Save Mart Hot Chinese Kitchens Closed

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Save Mart Hot Chinese Kitchens Closed

Post by storewanderer »

I was in a couple of Save Marts today and noticed they shuttered the hot chinese food kitchens in the stores. The stores are the former Safeway in Tracy on 11th Street and the former Lucky on Marsh in Stockton acquired in 1997 from ASC.

Both hot chinese food kitchens are remnants of the prior operators.

In the Tracy store, they have various large beverage packages covering about 1/2 of the side wall where bakery/deli/hot chinese food was. The bakery in this store is practically closed; most of the equipment even appears to have been removed. The chinese food equipment has also been removed, I think. The store had one checkstand open this afternoon mid day. The Safeway across the street had a full parking lot; hundreds of cars present.

In the Stockton Store, they took down the fixture for the department and shut down half of the hot case and kept the other half open for fried chicken and related items. They put tissue paper or something in the case that is no longer being used. All of the equipment was still present. They removed their department sign from the wall which gave way for a sign scar of an old Lucky "Oriental Kitchen" sign. This store also had very light traffic this afternoon with one checkstand open and few shoppers.

These are the only two Save Marts I have ever seen with a company operated chinese food area. Are there any others?

I know a few Lucky Stores with leased hot chinese food departments, remnants from Albertsons.