Thunder in the Produce Aisle

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Thunder in the Produce Aisle

Post by Brian Lutz »

While going back and reading a thread on Chowhound that I contributed to some time ago, one of the posts on that thread complained about the use of seemingly random cheesy thunder sound effects in the produce aisle at a Publix store. These sound effects come from an automatic misting system that sprays water on the cold produce cases at regular intervals, and serve as a warning that the system is about to spray. A number of the Safeway stores around here use these systems with the thunder sound effects. I'd be curious to know how widespread these systems are, and what other sound effects might be used elsewhere (the local QFC uses a similar system, but replaces the thunder sounds with a simple doorbell.)
Alpha8472

Re: Thunder in the Produce Aisle

Post by Alpha8472 »

I have heard the thunder in Safeway stores. Albertsons used to use a doorbell sound on their newer and remodeled stores. The former remodeled Albertsons stores around me still use the doorbell sound. I prefer the doorbell sound over the fake thunder sound.

I believe some older supermarkets in my area lack the automatic spray. Employees use small hoses to spray produce.
krogerclerk
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by krogerclerk »

They have been fairly universal to Kroger in the Atlanta division since the mid-90's. BiLo even uses the effects in their produce departments.
drpep
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by drpep »

At the Tops Supermarket in Ithaca, NY they play "Singing in the Rain" before the misters start. I've also heard thunder.