Sears Tukwila, WA

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Super S

Sears Tukwila, WA

Post by Super S »

I visited the Sears in Tukwila, WA (Southcenter) a few days ago. This store looks like it could go under at any time.

I was greeted upon entry by the strong smell of mold in the A/C system which has worsened since my last visit, and at that downstairs mall entrance, I noticed a lot of lights burned out.

The tool section, now on the first floor, is very limited. Lots of hand tool sets were present, the peghooks were nearly all locked up, and a lot of tool sets were locked inside the former jewelry cases. Very little power tools, no large ones like table saws etc. No lawn & garden, mowers, etc.

The clothing is spread very thin around the rest of the downstairs with a lot of odd varieties, and some items had Kmart price tags. Very little selection of stuff like bedding. Portions of the downstairs were blocked off by shelves.

Upstairs, it is pretty much the half closest to the mall entrance devoted to mattresses, and what is left is appliances in random places. The entry to the parking garage is blocked off.

The third floor is closed.

Departments that are missing: Jewelry (as mentioned already) mowers and other lawn & yard tools, hardware, sporting goods, electronics, vacuum cleaners (some bags were present in the locked tool (jewelry) cases), work clothes, automotive, and many other items a typical Sears would have carried when they were doing well.

I made the visit quick due to the mold smell. It was bad enough I started coughing. I can't believe how long this has persisted, and it is only getting worse. I might have missed a few items but I had to get out due to the mold.

I think I saw maybe 3 or 4 employees in the whole store, with only one on the entire bottom floor. Upstairs they were all at a desk in the mattress area.

Sears needs to close this location, it is well past its prime, is not being maintained, and offers nothing special as far as merchandise.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Sears Tukwila, WA

Post by babs »

Maybe they can close it and reopen it in time for next Christmas? Seriously, what's left of the chain needs to go away. SouthCenter might be the hottest retail location in the Seattle market. That store has to be worth more dead than alive.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Super S wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 5:52 pm I visited the Sears in Tukwila, WA (Southcenter) a few days ago. This store looks like it could go under at any time.

I was greeted upon entry by the strong smell of mold in the A/C system which has worsened since my last visit, and at that downstairs mall entrance, I noticed a lot of lights burned out.

The tool section, now on the first floor, is very limited. Lots of hand tool sets were present, the peghooks were nearly all locked up, and a lot of tool sets were locked inside the former jewelry cases. Very little power tools, no large ones like table saws etc. No lawn & garden, mowers, etc.

The clothing is spread very thin around the rest of the downstairs with a lot of odd varieties, and some items had Kmart price tags. Very little selection of stuff like bedding. Portions of the downstairs were blocked off by shelves.

Upstairs, it is pretty much the half closest to the mall entrance devoted to mattresses, and what is left is appliances in random places. The entry to the parking garage is blocked off.

Departments that are missing: Jewelry (as mentioned already) mowers and other lawn & yard tools, hardware, sporting goods, electronics, vacuum cleaners (some bags were present in the locked tool (jewelry) cases), work clothes, automotive, and many other items a typical Sears would have carried when they were doing well.

I made the visit quick due to the mold smell. It was bad enough I started coughing. I can't believe how long this has persisted, and it is only getting worse. I might have missed a few items but I had to get out due to the mold.

I think I saw maybe 3 or 4 employees in the whole store, with only one on the entire bottom floor. Upstairs they were all at a desk in the mattress area.

Sears needs to close this location, it is well past its prime, is not being maintained, and offers nothing special as far as merchandise.
Sounds like the All New Sears Burbank, Now Open!
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Super S wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 5:52 pm I visited the Sears in Tukwila, WA (Southcenter) a few days ago. This store looks like it could go under at any time.

I am confused how they are keeping such a poorly maintained building at what is such a prime mall.

How does this work? Ultimately whatever the issue with this building is, will need to be addressed, when they go find a new tenant. Unless there is some kind of plan in the works to just flat demolish this building entirely.

Mold or similar in the building is a very serious issue with significant dangers. The worst part of this is for the employees. I would quit.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: November 4th, 2023, 1:31 am

I am confused how they are keeping such a poorly maintained building at what is such a prime mall.

How does this work? Ultimately whatever the issue with this building is, will need to be addressed, when they go find a new tenant. Unless there is some kind of plan in the works to just flat demolish this building entirely.

Mold or similar in the building is a very serious issue with significant dangers. The worst part of this is for the employees. I would quit.
Maybe they don't want an empty anchor space and made a deal for Sears to stay. Maybe they want to claim that they are one of the last malls left with a Sears (although that doesn't really mean much). I don't know. But, it's hard to imagine what kind of retailer would take over the whole space, especially one healthy enough to invest in HVAC replacement, among other things that will be needed. The only department store chain that comes to mind, if anybody, would be Dillard's. I would bet that the space will eventually be divided up, or rebuilt as something else.

Southcenter is unique with the large amount of space it has with its newer wing, but also has an older wing and mostly older anchors which are starting to show their true age a little.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Super S wrote: November 4th, 2023, 8:41 am

Maybe they don't want an empty anchor space and made a deal for Sears to stay. Maybe they want to claim that they are one of the last malls left with a Sears (although that doesn't really mean much). I don't know. But, it's hard to imagine what kind of retailer would take over the whole space, especially one healthy enough to invest in HVAC replacement, among other things that will be needed. The only department store chain that comes to mind, if anybody, would be Dillard's. I would bet that the space will eventually be divided up, or rebuilt as something else.

Southcenter is unique with the large amount of space it has with its newer wing, but also has an older wing and mostly older anchors which are starting to show their true age a little.
I could see a Dick's or a Scheels place a flagship store there. Otherwise it's going to get cut up. No matter who takes it they'll gut the space which should take of whatever the issue is.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

babs wrote: November 4th, 2023, 7:50 pm

I could see a Dick's or a Scheels place a flagship store there. Otherwise it's going to get cut up. No matter who takes it they'll gut the space which should take of whatever the issue is.
Sears did a leaseback sale on the property in 2018...

And.... The store is being marketed by JLL right now with immediate availability. So sounds like the Southcenter Sears is going the way of the Dodo bird soon. Although the listing says first floor the square footage is obviously the whole building at 169,416 Sq ft. With the immediate availability flag this store could theoretically close any day now with little notice and potentially no liquidation. Hopefully they spray everything for mold before moving it to... Maybe Union Gap?

https://property.jll.com/listings/south ... washington
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: November 5th, 2023, 3:15 pm
babs wrote: November 4th, 2023, 7:50 pm

Sears did a leaseback sale on the property in 2018...

And.... The store is being marketed by JLL right now with immediate availability. So sounds like the Southcenter Sears is going the way of the Dodo bird soon. Although the listing says first floor the square footage is obviously the whole building at 169,416 Sq ft. With the immediate availability flag this store could theoretically close any day now with little notice and potentially no liquidation. Hopefully they spray everything for mold before moving it to... Maybe Union Gap?

https://property.jll.com/listings/south ... washington
Maybe after the reopening in Union Gap they can go ahead and reopen Aberdeen too. I am sure it is still available. The surrounding mall is closed now but that shouldn't matter.

I would argue Southcenter may be the most visible Sears still open.

Concord and Stockton are still open as well.

I think we can officially say Sears is going to make it into 2024.
greenfalcon
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by greenfalcon »

storewanderer wrote: November 5th, 2023, 9:13 pm

The Stockton store building is still in decent shape, employees there seem hopeful that the location will make it in to the new year. I'm surprised the former auto center hasn't been leased out.

I see some other stores are getting some new merchandise in, Stockton seems to be missing out on it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

greenfalcon wrote: November 5th, 2023, 9:28 pm
storewanderer wrote: November 5th, 2023, 9:13 pm

The Stockton store building is still in decent shape, employees there seem hopeful that the location will make it in to the new year. I'm surprised the former auto center hasn't been leased out.

I see some other stores are getting some new merchandise in, Stockton seems to be missing out on it.
On the Reddit there are reports that some merchandise that was slated for these stores had to go to Burbank (and I guess now Union Gap).

It seems like they needed to have more merchandise lined up in order to do these reopenings.