Monochromatic colors

California. No non-grocery posts.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Monochromatic colors

Post by ClownLoach »

Seems to be a strange new trend developing in shopping centers, usually grocery oriented ones, where the entire center is being repainted in monochromatic gray and white.

For most of the last decade newer centers had tans and creams and beiges usually with rock accents. In the last 6 months I've observed a large cluster of centers suddenly repainting in this monochrome scheme at least here in SoCal - Marina Pacifica in Long Beach (Ralphs FF), Seal Beach Towne Center (Ralphs, Target), The District in Tustin (large big box center with Target and Costco and Whole Foods), Laguna Niguel Town Center (Ralphs FF), and several others. If it's colorful it's being wiped out. Not sure what is driving this exterior design trend but it is making for a very gray world out there...
Alpha8472

Re: Monochromatic colors

Post by Alpha8472 »

The Target in Walnut Creek, California which seems to get a remodel every year was repainted from cream and beige to gray and white. It seems to be a trend to go gray. I think it looks awful. The Target store is also getting an expansion right now. I am eager to see the new color scheme. I hope it will not be gray again.
magowan
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by magowan »

Not a good look agree - it’s been a big home interior trend for about 5 years now but seems to be going back to warmer and more colorful looks in the last year.

Strip malls probably on the tail end of design trends
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

My theory is that it reflects the mood of the country. We are living in difficult times right now, with COVID, income inequality, inflation, and so on. Therefore, people will respond better to somber, depressing architecture.

During the age of optimism in the 90s, architecture was more colorful and upbeat.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I thought the gray color was to hide dirt and grime better. I see it on floors in retail stores in addition to building exteriors. The gray color also really hides things like stucco cracks well. Have seen a lot of gray in hotels built in the past 5 years. I usually seek out new hotels but after a couple gray Hilton Garden Inns I started to look elsewhere.

However there is a gray exterior El Pollo Loco with a lot of colors in a small strip and combined with windows I think it is a sharp looking exterior. This building was built as El Pollo Loco in the early 90's and closed pretty quick under the old Denny's parent ownership, and was other concepts for a while, then reopened as El Pollo Loco again a few years ago with a complete remodel inside and out.
3829.jpg
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The chickens are so fresh at that El Pollo Loco. They are still walking around.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: December 23rd, 2021, 11:58 pm The chickens are so fresh at that El Pollo Loco. They are still walking around.
They are doing a good job overseeing the operation. The food was excellent, service prompt and efficient, and restaurant very clean inside. The group of chickens overseeing the filthy Circle K south of here along 99 are doing a poor job. The army of chickens overseeing the WinCo doesn't seem to have any impact on things.

https://www.instagram.com/chickensofyubacity/?hl=en
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: December 24th, 2021, 1:17 am
They are doing a good job overseeing the operation. The food was excellent, service prompt and efficient, and restaurant very clean inside. The group of chickens overseeing the filthy Circle K south of here along 99 are doing a poor job. The army of chickens overseeing the WinCo doesn't seem to have any impact on things.

Any chickens overseeing the KFC there? :lol:
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: December 24th, 2021, 10:07 pm
storewanderer wrote: December 24th, 2021, 1:17 am

Any chickens overseeing the KFC there? :lol:
KFC franchisee in Yuba City and some other markets in North State went out of business, it is now a Popeyes. It is a couple blocks east of Highway 99 and the chickens do not quite get that far yet. The chickens concentrate along Highway 99 south of the mall only (they don't seem to go to the mall).