Cashier

Save Mart (Stockton) Fire

Post by romleys »

tesg
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Re: Save Mart (Stockton) Fire

Post by tesg »

I walked around it in Google Street View. Quite a neighborhood.

The store had been closed long enough at 8:30pm for nobody to be there? The fire department had to cut through a steel roll-up door to enter the thing? Yikes.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The store looks like it is really old and really small for a grocery store. It looks like some kind of small neighborhood market from the 50s. I wonder how it managed to stay open for so long. There appears to be very little parking in the area. The fact that it closed down so early probably meant that it wasn't getting much business. However, since the area looks so rundown the rent for the building was probably very low.

I believe an independent pharmacy called Stockton Pharmacy was also destroyed. That is unfortunate. There are so few independent pharmacies left these days. It looks like a little drug store from the 50s.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

It sounds like the store had a leased bakery and pharmacy if I read the article right. I've driven by this store and it is really a nasty area but the store looked like quite a throwback. I was never quite courageous enough to go in. Frankly I wasn't even tempted.
Groceteria
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

Post by Groceteria »

A few readers might not be aware that the Stockton Save Mart stores are not connected with the big chain in the Central Valley that also owns the Lucky stores in the Bay Area. This is a different (local) chain of about three stores. The bigger chain operates in Stockton as S-Mart Foods (or at least they did last time I was there). Just FYI...