pm
mjhale wrote: May 18th, 2024, 4:55 pm

True, but the market area is more condensed and more homogenized in decoration than before. Beer and wine, has, however greatly increased in visibility in the chain. Even Wegmans in Pennsylvania have added alcohol sales, or relocated that out of the Market Café bubble.

Wegmans has already pared down general merchandise in their newer stores. Chantilly for example has only a little more than one aisle dedicated to kitchen wares, home goods, you name it. I wouldn't mind seeing those sections at least diversified with more types of GM, and indeed HBA shrunk a little.

On a similar note - I'm a little late to this, but it seems as if Wegmans' The Buzz coffee shops are going away. I guess it might be due to a lack of profitability or cutting ties with the supplier, but I'm baffled because of how much coffee shops (especially those from Starbucks) have gained prominence in grocery retail over the years. Goes to show how much Wegmans is cheapening the store experience. Bulk food dispensers have vanished as well in the past year.
I was at Germantown the other day---total sprawlburg and traditionally enormous store. If they have space, Wegman's seems to fill it. I can't think of many chains that haven't shrunk their GM, including housewares. Giant carries more than Safeway but that may have something to do with their history of running early Food/GM combos, even though that was quite long ago. And Giant used to carry more than they do now. These items might have better markeups and not be perishable in anyway, but they don't seem to be high volume. A foodie will buy this stuff at Williams-Sonoma.

I wouldn't make much about coffee bars closing or not being added. For every one of these in any chain that seems to have customers outside of the morning rush (my nearest Safeway, for example), there are others that don't seem to do well enough customers to pay for themselves---my Whole Foods has a combo coffee/growler/customer service desk that seems to have gotten rid of the beer and barely gets anyone for the coffee (which isn't very good, anyway). The Giants I usually visit in DC and MD don't have coffee. Heinen's, a high end chain in Ohio, has never bothered with coffee bars.