C&S new stores in the PNW

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

C&S new stores in the PNW

Post by marshd1000 »

So, if the FTC does let the Kroger Albertsons merger go through, there will be 180 stores in WA, OR, ID, AK in need of a new banner. Plus a small handful in UT & MT. C&S will own the rights to the QFC name plus the vast majority of the actual stores. Compared to the time before Kroger bought Fred Meyer and QFC, the stores in most locations are no longer as upscale as they used to be. So, I’m thinking that any Safeway or Albertsons and possibly a Haggen or two that are sold to C&S in Western Western Washington and Portland /Salem metro will become QFC. I’m thinking that for most people now, it is no longer seen as being that upscale anymore.

Most likely the two to three Safeway bannered stores in Alaska that will go to C&S will become Carr’s. I’m sure that will work as that is well known in Alaska and they can play up their Alaskan heritage. But outside of Western Washington, Portland Metro and Alaska, I’m wondering if we could see QFC stores in Eastern Washington & Oregon, plus Idaho, Utah? Or could they use the Carr’s banner in those areas? When I was a child, there were still some Piggly Wiggly stores in Tacoma/Pierce County and South King County. Would C&S bring that banner back to the PNW or Montana or Utah?
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: C&S new stores in the PNW

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

marshd1000 wrote: September 9th, 2023, 12:18 pm
Most likely the two to three Safeway bannered stores in Alaska that will go to C&S will become Carr’s. I’m sure that will work as that is well known in Alaska and they can play up their Alaskan heritage. But outside of Western Washington, Portland Metro and Alaska, I’m wondering if we could see QFC stores in Eastern Washington & Oregon, plus Idaho, Utah? Or could they use the Carr’s banner in those areas? When I was a child, there were still some Piggly Wiggly stores in Tacoma/Pierce County and South King County. Would C&S bring that banner back to the PNW or Montana or Utah?
QFC might work in the eastern parts of WA/OR, as there are many people from Seattle that have moved there since the pandemic. Idaho and Utah, I doubt it.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: September 9th, 2023, 1:53 pm
marshd1000 wrote: September 9th, 2023, 12:18 pm
QFC might work in the eastern parts of WA/OR, as there are many people from Seattle that have moved there since the pandemic. Idaho and Utah, I doubt it.
I'm 99% sure that the stores will be called QFC but they will need to overcome a perception of having high prices.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Idaho is one area where I would expect them to keep the Albertsons name, given that's where the chain started, and the fact they have an existing store base. I could see Albertsons and Fred Meyer co-existing in markets such as Boise. Safeway has faded away already in the southern part of Idaho, but still has stores in the northern part of the state.

I am still curious how this is going to affect the stores in very close proximity to one another. Such as Baker City, where Albertsons and Safeway are almost directly across from each other, as well as Battle Ground, where there is an Albertsons and Safeway a mile apart with a Fred Meyer in between, or Salmon Creek where there is a Safeway, an Albertsons recently rebranded to Safeway a mile away, and also a Fred Meyer in between....
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

Super S wrote: September 10th, 2023, 6:20 am Idaho is one area where I would expect them to keep the Albertsons name, given that's where the chain started, and the fact they have an existing store base. I could see Albertsons and Fred Meyer co-existing in markets such as Boise. Safeway has faded away already in the southern part of Idaho, but still has stores in the northern part of the state.

I am still curious how this is going to affect the stores in very close proximity to one another. Such as Baker City, where Albertsons and Safeway are almost directly across from each other, as well as Battle Ground, where there is an Albertsons and Safeway a mile apart with a Fred Meyer in between, or Salmon Creek where there is a Safeway, an Albertsons recently rebranded to Safeway a mile away, and also a Fred Meyer in between....
I’m not surprised that Kroger kept the Albertsons name in Idaho and other areas. But I don’t think that any Fred Meyer stores are in danger of being closed or sold. C&S couldn’t have handled the general merchandise. In the past, Kroger liked consolidating banners. In Phoenix for example Fred Meyer and Smith Became Fry’s and Fry’s Marketplace. Same with Utah where Fred Meyer became Smith’s Marketplace. Seattle and Portland are notable exceptions where they operate both Fred Meyer and QFC separately. Will they do that in Boise and have both Fred Meyer and Albertsons or will Fred Meyer become Albertsons Marketplace? Obviously, the Albertsons banner will be reduced but yet have good representation in Boise. But maybe QFC or Piggly Wiggly or Carr’s might be used on the divested stores? The other thing I noticed is that Albertsons seems to not have a problem with having more than one banner on an ad! For the grocery ads, will we see joint Fred Meyer/Safeway ads or Fred Meyer/Albertsons ads? Will Kroger build some new Marketplace stores such as Safeway Marketplace or Jewel/Osco Marketplace? Or get crazy in West Texas and build United Marketplace?
bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

Super S wrote: September 10th, 2023, 6:20 am Idaho is one area where I would expect them to keep the Albertsons name, given that's where the chain started, and the fact they have an existing store base. I could see Albertsons and Fred Meyer co-existing in markets such as Boise. Safeway has faded away already in the southern part of Idaho, but still has stores in the northern part of the state.

I was thinking about the same thing, especially in an Oregon context.

Here are some of the Oregon stores that will most likely change (at least in the areas I am familiar with, bypassing the mess that is Portland), given they're either next to a Fred Meyer, or fairly close to one.

The Coast:
Coos Bay (next to Fred Meyer)
Florence (Safeway and Fred Meyer are on opposite sides of town, but are the only traditional grocers. They have a Grocery Outlet too.)
Newport (FM and Safeway next to one another)
Tillamook (only two traditional grocers in town)
Astoria/Warrenton? They do have a Walmart in town too, but not enough to counteract Kroger owning 2/3 of the major grocery stores.

I-5:
Ashland Albertsons?
Medford Crater Lake Hwy and/or Stevens Street Safeway?
Grants Pass G Street Safeway
Roseburg Safeway
Springfield Q Street Safeway and Albertsons?
Eugene Chamber St, Royal St, Albertsons?
Corvallis Pacific Hwy Safeway North
Albany Safeway
South Salem Safeway
Salem N Lancaster Dr Safeway
Newberg Safeway (across from Fred Meyer)
Wilsonville Safeway
Sherwood Safeway? (given proximity to Tualatin FM and Newberg FM)
Oregon City Albertsons
Tigard Albertsons?

Hwy 97:
Klamath Falls Albertsons?
Bend South Albertsons
Bend North Albertsons or Bend East Safeway
Redmond Safeway
The Dalles Safeway

Northern Nevada is fairly easy:
Sparks Safeway
South Reno Safeway or Smith's
Elko Albertsons?
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

babs wrote: September 9th, 2023, 6:33 pm I'm 99% sure that the stores will be called QFC but they will need to overcome a perception of having high prices.
I expect that the high prices will remain under this scheme, so there's not much need to overcome any perception of it.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

Brian Lutz wrote: September 10th, 2023, 4:15 pm
babs wrote: September 9th, 2023, 6:33 pm I'm 99% sure that the stores will be called QFC but they will need to overcome a perception of having high prices.
I expect that the high prices will remain under this scheme, so there's not much need to overcome any perception of it.
In the areas where QFC hasn’t traditionally been, Eastern Washington and Oregon south of Portland, people may balk at the high price perception of QFC. I personally don’t think their prices are too bad but the lower income areas won’t want that perception of higher prices! QFC might do well to go back to their 1970’s/‘80’s slogan “Quality With Competitive Prices”!
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

bryceleinan wrote: September 10th, 2023, 2:44 pm

Here are some of the Oregon stores that will most likely change (at least in the areas I am familiar with, bypassing the mess that is Portland), given they're either next to a Fred Meyer, or fairly close to one.

The Coast:
Florence (Safeway and Fred Meyer are on opposite sides of town, but are the only traditional grocers. They have a Grocery Outlet too.)
Astoria/Warrenton? They do have a Walmart in town too, but not enough to counteract Kroger owning 2/3 of the major grocery stores.

I-5:
Ashland Albertsons?
Roseburg Safeway
Albany Safeway
South Salem Safeway
Wilsonville Safeway - being on different sides of the freeway would be the case for keeping this one. I don't think this is a very high volume store though. Ironically Albertsons still controls the lease for the vacant Albertsons store next to Fred Meyer. I'd sell that one to get our from under the lease.
Sherwood Safeway? (given proximity to Tualatin FM and Newberg FM) - Sherwood is it's own market and explosive growth north of the city means this stays.
Oregon City Albertsons
Tigard Albertsons? - I think this stays. It was just turned into a Safeway. Fred Meyer has been poking around the area for a potential new store. The high growth of the area and lack of grocery stores makes a case for keeping this one.

Hwy 97:
Bend South Albertsons
Redmond Safeway
The Dalles Safeway

Sparks Safeway
Elko Albertsons?
So the question comes down to how far do they have to go to divest. Are the Albertsons > Haggens > Albertson stores going to stick around or will they have to go now again? Some comments above.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

bryceleinan wrote: September 10th, 2023, 2:44 pm

The Coast:

I-5:
Ashland Albertsons?
Roseburg Safeway
Albany Safeway
South Salem Safeway
Wilsonville Safeway
Sherwood Safeway? (given proximity to Tualatin FM and Newberg FM)
Oregon City Albertsons
Tigard Albertsons?

Hwy 97:
Bend South Albertsons
Redmond Safeway
The Dalles Safeway

Sparks Safeway
Elko Albertsons?
Odds are this wave 1 is easy divests, meaning no possibility of avoiding a sale. They're all going to be situations where an ACI store is across the street or just around the corner from a Kroger store, as well as select situations where an ACI is across from another ACI and they got away with it before. They're going to claim if any competitor exists including Walmart in those small towns that there's choice. When they lose that argument then they'll surrender another store in the Wave 2 sale. But I would not assume that two stores in the same small town on opposite ends of town would guarantee one is being sold right now. The meager store count being sold in California indicates that they're only selling "next door neighbor" locations right now. They want to keep every building possible unless they're told to sell it.