romleys
Cashier
Cashier

CLOSED PW Market Livermore,CA

Post by romleys »

storewanderer

Re: CLOSED PW Market Livermore,CA

Post by storewanderer »

This was a very nice store, however, I am not real surprised. I never saw much customer traffic in this store and I was in it quite a few times. The fresh areas always looked very good, which is unusual for a low volume store. The prepared food operation was the best I've seen and tasted in any supermarket anywhere. http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/PW/
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

It appears they also closed:

1421 Foxworthy San Jose

2277 Alum Rock Road San Jose (wasn't this their original)?
romleys
Cashier
Cashier

Post by romleys »

Im not too suprised the Alum Rock store closed, it was quite dated and rather filthy. The location was VERY GOOD though but the PW prices were far to pay for people living in that part of San Jose.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alum Rock was a great location but it was a real dump. I suspect that store needed investment and PW was not the best use of that space and probably didn't really know how to serve that type of a customer either. A Grocery Outlet would be more fit. There was no room to do much of anything on the perimeter (did they have a small deli in there?) and perimeter is what PW does best. As far as 1421 Foxworthy I think that was a small store very close to their other larger store at Foxworthy/Meridian. I was never in 1421 Foxworthy; what was it like?

PW did recently take one of the Constantino's locations over, back in March. They must not be in that bad of shape as a company since they were able to do that...

Note that they own the Livermore location. I wonder if they own all of their stores. That store must have really been posting operating losses.
romleys
Cashier
Cashier

Post by romleys »

1421 Foxworthy Ave. was labeled "Foxworthy Foods by PW". It was obviously a one off store to get such a name. The place was doing a horrible business on a Saturday back in Spring 2009. Im not one bit suprised that the store has closed. Back on the Livermore location though the area in which the store was located was hit very hard by the foreclosure crisis.
romleys
Cashier
Cashier

Post by romleys »

Zanottos Market is opening a store in one of the former PW locations...
http://sanjose.bizjournals.com/sanjose/ ... tory5.html
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Zanottos, I am surprised. I think the City of San Jose subsidizes their store downtown. I am always surprised when I hear them expanding or thinking of expanding. I know they were very interested in the Bird Ave. Albertsons.