Toys R Us To Open First Airport Store

Alpha8472

Toys R Us To Open First Airport Store

Post by Alpha8472 »

They will open a store at Dallas Fort-Worth.

https://chainstoreage.com/toysrus-partn ... port-store
storewanderer

Re: Toys R Us To Open First Airport Store

Post by storewanderer »

Not sure bulky plastic toy purchases are going to be a hot sell at airports. I guess we will see.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I was listening to a guy at the Toys R Us in Macy's and he didn't want to buy a big toy for his kid since he was going on a plane. Small items might sell, but then the prices would have to be high at airports.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: May 16th, 2023, 8:54 pm I was listening to a guy at the Toys R Us in Macy's and he didn't want to buy a big toy for his kid since he was going on a plane. Small items might sell, but then the prices would have to be high at airports.
I've seen some limited things like stuffed animals sell in airport shops but as far as toys go I really don't see much. More families are traveling than ever, so maybe they are going to be on to something here, but as someone who has spent far more time in airports and various airports around the US at that than I want to admit, walking around the shops, I just don't see this as a great idea or one that will make any money. It will be interesting to see how this works. Back in the 90's I would say you may be able to sell a fair amount of handheld game units like Game Boys etc., and the associated games, in an airport (but then I don't think you could play those in airplanes back then or could you?) but thinking of what a typical Target or Wal Mart toy department has in its aisles today I fail to see how much of that would sell in an airport setting. Even in an airport full of families like Long Beach, I just don't see it.

Now if someone put a Disney operated shop in Long Beach or Orlando airports they may be on to something...
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

storewanderer wrote: May 17th, 2023, 12:03 am
Now if someone put a Disney operated shop in Long Beach or Orlando airports they may be on to something...
Disney does have a shop (which sells mostly the same merchandise as the gift shops in the parks) in the Orlando Airport, as does Universal. Recently I also saw that there's a small Lego store in the Salt Lake City airport and based on a web search I see that JFK and Miami also have these, with one coming to DFW soon. Mostly small sets available for obvious reasons, but also a few medium sized ones. I'm guessing they do mostly "bring home a souvenir" business since trying to assemble a Lego set on a plane just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.