Mcdonald's Phasing Out Self Serve Drinks

Alpha8472

Mcdonald's Phasing Out Self Serve Drinks

Post by Alpha8472 »

Mcdonald's will phase out self serve drink machines. McDonald's says it wants to make the experience consistent. Mobile orders already have drinks poured and ready to go.

However, I believe that they want to combat soda theft and discourage refills.

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/mcdon ... s-by-2032/
storewanderer

Re: Mcdonald's Phasing Out Self Serve Drinks

Post by storewanderer »

I think this is also due to dine in business being down so much they cannot justify the equipment at this point. Busier locations should keep it.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

More like the situation with the “street people” lounging around the dining room getting continuous refills.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

"Make the experience consistent" is just about the stupidest justification. Why does this need to be consistent between mobile and in-person orders?

I'm sure they have another motivation, like being able to charge for refills.
howardebucee

Post by howardebucee »

HCal wrote: September 12th, 2023, 12:03 am "Make the experience consistent" is just about the stupidest justification. Why does this need to be consistent between mobile and in-person orders?

"Make the experience consistent" (or any similar phrasing thereof) is just meaningless MBA speak used to polish a turd customers will be getting in order to them to cut costs.

The new Bojangles CEO has peddled the same thing with his (IMO ridiculous) decision to remove bone-in chicken, many of the sides and many of the breakfast items from the menu in their new expansion markets such as Texas.

Now Texas has a complex history/culture, but the specific markets Bojangles are expanding into (The Texas Triangle) are a lot more Southern than not. So as you imagine, these new prototype Bojangles stores that mostly only sell Fries, Biscuits, Chicken Sandwiches and Chicken Strips are going over like a lead balloon (in a region, BTW, where Raising Cane's & Chick-Fil-A are already dominating and both do in fact actually offer a great experience from a Customer Service standpoint).
Last edited by howardebucee on September 12th, 2023, 12:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: September 12th, 2023, 12:03 am "Make the experience consistent" is just about the stupidest justification. Why does this need to be consistent between mobile and in-person orders?

Three locations in Reno that have done this already have posted signs that state sorry no refills.

The franchisee's office states due to health department rules once a cup goes over the counter it cannot return back to the kitchen. That is true.

About 3 or 4 years ago, they did this at one South Lake Tahoe location. They have the soda machine directly behind the cash registers. I watched someone walk up for a refill and they removed the lid and the employee then stuck that cup into the ice to get ice, contamination of the entire ice bin occurred. Luckily I hadn't ordered yet.

So now if I order a drink there, I order no ice on the drink, then hit the kiosk for 2 or 3 separate cups of ice (since only the small cup is .00). The cups of ice are usually only 50% full. Really dissatisfied by all of this. Only go in on Friday for the free fry and I'm getting tired of that.
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

I honestly think mcdonalds is going to phase out the dining rooms since transients loiter in there or outside the dining room they are always panhandling. a lot of the mcdonald's locations in fresno are very unsanitary and i will always opt for drive-thru. the recently remodeled locations in fresno have already taken out the self serve soda machine and they have eliminated $1 fountain drinks and they keep all the bathrooms locked now. i do think the future mcdonald's locations could look more like a rally's/checkers model of grab and go.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Like the original McDonald’s….a drive-in with a few tables in front.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

reymann wrote: September 12th, 2023, 12:50 pm
I honestly think mcdonalds is going to phase out the dining rooms since transients loiter in there or outside the dining room they are always panhandling. a lot of the mcdonald's locations in fresno are very unsanitary and i will always opt for drive-thru. the recently remodeled locations in fresno have already taken out the self serve soda machine and they have eliminated $1 fountain drinks and they keep all the bathrooms locked now. i do think the future mcdonald's locations could look more like a rally's/checkers model of grab and go.
Though the couple locally most recently remodeled (or replaced totally) still have seating, just not the self-serve machines. Perhaps that also depends on where they are.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

Yeah this sounds like a way to keep people from getting a water cup and getting soda, or getting refills. But if I’m dining in, I’m not going to upgrade my drink size.

Wendy’s when the soda machine was behind the counter, would issue a new cup for refills.

Also McDonalds is the only fast food restaurant I’ve seen with “maximum 45 minute” visit limit signs in the dining room.