Karmelkorn

Super S

Karmelkorn

Post by Super S »

It appears that this chain still exists, but their website currently lists only 25 locations. I know at one time they had locations in most major malls nationwide, but now, according to their website, are mainly clustered in the midwest, with a few random locations in California, Arizona, and Tennesee. What caused their downfall? Their website has a very basic, and very vague, history section. However it is worth noting that it says that in 1986 they became part of IDQ (Dairy Queen/Orange Julius).
Alpha8472

Re: Karmelkorn

Post by Alpha8472 »

Karmelkorn was bought by Dairy Queen years ago. However, Dairy Queen and Karmelkorn are owned by Berkshire Hathaway, which is one of the biggest and most powerful companies in the world. Warren Buffet controls Berkshire Hathaway.

Karmelkorn and Dairy Queen are franchised restaurants. This means that local owners own the stores and pay money to use the Karmelkorn and Dairy Queen names. The name will live on since it is owned by a such a big and powerful company, but selling popcorn by itself is hardly a way to make a living.

Some of those locally owned shops using the Karmelkorn name have probably closed their stores and moved on to more profitable ventures such as opening up Subway franchises.
Super S

Post by Super S »

It seems though that the stores could still work in some mall locations though. Portland's Lloyd Center has an independent "Carmel Corn" type of shop that has been there for many years.
KingU8ol0Soopers
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

Post by KingU8ol0Soopers »

I wonder if franchisees are allowed to combine different restaurants together. For example, having a Dairy Queen or an Orange Julius and then having Karmelkorn as something on the side. Kind of lime what you see sometimes with the Yum! Brand restaurants (a KFC and Taco Bell under the same roof, for example).
Forum Moderator
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

There are combination Dairy Queen and Karmelkorn restaurants. This is usually found at DQ locations in malls. Dairy Queen and Karmelkorn are part of the same company so there is no competition there. Karmelkorn is unlikely to survive on its own. A Dairy Queen would attract much more business and keep the Karmelkorn side of the restaurant alive. Karmelkorn is best suited for malls, but DQ can survive as as standalone restaurant in a mall or street location.
KingU8ol0Soopers
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

Alpha8472 wrote:There are combination Dairy Queen and Karmelkorn restaurants. This is usually found at DQ locations in malls. Dairy Queen and Karmelkorn are part of the same company so there is no competition there. Karmelkorn is unlikely to survive on its own. A Dairy Queen would attract much more business and keep the Karmelkorn side of the restaurant alive. Karmelkorn is best suited for malls, but DQ can survive as as standalone restaurant in a mall or street location.
Thanks for verifying that. While I was writing my last post, I forgot that in Colorado Springs, there is a DQ/Orange Julius combo store, so I could have easily answered my own question. :)

On a side note, in malls, you will often see DQ and an Orange Julius using the same space. However, at the Chapel Hills Mall in Colorado Springs, there is a DQ and an Orange Julius, but they are separate restaurants, practically located across from each other.
Forum Moderator
Super S

Post by Super S »

In malls, I have also seen Orange Julius and Dairy Queen as two seperate businesses, sometimes across from each other, sometimes close by. I think it is safe to assume that these are often under different franchise operators, as I have seen them open/close independently of one another. I have seen a few Dairy Queen/Orange Julius combos in malls, but not in any standalone locations.
KingU8ol0Soopers
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

Here's a shot from Google Streetview of a stand-alone Orange Julius and Dairy Queen. When the shot was taken, the building was under construction, but you can still see elements in the coloring (the orange, for example) that an Orange Julius would have.

http://goo.gl/maps/0hAEb
Forum Moderator
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Super S wrote:In malls, I have also seen Orange Julius and Dairy Queen as two seperate businesses, sometimes across from each other, sometimes close by. I think it is safe to assume that these are often under different franchise operators, as I have seen them open/close independently of one another. I have seen a few Dairy Queen/Orange Julius combos in malls, but not in any standalone locations.
There is one here in NY (Ghent) where an existing Dairy Queen (which has been there for quite a long time) added the Orange Julius (about a year or so ago). It is a freestanding building, and a small town where it's the only "fast food" option (no McDonald/BK/Wendys etc.).